Author Topic: North American Eagle  (Read 195003 times)

Offline MAYOMAN

Re: North American Eagle
« Reply #225 on: September 17, 2023, 08:11:56 AM »
2018? Golly Miss Molly! Following The Blue Flame setting the absolute world land speed record at 630.388mph in 1970, I have been virtually the only entity trying to keep our historic achievement alive. Unfortunately, Gary Gabelich never signed a publicity release with Goodyear, so they dropped it shortly after we set the record. The American Gas Association sponsor was happy with the immediate international publicity and saw no value in continuing afterward - also, erroneously publicizing the 622.407mph as the absolute world record. The Reaction Dynamics team never felt the recognition they had earned. My original effort was to get the correct 630.388mph record in the publications, etcetera. The 622.407mph is even still painted on the car in the Sinsheim museum, although the correct 1,014.656kph is on the display and their literature. I produced 2 Youtube videos and wrote my memoir, Speedquest, to keep the real story alive (at our 50th anniversary). Whenever I see stories or articles with the 622mph speed I try to get corrections. The Blue Flame is still the last absolute world land speed record set by an American automobile, and on the Bonneville Salt Flats. While the 622.407mph mile record lasted 13 years (yeah!), the kilometer 630.388mph record lasted 27 years. WOW! Richard Noble's mile record in, 1983, was only 3mph faster than our absolute world landspeed record. Andy Green's first supersonic record in 1997 was fantastic. Come on, Rosco.
The road is long - Life is short - Drive fast

Offline tallguy

« Reply #226 on: November 18, 2023, 01:29:39 AM »
2018? Golly Miss Molly! Following The Blue Flame setting the absolute world land speed record at 630.388mph in 1970, I have been virtually the only entity trying to keep our historic achievement alive. Unfortunately, Gary Gabelich never signed a publicity release with Goodyear, so they dropped it shortly after we set the record. The American Gas Association sponsor was happy with the immediate international publicity and saw no value in continuing afterward - also, erroneously publicizing the 622.407mph as the absolute world record. The Reaction Dynamics team never felt the recognition they had earned. My original effort was to get the correct 630.388mph record in the publications, etcetera. The 622.407mph is even still painted on the car in the Sinsheim museum, although the correct 1,014.656kph is on the display and their literature. I produced 2 Youtube videos and wrote my memoir, Speedquest, to keep the real story alive (at our 50th anniversary). Whenever I see stories or articles with the 622mph speed I try to get corrections. The Blue Flame is still the last absolute world land speed record set by an American automobile, and on the Bonneville Salt Flats. While the 622.407mph mile record lasted 13 years (yeah!), the kilometer 630.388mph record lasted 27 years. WOW! Richard Noble's mile record in, 1983, was only 3mph faster than our absolute world landspeed record. Andy Green's first supersonic record in 1997 was fantastic. Come on, Rosco.

Although this thread is supposed to be about the North American Eagle, that car and project are now history -- since 2019.
Certainly, mistakes were made . . . and for what it's worth, I hope some learning did result from the consequences of those
mistakes.

Since we can't change the past, I always give more attention and effort to the present and future. 

I do want to (even if briefly) again acknowledge the success of the Blue Flame rocket car and its team of designers, builders,
driver, financiers, support crew, and everyone else involved in making it happen . . . especially in a relatively short period of
time.  This is in major contrast to the time spans involved in some of the other more recent ALSR projects, which so far have
not even come close to setting a new absolute land speed record. 

I also want to put in my two cents' worth of comment(s) regarding this idea of a "women's land speed record".  Why anyone would give much thought to that "record" is beyond me.  Anybody with even a tiny amount of knowledge of land speed racing knows that a race car is operated by its driver's hands and feet, and not by their reproductive/sex organs.  Got it?  In other words, the gender -- or even, if you want to quibble about it, the "gender identity" -- of the driver doesn't mean diddly squat to the vehicle itself or to the equipment measuring the vehicle's speed.  Just like the color of their hair or skin or favorite toothbrush doesn't matter to the speed-related data. 

