Author Topic: Stop Mining the Salt Flats Petition  (Read 42357 times)

Offline Dakin Engineering

Re: Stop Mining the Salt Flats Petition
« Reply #60 on: August 17, 2015, 11:59:42 AM »
The petition may not be getting the support it needs due to the broken link included.
Here is the link;

http://www.blm.gov/pgdata/etc/medialib/blm/ut/salt_lake_fo/planning/documents.Par.17457.File.dat/Intrepid%20EA.pdf

I think it makes clear that the Salt Laydown Project has not only failed in rebuilding the crust, it has actually accelerated the problem.

Please! Take the time and read the BLM's OWN WORDS!

Sam
Turbo Sportsters since '97

Offline Buickguy3

« Reply #61 on: August 17, 2015, 06:51:58 PM »
   I have forwarded it and sent it to many on my mailing list who like cars/racing but have never been to the Salt. I have gotten messages back from five that they have done the same. I have gotten the petition from five different people but that's OK too. Just keep it rolling.
   Doug  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
I keep going faster and faster and I don't know why. All I have to do is live and die.
                   [America]

« Reply #62 on: August 17, 2015, 08:50:53 PM »
Some folks may not care to take the time to read it.
Here are some verbatim from the BLM document;

The predicted +2 inches of thickness addition to the salt crust (Bingham, 1991, p. 435) as a result of the Laydown Project was not observed at any of the multi-year monitoring locations upon conclusion of the five-year experiment.

6.2 million tons of sodium chloride as human-made enriched brine was pumped back onto the Bonneville Salt Flats from 1 November through at least 30 April for five consecutive years.
4.0 ENVIRONMENTAL IMPACTS 
UTU-087809-087818 
UT-020-2006-002 
3. During the same time period an estimated 4.2 million tons were removed by the production 3ditches leaving 2 million tons that went directly to the shallow brine aquifer

Salt Laydown:  The impacts would be the same as described in the Proposed Action except for the fact that there would be no production monitoring approved and a material balance would not be calculated and the company would not be required to continue if they for business reasons decide it is not in their interest to do so.

Salt Laydown: The Alluvial Fan aquifer would continue to be pumped at the rate of approximately 1.2 billion gallons per year (Intrepid, 2008, p.72) the permit issued by the Utah Division of Water Rights allows Intrepid to pump 8.6 billion gallons per year. Based upon earliest data (Turk, 1969, p.77 ) and the information submitted by Intrepid Wendover in the mining plan in 2008, indicates there has been an increase in salinity in the Alluvial Fill aquifer from 8,200 ppm TDS to over 18,000 ppm (Intrepid, 2008,p. 8).  Individual wells have not been tracked but, these figures are based on the average of all the wells.  The effect of this pumping shows the Alluvial Fan aquifer is interconnected with the Shallow Brine aquifer and the pumping of the Alluvial Fan aquifer is drawing some of the brine from the Shallow Brine aquifer.  As the Alluvial Fan aquifer becomes more saline, the company would have an increasingly difficult time using this water for the intended purpose.

AND BINGO! IN BLACK AND WHITE!
Salt Laydown:  The water component of the shallow brine aquifer is thought to be recharged from direct precipitation and the minerals recharged from relatively slower processes, as brine is drawn off by potash extraction operation, the mineral concentration of the aquifer is slowly decreasing by the amount of production each year.  Therefore by supplementing the mineral recharge only “as site conditions dictate (Intrepid, 2008, p. 94) the proposed action could eventually reduce the concentration of minerals in the shallow brine aquifer north of I-80.  This could result in the leaching of more salt from the salt crust into the aquifer and reducing the size and thickness of the crust

Sam

Offline Heliophile

• Design and construction of an LSR MC Streamliner
« Reply #63 on: August 20, 2015, 02:49:26 PM »

There was a song which said, daddy take us down to Murimber county, down by the green river where paradise lay, I'm sorry my son, but you're too late in asking, Mr peabody's coal train done hauled it away!
We can change a few words and march down to the Whitehouse and chant it. You never know what makes some of these power players tick.
[/quote]

Here are alternate lyrics that I wrote about a year ago:

An Intrepid Tale

Daddy, please take me to the Bonneville Salt Flats,
Where white ancient sea salt lies thick on the clay.
I’m sorry, my son, but you’re too late in asking,
Intrepid™ has stripped it and hauled it away.

Offline Speed Limit 1000

« Reply #64 on: August 20, 2015, 04:49:24 PM »
Very sad, but true :cry:
John Gowetski, red hat @ 221.183 MPH MSA Lakester, Bockscar #1000 60 ci normally aspirated w/N20

Offline Heliophile

• Design and construction of an LSR MC Streamliner
« Reply #65 on: August 20, 2015, 05:19:56 PM »
Me too.
There was a song which said, daddy take us down to Murimber county, down by the green river where paradise lay, I'm sorry my son, but you're too late in asking, Mr peabody's coal train done hauled it away!
We can change a few words and march down to the Whitehouse and chant it. You never know what makes some of these power players tick.

I messed up the quote earlier today, did not show that I was quoting from Vinsky's earlier post.  My apologies, Vinsky.

« Reply #66 on: August 20, 2015, 05:54:59 PM »
"Where have all the Salt Flats gone?
Where have all the Salt Flats gone?
Long time ago?
Where have all the Salt Flats gone?
Gone to mining companies, every one."

Apologies to Peter, Paul, and Mary.
I think they'd approve.

Sam Dakin

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #67 on: August 20, 2015, 05:58:25 PM »
. . . and Pete Seger(sp?).

Don't know who wrote it.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

« Reply #68 on: August 20, 2015, 07:37:27 PM »
It is inappropriate to republish the works of others without EXPRESS consent.
(Mea culpa)

Sam

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #69 on: August 20, 2015, 09:23:39 PM »
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #70 on: August 20, 2015, 10:04:13 PM »
Thanx, Mike.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline DND

« Reply #71 on: August 20, 2015, 10:43:36 PM »
It is a very sad day when you wake up and have to face the Facts head on

R.I.P. Bonneville Salt Flats

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #72 on: August 21, 2015, 01:08:05 AM »
It is a very sad day when you wake up and have to face the Facts head on

R.I.P. Bonneville Salt Flats

There's a difference between a wake and a wakeup.

What we're seeing today is the latter.  If we act in one voice, I think the former can be deferred.

"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

« Reply #73 on: August 21, 2015, 07:44:08 PM »
1700!

And the XL Forum (http://www.xlforum.net/) is on board.
It's a H-D Sportster (and Buell, RIP) focused site.

Sam
« Last Edit: August 21, 2015, 08:37:55 PM by Dakin Engineering »

Offline tauruck

« Reply #74 on: August 21, 2015, 07:54:49 PM »
I'm a member on that site.
Good bunch of guys. :cheers: