Author Topic: UTAH ALLIANCE  (Read 134786 times)

Offline Elmo Rodge

Re: UTAH ALLIANCE
« Reply #75 on: September 30, 2015, 07:57:54 PM »
Cool. I hope her colleagues come on board.  :cheers: Wayno

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #76 on: September 30, 2015, 10:35:04 PM »
« Last Edit: October 04, 2015, 01:02:51 PM by Peter Jack »

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #77 on: October 01, 2015, 01:39:37 AM »
After much thought, and using the Alliance form letter only as an outline, I contacted my representative and senators.

My concern in constructing the letters was making it relevant to their political outlooks and agendas.

To my Congresswoman, Gwen Moore, a champion of Great Lakes water conservation, I emphasized the environmental issues.

To Senator Johnson, I focused on BLM management issues, and emphasized that it is not the Alliance's intent to stop mining operations, but to simply insure the continued recreational use of the Speedway.

To Senator Baldwin, I pointed to the history of the Blue Flame - made in Milwaukee - and that it was the last American Absolute Land Speed Record holder to have raced on the flats.

To both Senators, I pointed to the consistent number of entries Wisconsin sends to Bonneville during all of the events, and that this is not just a "Western States" issue.

So now, the most hated institution in America is aware of my concerns.

I remain concerned about the regional nature of the arguments being proffered on all sides, and trying to translate our concerns to a national audience is no easy task.  I was able to personalize my communications to my DC contingent in ways I hope will be effective - and the name "Milwaukee Midget Racing" probably worked to my advantage - but I still live in a state where federally controlled lands are less than 6% of the total.  Utah clocks in at 66%, and I have serious doubts as to whether any of the Wisconsin legislators can wrap their heads around the issues involved with land not in private hands.  

The racing and automotive recreational communities are already in our court - yes, there is still a lot of low hanging fruit there - but that support doesn't have the exponential ability to draw new eyes to this issue.  

If we continue to simply target the racing communities, and seeing the past racing experiences and likely contacts within the Rolodex files of many LSR racers, I think all we'll really discover is that the Venn diagram looks a lot like a dart board.

Somehow, we need to reach beyond ourselves - we're still just preaching to the choir.  
« Last Edit: October 01, 2015, 09:16:30 AM by Milwaukee Midget »
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

velocity

« Reply #78 on: October 03, 2015, 04:48:12 AM »
WELL DONE Milwaukee Midget!

if we could have about 499 more of you it would surely "save the salt."

velocity

« Reply #79 on: October 03, 2015, 04:50:35 AM »
Folks

Please visit the new, updated Save the Salt Foundation website:

http://www.savethesalt.org/

This is the site sponsored by the STS coalition and thanks go out to the Washington DC staff for stepping up to the task.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2015, 02:38:58 AM by velocity »

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #80 on: October 03, 2015, 11:32:50 AM »
The STS site doesn't tell us anything beyond the fact the meeting on the 24th happened & everybody was positive, did I miss something there?
So Louise, since you are the mouth piece here, what are the next steps for STS & the Alliance?

Are any of the government departments actually doing anything other than going back to their political agendas?

Referring to your open door policy, what were the proposals put forward at the closed meeting after the salt tour on the 24th?

As you know I was there for the tour but not privy to the closed meeting so my knowledge is minimal & most everybody else here know's less than I do.
  Sid.   

Offline joea

« Reply #81 on: October 03, 2015, 12:42:19 PM »
Ok, trying to keep the dialogue correct to hopefully facilitate progress.

The form letter posted in this thread to streamline communication mentions:
"For additional information please contact the Utah Alliance to Save the Salt at www.save-the-salt.org."

Then on this thread we are asked to please visit the new savethesalt.org site

On the savethesalt site homepage:

Save the Salt Foundation is a nonprofit organization whose mission is to protect the Bonneville Salt Flats in Utah and to promote its history and motorsports legacy. The organization aspires to keep this national treasure available for future generations. In 2011, a number of prominent organizations formed the "Save the Salt Coalition" to help the nonprofit organization achieve its goal. The Coalition is seeking to restore the Bonneville Salt Flats. The Coalition is working with government officials, mine operators and others to supplement the current salt replenishment activities.

