Author Topic: Winning Women Racers  (Read 988 times)

velocity

Winning Women Racers
« on: November 01, 2014, 06:19:29 PM »
Ladies (and selected Gentlemen)

You may find these links rather interesting reading.

This article runs in the Sunday print Automobiles section (City Edition), and a version (the photos will be in black and white) will go in the National Edition (outside the Metro area).

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/11/02/automobiles/women-in-top-ranks-of-drag-racing-hear-them-roar.html?ref=automobiles

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/11/02/automobiles/women-in-top-ranks-of-drag-racing-hear-them-roar.html?ref=automobiles#slideshow/100000003209381/100000003209400

This was a wonderful baptismal immersion back into the sport after such a long time watching from the fringe.  While utterly delighted to plant the piece in the NYT, these 1,400 words are hardly enough to present the ladies to the American mainstream with the depth I fully believe they deserve. Unlike, "she who will not be named" these gals are winning - a lot!

The biggest revelation is that the crew chiefs (aka "launch directors") and crew members are NOT cocky gender-joking jerks, but meld into a cohesive, focused team that instill fear on the starting line and congeniality and determination in the pits. Brilliant. Each group has directional flavor that set it apart from the other without a hint of malice or back biting - at least not that I could see - and I've watched hundred upon hundreds of groups try to be a team.

Stay tuned. . . , I don’t believe I am done with this topic in the least.

Speedy Regards,

LandSpeed Louise

www.landspeedproductions.biz

R&D Partner: United States Air Force Academy
Chief Judge | International Automotive Media Competition
Judge  | Society of Professional Journalists
Member  |  Society of Professional Journalists, Western Automotive Journalists, Society of Automotive Historians, LandSpeed Racing Historians
Contributor | New York Times, Smithsonian, Automobile, Car&Driver

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you"

=