Author Topic: Belly Tank Build Diary  (Read 363799 times)

Offline Stan Back

Re: Belly Tank Build Diary
« Reply #540 on: March 31, 2021, 06:11:36 PM »
With all those tire tracks on the beach -- I'da been tempted -- just for the experience.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Mike Brown

« Reply #541 on: March 31, 2021, 06:36:51 PM »
With all those tire tracks on the beach -- I'da been tempted -- just for the experience.

Stan,

Just to show you how much the temptation was I included a photo of the beach one evening, long wide and hardly any traffic. 

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #542 on: March 31, 2021, 07:08:57 PM »
Excellent!   :cheers:

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #543 on: March 31, 2021, 09:54:10 PM »
Dang sure wouldn't want to hit a course marker  :?  You might of had to pick a little sand out of your crack
 :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Mike Brown

« Reply #544 on: April 05, 2021, 01:09:26 PM »
The staff at the Texas Mile had a Facebook Live feed going during parts of the day.  The following link is a video of my second pass, https://www.facebook.com/1800170739/videos/10216023040567731/

Offline ronnieroadster

« Reply #545 on: April 05, 2021, 02:51:51 PM »
That's the best way to get it a nice strong tail wind good work Mike.  See you in July at Loring the extra half mile will be fun for sure.
Working in the shop I use the 'F' word a lot. No not that word these words Focus and Finish go Fast and Flathead Ford!
 ECTA  XF/BGRMR Record 179.8561
 LTA    XF/BGRMR  Record 200.921 First  Ever Ford Flathead Roadster to hit 200 MPH burning gasoline July 2018
 SCTA  XF/BGRMR Record 205.744  First gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to top 200 MPH at Bonneville August 7, 2021 top speed 219.717
 SCTA  XXF/BGRMR Record 216.131 plus a Red Hat
"Life Member of the Bonneville 200 MPH Club"

Offline Mike Brown

« Reply #546 on: October 01, 2021, 09:38:31 AM »
Looking at the wear pattern on the front tires I suspected that there was too much toe in.  I originally aligned the chassis with strings and plumb bobs and tape measures but did not have confidence in the toe in measurements.  I decided to improve on the methodology.  I used 1 inch square aluminum tube machined to bolt onto the front hubs.  By leveling the chassis and the tubes I felt that I could accurately measure the toe in directly on the tubes sticking out in front of the chassis.  To my surprise there was about a 1/4" of toe in, way to much for any application.  I corrected the toe in to 1/16".  Note that by securing the tubes vertical I could also measure the camber accurately.  Next up a few passes at the local drag strip for a "handling" run. 

Offline Mike Brown

« Reply #547 on: October 01, 2021, 09:46:01 AM »
I went to the local 1/4 mile dragstrip for a test & tune session.  Normally I can make three passes in an evening.  The venue was packed, there were hundreds of cars and we were only able to make a single pass.  I did manage 138mph in the quarter.  The car handled well.  I have been adjusting the rear tire pressure down slightly on each pass.  The pressure for this pass was down to 24psi and the contact patch is still about 3/4" from the edge.  The Hoosier circuit racing rear tires do not hook up as well as the drag radials. 

Offline Mike Brown

« Reply #548 on: November 17, 2021, 04:56:28 PM »
It pays to surround yourself with the brightest people you can find.  I wanted to add a fairing to the backside of the rear axle and was struggling some getting started.  A good friend that is a brilliant engineer that works in 3D along with a printer took a stab at creating a fairing for me.  He printed this section of a part that fits against the rear axle with slots for stainless steel hose clamps to secure it.  The section is thick and much stronger than I imagined.  I will provide him with a template to make a fairing for each side.  This was quite motivating to say the least. 

Offline Mike Brown

« Reply #549 on: November 23, 2021, 01:27:35 PM »
I decided to add inner wheel disks to the rear wheels while in the process of streamlining the rear axle.  I found four holes in the Wilwood disk brake mounts that could be tapped 7/16-20.  I machined standoffs from brass hex material 3/4" long to put the disks in the proper location.  The brass was tapped through and short setscrews secured with Loctite make the connection to the brake mounts.  7/16-20 bolts will hold the inner disks to the standoffs. 

Offline Mike Brown

« Reply #550 on: November 23, 2021, 01:28:30 PM »
I attached a photo of the mounts installed on the brake caliper mounting brackets. 

Offline Mike Brown

« Reply #551 on: November 23, 2021, 01:30:48 PM »
For serviceability I made the inner disks in two pieces.  The disks will need to be removed when I bleed the brakes.  I bleed the brakes before each event.  The disks are now back off the car for a quick coat of paint.  I will then begin working on the axle streamlining after the disks are reinstalled. 

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #552 on: November 23, 2021, 02:20:46 PM »
Mike, are those hard lines copper tubing or only copper-plated tubing? Copper tubing is not good for brake lines as it is subject to fatigue cracking from the pressure cycling of the brake fluid. Copper tubing isn't good for fuel lines either as copper is catalytic and hastens fuel chemical breakdown.
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline Mike Brown

« Reply #553 on: November 23, 2021, 03:50:38 PM »
The brake lines are NiCopp which are a combination of copper and nickel.  They are rated for use as brake lines and are much easier to bend. 

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #554 on: November 23, 2021, 04:32:44 PM »
I've never used those brake lines before, I'll have to have a look at NiCopp. Thanks, Mike.
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