Author Topic: BONNEVILLE N W REUNION 2016  (Read 64563 times)

gkabbt

Re: BONNEVILLE N W REUNION 2016
« Reply #105 on: February 17, 2016, 07:53:23 PM »

Mike, Check your PM's and give me a call.

Gregg
« Last Edit: February 17, 2016, 07:57:36 PM by gkabbt »

Offline Freud

« Reply #106 on: February 18, 2016, 12:25:49 PM »
Welcome Gregg.

Get some rest and I'll see U Friday.

The shuttle driver will take You to a car rental place if U need a car.

Just ask.  It's nearby.

I think You will be the long distance traveler.

FREUD
Since '63

gkabbt

« Reply #107 on: February 18, 2016, 10:38:39 PM »

Thanks Freud,

Rested and looking forward to tomorrow.

I do have a CRAP rental car (unlike your Bonneville Chrysler Cordoba from years past) and have been doing some exploration of this area. Talked with Stainless, ORB and met 4-Barrel Mike. Going to ORB's tomorrow,

Also, in addition to the cost of the hotel and car rental, I ordered a racing torque converter from A-1 Performance Trans and Converters for my truck so this trip is getting to be $$$$ and I ain't done yet.....LOL!

C'ya tomorrow night,
Gregg 

Offline wheelrdealer

• D/CBGALT
    • WHEELRDEALER RACING
« Reply #108 on: February 18, 2016, 10:40:19 PM »
Doc.

Have a great reunion... I am there in spirit.

Bill R.
ECTA    Maxton D/CGALT  Record Holder 167.522
ECTA    Maxton D/CBGALT Record Holder 166.715

WWW.WHEELRDEALER2100.COM

gkabbt

« Reply #109 on: February 18, 2016, 10:42:51 PM »

Bill.....I'll be representing the South for us this year!!!!!

Gregg

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #110 on: February 18, 2016, 11:20:48 PM »
Giovanni, paesano!  It was great meeting you today.   :cheers:

See you Friday evening.

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

gkabbt

« Reply #111 on: February 18, 2016, 11:33:17 PM »

Mike.....Giovanni, paesano! You make me blush.....LOL!

GREAT meeting you today as well!!!!!

Also GREAT collection of STUFF.....DON'T sell any of it!

C'ya tomorrow night,
George

Offline salt27

« Reply #112 on: February 20, 2016, 08:25:46 AM »
Photos, I'm not going to be there, I need photos.    :cry:

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #113 on: February 20, 2016, 11:54:32 AM »
Don, you know Mike doesn't allow photos... might scare the women and children  :roll:  Oh wait.... I'm thinking One Run...
 :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Freud

« Reply #114 on: February 20, 2016, 02:51:41 PM »
Too many things to do to post the video. Besides it hasn't even been downloaded but it will be.

Mike has had a recent back surgery and I just about hung him out to dry too long before he

was given a tall chair.  He discussed the surrounding salt basins around B'ville, the two sites in

South America, and the gypsum runway in New Mexico that was built as a back up site for the

shuttle and Australia.

He is sending Rocky to South America before long to scope out Salar De Uyuni in Bolivia.

The Red Bull F1 team ran there a while back but their purpose was not a LSR. This site

has a distinct possibility. Salinas Grande, Argentina, has 100 miles of salt that is 10 feet thick

but it also has constant wind that is above the FIM limit for records. It's elevation, 11,000 feet, is

a challenge for aging crews.

White Sands, New Mexico has around 7 miles of gypsum runway that could be used, B U T, as always

there is a but involved. It has had no maintenance for a long time. It's not long enough for

400+ MPH records and who wants to clean the car after running on wet gypsum. It is available.

If you just have to run Mike says Australia is our best bet. He plans to run there in 2017 if

Bonneville is not useable. Treit and Davenport are also considering Australia in 2017. Shipping,

vehicle availability and the support of the Aussies are all pluses.

In Mike's opinion patience is the proper behavior related to Bonneville. The two adjacent unused

salt flats next to Bonneville just won't happen. Access, I know you can just look right over there and

see it, and the documents required to run a Speed Week type of event are not achievable. I know,

he wants to run as much as anyone but when he turning away from those two sites should convince us

that it's not going to occur. Andy Green wanted to run there but they also decided against it.

When one has to deal with Mutha Nature and the BLM you are playing against a marked deck.

So run the pavement sites that are available, wait for Bonneville or go to Australia are his recommendations.

Soon I'll post the almost hour long video that I shot.

Again, Patience folks.

One Run Bob expressed it in his refined attitude, "Patience HELL, I wanna race."

« Last Edit: February 20, 2016, 02:59:00 PM by Freud »
Since '63

Offline Malcolm UK

« Reply #115 on: February 20, 2016, 03:54:05 PM »
Not just American teams will be digesting this information.  Of course many will be waiting to hear Mike's voice and the manner in which he described the options. With the Bloodhound SSC 'lock' on Hakskeen Pan until after they run their 1000 mph bid, any new information from an experienced project leader is vital to planning. Thanks Freud and Mike A. :cheers:
Malcolm UK, Derby, England.

gkabbt

« Reply #116 on: February 21, 2016, 08:56:14 PM »

I can honestly said I had a GREAT time. Good visits with Mike and Bob.....Guys, please don't sell anything! 
Also met/talked with many from here on lr.com.....some I knew, some I didn't.

Freud, I'm so glad I decided to do this. MANY, MANY THANKS to you for putting this on.....again!     
I'm already thinking about it for next year!!!!!   

Gregg

Offline BSTER

« Reply #117 on: February 21, 2016, 09:37:02 PM »
Frued:  Thank-you for yet another great event.  It is good to get together with the like minded Bonneville Racing fanatics.  Had a Great time and even learned a few things.  Hope to see everyone on the Salt this year.  Lets get those race vehicles Ready.  Thanks again Frued.

Offline Polyhead

« Reply #118 on: February 22, 2016, 09:49:39 PM »
staying in the bar too long, talking gear head crap, and having to walk 4 miles home from the airport, totally worth it. :D

I had taken maxx over there, knowing I was going to the bar, didn't want to drive.  Lots of great info... now to go get myself some gm door lock linear servos.
Ben 'Polyhead' Smith
  KE7GAL

Offline Kiwi Paul

« Reply #119 on: February 24, 2016, 01:08:08 AM »
Those two scruffy looking fellas with caps on gabbing to each other look really suspect. I especially am disturbed by the one leaning on the pillar with the envelope. Thank Goodness there aren`t any wires  or strange chemicals coming out of there. The fella in the red sweatshirt looks a bit alarmed. Oh Boy! :-D