Author Topic: Stop Mining the Salt Flats Petition  (Read 42358 times)

Offline Ron Gibson

Re: Poor Salt Conditions - all topics merged into one
« Reply #30 on: August 13, 2015, 03:14:15 PM »
I know they pump coal in water as a slurry, solids and liquid. I don't know why it can't be done with granular salt as in their mountains of salt instead of just brine. If they put it back on the flats, mother nature could level and move it around at her leisure. At least it would be in the proper place and help with the healing (notice, I didn't say recover).

Ron
Life is an abrasive. Whether you get ground away or polished to a shine depends on what you are made of.

Offline kiwi belly tank

Re: Stop Mining the Salt Flats Petition
« Reply #31 on: August 13, 2015, 05:55:41 PM »
I understand that so much of the salt in their ponds is so hard packed they can't even rip it up with a dozer.
It was mentioned to me that "maybe we should just pay Intrepid & go race on their ponds".
  Sid. 

Offline dw230

« Reply #32 on: August 13, 2015, 06:53:20 PM »
I am sure that Intrepid and their share holders would welcome that liability.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline BasementBorn

« Reply #33 on: August 13, 2015, 07:13:21 PM »
I understand that so much of the salt in their ponds is so hard packed they can't even rip it up with a dozer.
It was mentioned to me that "maybe we should just pay Intrepid & go race on their ponds".
  Sid. 

I sort of think that is the real reason they pump salt back, it frees up space so they can continue to operate without having to find a more expensive way to get rid of the salt.
Gabe Gorton
Gorton Racing 1060 650APS-BG
Team Banana 1361 F/CPRO

Offline Dakin Engineering

« Reply #34 on: August 14, 2015, 01:43:28 AM »

Who came up with the idea you can drain and fill a pond at the same time?

Just askin'
Sam
Turbo Sportsters since '97

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #35 on: August 14, 2015, 02:57:34 AM »

Just askin'
Sam
Oh I really like this guy. :cheers:
  Sid.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #36 on: August 14, 2015, 11:38:55 AM »

Just askin'
Sam

Sam, that is how they "raised" salt back in the days of wooden ships and iron men.... islanders trapped and released water into a variety of ponds built on the coast...
Did you miss the part about Intrepid increasing efficiency... they don't need a way to get rid of salt, that is what rail cars do, they need a place to store all the water in the desert so they can use it again.
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #37 on: August 14, 2015, 12:06:25 PM »
Did you miss the part about Intrepid increasing efficiency... they don't need a way to get rid of salt, that is what rail cars do, they need a place to store all the water in the desert so they can use it again.

Bob, are they actually selling the salt?  I go to the Intrepid sales site, and the only source of salt sales I see indicates Moab.
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Ron Gibson

« Reply #38 on: August 14, 2015, 12:24:58 PM »
If they can't rip it up with a bulldozer, that is what the BSF "used to be like". What do we have now???

Ron
Life is an abrasive. Whether you get ground away or polished to a shine depends on what you are made of.

Offline crawford

« Reply #39 on: August 14, 2015, 12:29:58 PM »
So after you stop all the mining on the flats, how and who is going to pay for all that work you are sugesting? Just saying maybe it should be an effort with the racers and the Mining concerns to work towards a better Salt Flats. So as far as your petition goes put your money where your mouth is!!!!
Oh yea just so you know I'm not in the mining business, but I do care about the Salt Flats, and I don't even race.
Current Mayor of Wendover Utah, and life long race fan. owns Wendover Carquest auto-parts.

Offline Dakin Engineering

« Reply #40 on: August 14, 2015, 12:57:10 PM »
Mr. Crawford,
  My proposal is to shut off the pumps and fill the ditches.
I'll bring a shovel to World of Speed and get started.

Sam
Turbo Sportsters since '97

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #41 on: August 14, 2015, 01:00:28 PM »
So after you stop all the mining on the flats, how and who is going to pay for all that work you are sugesting? Just saying maybe it should be an effort with the racers and the Mining concerns to work towards a better Salt Flats. So as far as your petition goes put your money where your mouth is!!!!
Oh yea just so you know I'm not in the mining business, but I do care about the Salt Flats, and I don't even race.

And Mike, that's the whole rub.

Intrepid is the owner of the current conveyance of salt back to the north end.

Mike, I DID sign the petition - the reason being is that the issue needs to be looked at, awareness needs to be raised, and provided they're not moving the salt out of the area - there are those who contend otherwise - then I think Intrepid needs to put it back, and I think they need to be held to that task. 

And it's rare when a mining company has a cooperative and interested party involved that is actually helping to raise funds to do so.  I'm unaware of any mining company that has a watchdog such as Save the Salt that has actually invested money into the recovery process, rather than simply going for legal redress.

To those who say, "don't take it any further up the governmental chain", I can only say that even the BLM has admitted they have not been keeping close tabs on this issue.

Additionally, if the new potash extraction facility goes into operation, it will further depress local potash prices and make Intrepid less likely to even be ABLE to replenish the salt.

It's a sticky wicket.

A call to and from "upstairs" is in order, and even if the result is not what we would hope for, there's little reason to expect that continuing down the current path will provide results favorable to racers.

Respectfully yours,

Chris Conrad
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #42 on: August 14, 2015, 04:25:04 PM »
Mr. Dalton   thanks---- you get it  the solution is going to have to have a political side to it!!
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #43 on: August 14, 2015, 05:56:58 PM »

Bob, are they actually selling the salt?  I go to the Intrepid sales site, and the only source of salt sales I see indicates Moab.

Yes they are selling salt, I highly doubt they would be giving the stuff away. I have personally seen train cars loaded with the stuff (potash is not white), Trucks & trailers haul it to SLC for use as ice melt on the roads plus Shelton's also have a plant in Wendover with stock piles & they are packaging it & sending it somewhere other than the flats.
 Mike Crawford should be able to tell us about that.
  Sid.

Offline saltwheels262

• LTA 7/2013
« Reply #44 on: August 14, 2015, 06:08:41 PM »

[/quote]
Trucks & trailers haul it to SLC for use as ice melt on the roads
[/quote]

That should be way better than what's under Great Lake Erie.
I'm sure it takes care of ice and snow quickly.

Bf262
bub '07 - 140.293 a/pg   120" crate street mill  
bub '10 - 158.100  sweetooth gear
lta  7/11 -163.389  7/17/11; 3 run avg.-162.450
ohio -    - 185.076 w/#684      
lta 8/14  - 169.xxx. w/sw2           
'16 -- 0 runs ; 0 events

" it's not as easy as it looks. "
                            - franey  8/2007