Author Topic: What do you think about cost control?  (Read 35707 times)

Offline 55chevr

Re: What do you think about cost control?
« Reply #45 on: December 28, 2014, 01:51:49 PM »
Nascar chassis is basically a 66 Chevelle with truck arms.   

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #46 on: December 28, 2014, 05:09:40 PM »
It is now and will always be about money! If you look at the circle track and road racing classes that use  "crate" motors you will still find that the consistent winners are the guys with the most money. One reason is that they don't buy just one crate motor, they buy 10 then dyno them all and pick the best 2 or 3 and sell the rest to their competitors! It is all about the money. When you start restricting innovation and engineering you make small, and expensive, improvements the difference between winning and second place. Run what ever you want for a motor  that fits the class you want to run but if you want a record or a "hat" you will have to step up to the "Horse power bar"!

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Jessechop

« Reply #47 on: December 28, 2014, 06:13:56 PM »
Cost "control" as it is labeled by many is nothing more than creativity control.

Take Smokey Yunick for example. He was involved in NASCAR untill the France's pushed him because of creativity. How would LSR be different today if Smokey had decided to go LSR racing instead. This is a guy who figured out how to build boost out of a sealed bellhousing and impeller shaped clutch. That sort of innovation is what LSR is about.

We can easily all go buy a new (Howe, Port City, Lefthander, etc.) car, turn key and go racing. Then have someone set it up for us and so on. Circle track racing was at one time pioneers of the sport, now most are just cookie cutter wanna-be's with big check books.

LSR on the other hand does cost a ton of money, however I bet a guy can go LSR racing for under $5k and have the time of his life

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #48 on: December 28, 2014, 06:42:26 PM »
Wow guys, settle down...

Again, it's not a matter of "low horsepower," but rather "reliable and repeatable horsepower."  .... Plus, the assumption is that once a spec car gets sorted, the owner would put a bigger motor and go for a record.  So the challenge is really for the car builder. 

Finally, I'll confess that I have a self interest in the challenge.  Two years ago, I converted my daily driver into a salt racer as a bucket list project for three friends to go 200 mph.  After we all got our "A" licenses, I started sneaking the rev limiter up and got to within 1-1/2% of the class record before I got too scared of breaking parts.  The plan was to return this year with a higher gear and get the record.  Then, since "that would have been so easy," I'd take the NASCAR motor out of the current car and go back next year to check off the 300MPH box in a new special construction car.  We all know what happened this year.  Now, since I only have so many seasons left, I'm thinking about taking two cars next year.  A spec challenge means I don't have to buy another big motor, but keeps a little friendly competition. 

Flame on.

Tom, Not planning a flame, but did you read that post...
What makes you think most people don't build a car, get it sorted, and then get serious to go after a record...

While I always shoot for a reliable engine, the difference between records and participants is the edge... and how close you are willing to run your motor to it.... where you are hoping you have a 10 mile motor, not an 8 mile motor....

If breaking the record is going to be that easy with your current car, get your red hats for you and your buddys and start building that 300 MPH car so you can get your blue hat next. If you worry about breaking parts you are in the wrong type of racing.  

What if the spec motor is a honda 2 liter.... now your screwed  :-o

Just go out and race, be safe, have fun, go fast  :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #49 on: December 28, 2014, 10:38:52 PM »
As Andy loves to say "We go to break, RECORDS or parts!!
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #50 on: December 29, 2014, 12:32:54 AM »
It is possible to race without breaking all sorts of parts.  A person just needs to be careful and to set realistic goals with that limitation in mind.  A lot of times that means no record.  Consider that a winner is a person who can walk away from a sport like this with his/her finances, health, marriage, etc intact.     

Offline ken s

• New folks
« Reply #51 on: December 29, 2014, 01:04:07 AM »
 Spec Class or business model for " Experience Bonneville Racing from the drivers seat " without having to actually build a car or anything , we do it for you.  You even have a chance at setting a real record on the famous Salt Flats with our fleet of proven cars. For $$$$$$$ you will be hands on experiencing an American tradition of racing without the hard work.  Blah blah blah  Check our ad on FACEBOOK and sign up now!!  Be a real Bonneville record holder today!

Ken S

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #52 on: December 29, 2014, 01:31:59 AM »
Sadly, There are hats out there that are hanging on that hat tree!
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #53 on: December 29, 2014, 08:32:01 AM »
It is possible to race without breaking all sorts of parts. 

Very True - everything I broke let loose before I even put the car on the trailer.  :wink:
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline mc2032

• Reliability and performance are highly overrated.
« Reply #54 on: December 29, 2014, 03:41:47 PM »
Getting into land speed racing was pretty cheap (recycled dragbike and a bunch of ebay/craigslist parts of questionable origin).  Staying in land speed racing has become more and more expensive.  I have a stash of broken parts to prove it.
#1032 1350 A, APS-PBG & F, #1000 I/BFL.  My number is 241.273.

Offline johnneilson

« Reply #55 on: December 29, 2014, 04:17:23 PM »
Spec Class or business model for " Experience Bonneville Racing from the drivers seat " without having to actually build a car or anything , we do it for you.  You even have a chance at setting a real record on the famous Salt Flats with our fleet of proven cars. For $$$$$$$ you will be hands on experiencing an American tradition of racing without the hard work.  Blah blah blah  Check our ad on FACEBOOK and sign up now!!  Be a real Bonneville record holder today!

Ken S

I wish I would have seen this advertisement years ago............

I meet so many young engineers these days and constantly have to tell them that there was no school to learn this, you have to study and work at it.
As Carroll Smith wrote; All Failures are Human in Origin.

Offline jl222

« Reply #56 on: December 29, 2014, 07:43:20 PM »

Before car, helmet, gloves, fire boots, Fire suit, Hans device.

Then fire system, seat belts, and parachute,

Tow truck, trailer, gas and race gas, shade, beer and tequila :-D

And the rip off hotels 

Nothing cheap

So if your getting into this, tell your wife Its only $15,000, when she says I THOUGHT YOU SAID 15,000, you say
no honey I said $50,000 :-D

JL222

Offline entropy

« Reply #57 on: December 30, 2014, 06:04:54 AM »
   Ken S

Being new to salt LSR, this piqued my curiosity.
google = http://www.forbes.com/2004/10/26/cz_jc_1026sport.html
the article is from 2004 but interesting...
karl

Offline entropy

« Reply #58 on: December 30, 2014, 06:06:21 AM »
  Before car, helmet, gloves, fire boots, Fire suit, Hans device.
  Then fire system, seat belts, and parachute,
  Tow truck, trailer, gas and race gas, shade, beer and tequila :-D
  And the rip off hotels 
  Nothing cheap
  So if your getting into this, tell your wife Its only $15,000, when she says I THOUGHT YOU SAID 15,000, you say
no honey I said $50,000 :-D
                 JL222   

Like :cheers:

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
    • Vance and Forstall Racing
« Reply #59 on: December 30, 2014, 02:51:31 PM »
After the third or fourth season competing, my wife said she wanted a deck and pool. We spent about 20,000 on them. After it was done she said we were about even on my racing expense. I said yes dear. not even close. And I race motorcycles. :-D :dhorse:
WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE 213.470
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Engine by Knecum, Tuned by Johnny Cheese.
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing