Author Topic: GOODGUYS GAZETTE DUMPS LANDSPEED LOUISE  (Read 20726 times)

velocity

GOODGUYS GAZETTE DUMPS LANDSPEED LOUISE
« on: January 15, 2015, 10:23:55 PM »
GOODGUYS GAZETTE DUMPS LANDSPEED LOUISE

IT WAS AN ODD, YET UNQUESTIONABLY PUZZLING WAY THAT I DISCOVERED I HAD BEEN FIRED. WHEN THE JANUARY 2015 GOODGUYS GAZETTE ARRIVED AND MY NAME WAS GONE FROM THE MASTHEAD, A SPOT IT BEEN FOR MORE THAN 12 YEARS, I FINALLY GOT THE MESSAGE. MY FUEL FOR THOUGHT COLUMN AND THE OCCASIONAL SPECIAL FEATURES AND PHOTOS WERE HISTORY.

EMAILS HAD GONE UNANSWERED FOR MONTHS AND PHONE CALLS WERE NEVER RETURNED. I SHOULD BE LIVID, BUT I AM ONLY SADDENED BY THE REALITY THAT THE ONE PLACE THE LAND SPEED RACING COMMUNITY COULD COUNT ON READING SOMETHING MONTHLY ABOUT THEIR MARVELOUS MOTORSPORT IN A NATIONAL PUBLICATION WAS NO MORE.

STILL, IT WAS A VERY GOOD, 12-YEAR RUN. 

“FUEL FOR THOUGHT” WAS CONSIDERED A “COLUMN” IN THE GAZETTE, BUT I TURNED IN FEATURE LENGTH ARTICLES NEARLY EVERY MONTH.  COLUMNS USUALLY RUN 300 TO 500 WORDS WITHOUT ANY ART, BUT MY OFFERINGS WERE ALWAYS 1,500, SOMETIMES 2,500 WORDS, OR MORE, PLUS PHOTOS.

GOD BLESS ‘EM -- THEY PUBLISHED EVERY ONE OF THEM IN THEIR ENTIRETY. I DIDN’T THINK MY COLD DISMISSAL COULD BE ABOUT MONEY BECAUSE I HADN’T ASKED FOR ONE RAISE IN 12 YEARS. 

OF THE 150 STORIES ABOUT LAND SPEED RACING FOR THE GAZETTE, A GOOD NUMBER OF MY COLUMNS WON INTERNATIONAL WRITING AND PHOTOGRAPHIC AWARDS FROM THE SOCIETY OF AUTOMOTIVE HISTORIANS (SAH), ALL AMERICAN RACING WRITERS AND BROADCASTERS ASSOCIATION (AARWBA), MOTOR PRESS GUILD (MPG), INTERNATIONAL AUTOMOTIVE MEDIA COMPETITION (IAMC).

IN 2009,  GOODGUYS NAMED ME  “WOMAN OF THE YEAR” AND PRESENTED ME WITH A FABULOUS HAND-CRAFTED PIECE OF ART FROM ARTIST EXTRAORIDINAIRE, THE LATE BOB MCCOY.

BECAUSE SO MANY LAND SPEED RACERS, ENTHUSIASTS, FAMILY AND FRIENDS HAVE TOLD ME THE ONLY REASON THEY BECAME MEMBERS OF THE GOODGUYS WAS TO GET THE PUBLICATION THAT CONTAINED MY FUEL FOR THOUGHT COLUMN, I AM OBLIGED TO INFORM YOU OF THIS ODD AND AWKWARD DEVELOPMENT.

PERHAPS YOU HAVE COME TO VALUE MORE THAN JUST MY WRITING AND WILL CONTINUE TO SUBSCRIBE, BUT NOW YOU HAVE THE FACTS TO DECIDE WHAT IS BEST FOR YOUR READING PLEASURE.

PLEASE DON’T ASK ME FOR THE “BACK STORY” WHEN YOU SEE ME, I SIMPLY DON’T KNOW ANYMORE THAN I HAVE WRITTEN HERE. THE ONES WHO HAVE, “THE REST OF THE STORY” (TIP-O-HAT TO MR. HARVEY) ARE VP OF MEDIA TRAVIS WEEKS AND EDITOR JOHN DRUMMOND AND THEY AREN’T TALKING – TO ME AT LEAST.

Offline tallguy

Re: GOODGUYS GAZETTE DUMPS LANDSPEED LOUISE
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2015, 11:33:12 PM »
I'm very sorry to learn this, Louise.

I appreciate your grace in the way you reported this.

Best of luck to you.  You're one of the true pillars of the land speed racing community.

Offline aircap

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2015, 12:04:34 AM »
Maybe they were just jealous of all your accolades.
"Act your age, not your shoe size". - Prince

Offline wheelrdealer

• D/CBGALT
    • WHEELRDEALER RACING
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2015, 12:49:43 AM »
Louise:

I am sorry to hear this. From a professional stand point you are a professional and should be treated with respect...even when the news is less than good.

One door closed but another will open. I always enjoy and learn from your articles and I'm certainly not alone in my thinking. Thanks for all you do for the sport. Someday, I hope to do something worthy of your pen...but for now I will gather my parts and rehearse my record run in my head until I can race again!

Take care,

BR

ECTA    Maxton D/CGALT  Record Holder 167.522
ECTA    Maxton D/CBGALT Record Holder 166.715

WWW.WHEELRDEALER2100.COM

Offline RogerL

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2015, 01:12:20 AM »
Dang Lou that sucks. If they wanted to part ways it should have been dealt with straight up. I really looked forward to your articles on LSR. The publication was the one place I could count on to something to read pertaining to LSR on a regular basis. I hope you find and outlet for your writing/journalism that we all can access in the near future. As far as the GGG, I won't be renewing.

Offline Tman

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2015, 12:24:47 PM »
You are not the only one Louise. gary is messing that place up royally. Too bad there aren't car folk working there anymore.

Offline Cameradude

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2015, 07:41:24 PM »
Giant BOOOOO!!! to Good-Guys. I called them a couple weeks ago and their spokesperson said she had no comment. I told here many many LSR fanatics read LSL's column and miss it!. Again, no comment.

Sad for Louise, her columns were great

Larry C.
Go fast, be safe, drive it like you stole it. Love life, your friends and the USA.

Offline ronnieroadster

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2015, 08:57:12 PM »
 I was wondering why the last few issues I received had no FUEL FOR THOUGHT from Landspeed Louise. Seems Goodguys once again is missing the point on what's important to many of their members. I will let any one I see from Goodguys know my displeasure with the missing Fuel For Thought. I enjoyed reading that column monthly dam this SUCKS !  :x
Working in the shop I use the 'F' word a lot. No not that word these words Focus and Finish go Fast and Flathead Ford!
 ECTA  XF/BGRMR Record 179.8561
 LTA    XF/BGRMR  Record 200.921 First  Ever Ford Flathead Roadster to hit 200 MPH burning gasoline July 2018
 SCTA  XF/BGRMR Record 205.744  First gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to top 200 MPH at Bonneville August 7, 2021 top speed 219.717
 SCTA  XXF/BGRMR Record 216.131 plus a Red Hat
"Life Member of the Bonneville 200 MPH Club"

Offline Hooley

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2015, 09:06:25 PM »
We're still your friends here. They don't have the nerve to tell you.
Hooley
"Just Glad To Be Here"

velocity

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2015, 11:03:48 PM »
Folks. . .

I very heartened by many people who have called and sent email about the upsetting situation, especially my many colleagues in the publishing business who have weighed in with very interesting back stories of their own, including open-door offers to contribute to their publications (national and international).

Thank you all for the various gestures of support. It tells me you value what I write about the land speed racing community and inspires me to continue. The book ought to be done by the summer.

Robin UK

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2015, 06:00:06 AM »
All those people with jobs one step forward. Not so fast you!!!  Seriously Louise that's a pretty crummy way to be treated after all that effort. Their loss will be somebody else's gain for sure.

Robin

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
    • Vance and Forstall Racing
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2015, 01:59:29 PM »
Had I known you did a monthly column I would have joined!!
WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE 213.470
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Engine by Knecum, Tuned by Johnny Cheese.
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing

Offline deucemac

« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2015, 01:34:07 AM »
Stopped by the Goodguys booth at the GNRS yesterday and voiced my displeasure about your departure. Two sales people working the booth  were clueless about dropping your column. They said a change in editors had caused more problems that just your column being dropped.  I told them to go to this site and see just how unhappy we are because of this terrible change. They wrote it down and promised to bring up to Gary to add to the other problems that have come up and need addressing and also for Gary to read our thread. So write here and hopefully, the GG powers that be will respond correctly and make amends. I hope it works!

Offline azgearhed

• 1979 Z-28 AA/CBGC & AA/CGC & AA/CBGALT
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2015, 09:36:49 AM »
Having been involved in LSR since 2011 and drag racing/hot rodding my whole life, I've been a member of GG almost since they started. These last 4 years the first thing I would look for in the Gazette was the Fuel for Thought column. With the exception of the SCTA Racing News, I'm not aware of any other monthly publications that have editorial articles on LSR, so it is puzzling that GG would drop your column. It was one of the few unique features of the GG gazette. Lets face it Meadors-a GG gazette from a year ago looks pretty much the same as the latest issue. The editorials and regular columns are what makes issues interesting. Hopefully there will be a return of Fuel for Thought to some publication. Thanks for the entertainment Louise.
BC Racing 1979 Z-28
AA/CBGC Record 251.802 Speed Week 2012
AA/CBGALT Record 255.382 Speed Week 2013
AA/CBGC Record 226.104 El Mirage Sept 2015
AA/CBFALT Record 227.954 El Mirage June 2016
AA/CBGC Record 267.878 Speed Week 2018
AA/CBGALT Record 236.458 El Mirage Nov 2016
It's a lot of work to have fun...