Yet on the same site, clicking on "Coalition" tab:
Save the Salt Coalition (STS) was founded in 1989 by racers, businesses and community members

Under "News" on the same site, "Stakeholders meet..."
“Although concerns about deterioration at Bonneville have existed for decades, today marked the first time officials representing government, industry and racers sat at the same table to discuss solutions,” said Doug Evans, chairman of the Save the Salt Coalition. “We are finally at the starting line in the race to save Bonneville.”

Its been frustrating in talking to folks to get the word our effectively, when form letter directs folks to Utah Alliance, though we are directed to the STS site which refers to Coalition
and Foundation, and has different dates of existence but all same goals.....

The donation and support and allowing of entities (STS) to work on progress has been done by the racers etal and after 26 yrs.... according to STS Sept 15, “We are finally at the starting line in the race to save Bonneville.”

hoping to streamline who I forward entities and racer support to

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

velocity

« Reply #83 on: October 04, 2015, 03:36:35 AM »
No one is more aware of the confusion that I when talking about the various groups, websites and reporting process.

It is why I got involved. The original STS Foundation website was a complete disaster for many reasons with the only way forward being dumping the internet provider and creating a complete new website with a new service provider. That took time and is now done with more documents and new images posted that ever before. The big change is when you land on the home page you get news right in your face, not hunting for it on other pages. Any breaking news will be posted here first.

I still need to read the website thoroughly and correct deficiencies. It is work in progress, but at least now we CAN make changes easily.

The Utah Alliance (UA) website is almost totally the work of Roger Lessman, who first taught himself HOW to build a website and then just did it. The idea for the UA website was to initially to share the VOLUMES of material and images that a few of us had collected trying to figure out how Bonneville got into the sorry state of affairs that it is in.

We also wanted to post updates on our work and we also recognize that we can state things quicker and with more bite that the STS Foundation. Further, the Coalition that must be mindful of not only its contributing patrons, but also member (AMA, ACCUS, FIA et al) reputations.

Absolutely essential to the implementation of ANY restorative actions is establishing relationships with political allies educating them about the situation as well as developing a science based engineering plan that we (STS and UA) that we will be asking them to endorse.

This all takes an enormous amount of time. And it may not happen according to the timetable you believe it should. NONE of us are doing this full time or are being paid. Some days are fruitful and highly  productive, other days are frustrating wheel-spinners that make me walk away for a couple days.

As to the closed door meeting on the 14th - it was critical to ensure the main players sat down and TALKED to each other WITHOUT angry people in the room. Understand that was the first time that Intrepid, BLM, STS, elected officials and other agency reps gathered together to hear the RACER point of view. Just becasue you showed up did not mean you got a seat at the table we had spent more than a month setting up.

The result? Open lines of communication were established on federal, state and local levels - public and private. Intrepid is actually contributing to solution options that an Salt Lake engineering firm is sorting out for a realistic position statement that will lead the discussion of what action to take in the short and long term. Keep in mind, this is federal land governed by federal law and policy which must be adhered to at all times. One agenda item can take 3 to 4 weeks to sort out.

The Utah Alliance has led a charge that has accomplished more in 3 months than STS and Coalition has done in three years. Both are needed and necesaary. We believe they have been invigorated. The STS Foundation the board of directors were stagnated. This is being corrected. Announcements are coming.

In a nutshell, here is how this is working: the STS Foundation is the original racer formed group that has the 501c3 status. The STS Coalition's main function is to support the STS Foundation with guidance at the federal and state level. SEMA donates staff time to the cause that amounts to about $20,000 to $30,000 in staff time per year and includes a booth at the SEMA Show. Three SEMA staff showed up on the 14th on the salt - thank you SEMA. The Utah Alliance was formed because some racers were frustrated with the lack of action by STS or the STS Coalition. We figured we could do better and we have, but we do not wish to throw anybody under the bus, we simply want the salt restored and are marching onward to that goal. Frankly, if things keep going along as they are now, the Utah Alliance might revert to working on a local, "in the trenches" position in the future.