Meanwhile, since the Blue Flame was not run at its maximum capability -- based on its design -- , the question remains:  Is
the vehicle capable of breaking the existing land speed record (if brought back to perfect operating condition)?  If enough people could be convinced that it is, perhaps it could be "brought out of mothballs" and run again.  Or, alternately, a replacement could be built, effectively similar to the original.  Perhaps with some further improvements, based on what was learned in breaking the land speed record back then.  The design work and proof-of-concept demonstration runs are already done. 

As we all know, Bonneville is pretty short, and getting shorter.  Bolivia (technically, if not financially) seems like a more reasonable place for this kind of thing, particularly using a rocket-powered car that doesn't have to gulp local air from the   place.  And, of course, air at an elevation of about 12,000 feet is likely to be thinner than air at an elevation of about 4,000 feet.  This part is a no-brainer, in my opinion.

I'd be interested in helping a project like this along, although my contribution of time, effort, and money would be quite limited.

I'd also love to see response(s) from anyone who was involved in creating that wonderful car.  Even if it was never designed
to go 1000 mph, some runs of 800 mph could break the existing record set by Thrust SSC in 1997.  A world record still
captures the imagination/hope of people, even though "records were made to be broken".

Tallguy
« Last Edit: November 18, 2023, 01:35:32 AM by tallguy »

Offline MAYOMAN

« Reply #227 on: November 18, 2023, 07:56:44 AM »
The Blue Flame has been retired for 53 years. I would not think it structurally sound to be "un-retired" now.
The Blue Flame LSR project began in August 1968, was designed built, tested, and ran to the 630.388 mph record at Bonneville in October 1970. Very intense and short timeline. 2 years.
However, The Blue Flame design technology is available via the IIT students' masters theses. Also, my collected archive of the project is available for review (Richard A. Keller, III papers 1957-2011) at the University of Utah Marriott Library Special Collections. It is all there in detail, 3 boxes. It is free to review.
Check it out, then build the the new absolute world land speed record holder.

Offline MAYOMAN

« Reply #228 on: November 18, 2023, 10:39:21 AM »
This is the archive file at the Mariott Library.
IIT theses supporting the design of The Blue Flame should be available. Search for Desai Thesis 1970, Kurani Thesis 1969, Morel Thesis 1969, Pandey Thesis 1970, Parikh Thesis 1970, Thakur Thesis 1970, Torda & Morel DEC1971, and Uzgiris et al 1971.
Good luck building a new LSR vehicle.

Offline MAYOMAN

« Reply #229 on: November 18, 2023, 12:54:18 PM »
Anyone serious about reproducing The Blue Flame for an LSR attempt can contact me at dickkeller630@gmail.com.
Serious only!!!!

Offline tallguy

« Reply #230 on: March 08, 2024, 02:06:20 AM »
The History Channel website is also promoting CAR WEEK. Some guy impersonating a history writer, A.J. Baime, posted a page on the History Channel CAR WEEK website that, again, presented in sequence the chain of world land speed record holders. Gee, really interesting. Oops, there is one missing. The Blue Flame is the ONLY world land speed record holder not there.

Here is the link:   https://www.history.com/crazy-demons-of-land-speed

Something strange is going on.

I agree that it was a serious omission.  In the real world, people who are not passionate about something are usually
pretty cavalier/sloppy/careless about the subject.

Offline MAYOMAN

« Reply #231 on: March 08, 2024, 10:03:02 AM »
Our world land speed records with The Blue Flame have been reported erroneously from the day we did it, October 23, 1970.
First, the PR hack from the American Gas Association mistakenly publicized the mile record (622.407mph), not the kilometer record (630.388mph - 1,014.656kph). Then, they moved on.
Because Gary would not sign a contract with Goodyear, they only publicized it briefly (without Gary's name), and then reverted to Craig Breedlove.
Since then, I have been a solo act with the book and Youtube film (SPEEDQUEST) trying to keep the record discussions correct.
The kilometer record was finally broken by Andy Green in 1997.