But we will not slow down now, not until the position statement is verified by the engineer and action plans get approved.

I am DONE talking about the past unless it has a clear reason to add to the future path forward. And to those mean-spirited people who enjoy personal attacks: please also enjoy being ignored.

I have to earn a living. This pro bono work has, since early August, gobbled up more than 300 unbillable hours . . ., and counting.  I have spent a couple thousand dollars out of my savings account to get things done and attend meetings.

And for what? I don't have a car, truck or motorcycle hungry for a record. I have never earned a time slip on the salt, let alone a bright colored hat. I do this becasue I am adamant that a great American motorsport heritage is not squandered for lack of attention and mismanagement. Land speed racing, in my opinion, is where one finds a phenomenal American "can do" spirit that attracts the whole wide world. To lose it would be tragic.  

Jinx and Rick Vesco, Roger Lessman and Dennis Sullivan have all contributed much the same. There are plenty of others with lesser devotions, but without them we'd not so far along.

I'll end with asking: Have you contacted your Congressional leaders with at least a phone call, and follow-up letter voicing your anger about the state of the salt flats?

If not, get your butt in gear, we need every one of you to do this. Every single one.

There will be plenty of news by the SEMA Show. Stand by.

« Last Edit: October 04, 2015, 03:59:35 AM by velocity »

Offline tauruck

« Reply #84 on: October 04, 2015, 03:52:13 AM »
Thanks Louise. :cheers:

Offline lvsalt

• http://www.dcwaterjet.com
« Reply #85 on: October 04, 2015, 10:02:48 AM »
Thanks Louise :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Gary Cole     DCWATERJET Z

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #86 on: October 04, 2015, 12:34:31 PM »
  In my opinion We Racers are all standing on the precipice of a very deep canyon.  We may in fact have seen the last of racing on the Bonneville Salt Flats or at the very least for the near future... meaning that those of us in the Autumn of our lives may never visit the "five mile" sign again.
  I stated in a post about a month ago that unless STS opened up to Us (Racers and Donor's alike) that I feared infighting would split our community apart and destroy any chance at recovery of our racing  again at Bonneville.
  What I have been witness to in the last Month has been a remarkable metamorphosis of STS, the SCTA- BNI,USFRA and SEMA to form the Utah Alliance and hold talks with The BLM, Intrepid Industries, and The State of Utah along with other groups with a interest in the restoration of the Salt Flats.
  I do not believe that We would be seeing this happening so soon without the hundreds of posts on this (and related) topics on this wonderful site which have at the very least spurred immediate action and helped publicize the necessity to aggressively take action to restore the Salt Flats and its racing surface by whatever means Legally available.
  What is the most important thing to remember is that We are ALL equal in wanting this to be resolved.  It is (in my opinion) time for each and every one of Us to remain focused on the goal and to act as One.  Forget the past.  Quit playing the "blame game".  Stop arguing over who gets publicity, who pointed a finger at who, and what if any compensation is being given to ANY and ALL of the unpaid volunteers  who have formed the Utah Alliance and continue to push our agenda forward.
  I would ask each and every one of us to refrain from any form of infighting, name calling, or whining about what others have posted on this site.
  If you have a gripe, P.M. the person or email them. If you have individual concerns contact The Utah Alliance personally. Discussion on this site remains important but only if it is not infiltrated with personal animosities and needless bickering. THIS IS OUR LAST SHOT............  LETS TAKE IT AS A UNITED GROUP.
                                                               Sincerely, Bob Drury
« Last Edit: October 04, 2015, 12:36:04 PM by Bob Drury »
Bob Drury

Offline gnomenator

« Reply #87 on: October 04, 2015, 01:39:38 PM »
Very WELL said,Bob  :cheers: :cheers:

Offline desotoman

« Reply #88 on: October 04, 2015, 03:41:44 PM »
To Louise, Jinx and Rick Vesco, Roger Lessman, Dennis Sullivan and all the other people involved in the Utah Alliance,

Thank You for your time and effort.

Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #89 on: October 04, 2015, 03:59:13 PM »
AMEN to that, Tom.  :cheers:

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