Author Topic: World of Speed results  (Read 77627 times)

Offline racefanwfo

• jenks worlds fastest pitbull
Re: World of Speed results
« Reply #45 on: September 08, 2014, 01:32:22 AM »
Does anyone know if the Turbinator 2 has made any laps yet.
The speed that you wish to achieve is only limited by the depth of your wallet.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #46 on: September 08, 2014, 10:06:35 AM »
Here I am.  It's now Monday morning and hings are - quiet.  It's a couple of minutes after 8 and Dan Warner was just driving to Impound when I got here a while ago.  And Dan leads the parade from there to the line for return runs, so it'll be a while yet.  I'm waiting for the young lad that'll be setting up the streaming equipment today -- this laptop would not work right yesterday so he'll use his machine for us.  And since he's not there and nothing's going on -- I'm going to slow down and wait.

The Turbinator II did make a run late yesterday -- ran less than a couple of miles -- turned out before he got through any clocks (I think).  I saw Glen at supper last night and didn't think to ask if he knew what had happened.

Finally -- no run logs as of just yet.  I'll keep waiting and send them when I get them.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline jl222

« Reply #47 on: September 08, 2014, 10:17:16 AM »
I could hear everything just fine here. Thanks all. :cheers:

I have a question about the results sheet.

The last column. Does 0mph mean the run was aborted?

Sometimes racers only run to the 3rd or 4th mile by plan, and if they turn off before the 4th or 5th mile no speed for those miles is registered, resulting in 0mph. But sometimes Subaru happens and they don't make it all the way and turn off before the 4th or 5th traps. If zeros all the way it means run was aborted for sure.

JL222
« Last Edit: September 08, 2014, 10:22:38 AM by jl222 »

Offline Esslinger Eng

• Esslinger Engineering
« Reply #48 on: September 08, 2014, 12:17:30 PM »
The word I got late last night on the 1459 F/GL driven by Steve Tracy is that their shakedown run went like clockwork yesterday afternoon.  They cruised through all the traps between 50 & 75% throttle and low RPM making sure that all the systems (brakes, chute, trans, engine pressures & temps, etc...) work as designed.  Looking forward to some stronger runs today with a mild rev-limit but full throttle...
Brian

*** The above information is my personal opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of Esslinger Engineering, Inc. ***

Offline tauruck

« Reply #49 on: September 08, 2014, 12:40:34 PM »
Thanks JL. :cheers: :cheers:

Offline wickedwagens

« Reply #50 on: September 08, 2014, 01:00:03 PM »
Thanks for bringing us info.
1968 Volkswagen Karmann Ghia
G/CFALT  106.643 MPH  8/2016    G/CGALT  113.131 MPH  9/2016
G/CBGALT  169.462  MPH  8/2021    G/CBFALT  146.715  MPH  8/2017
G/CBGC  158.242  MPH  9/2017   H/CBGC  94.334 MPH  8/2018
H/CPRO  93.383 MPH  8/2018   H/CBFALT  101.282 MPH 9/2018
H/CBGALT  120.591 MPH 9/2018
Top Speed 170.726 MPH
36hp VW 100 mph club 9/2019 102.319 MPH

Offline jdincau

« Reply #51 on: September 08, 2014, 01:03:04 PM »
     Can anyone at the event tell me anything about the salt conditions as far as turning off the course? We are planning on bringing my brothers streamliner back for WFOS and it has minimal ground clearance. Turn out visibility is a concern and the salt conditions getting off the course between graded turn outs.
Unless it's crazy, ambitious and delusional, it's not worth our time!

Offline Rooney

• New folks
« Reply #52 on: September 08, 2014, 01:19:18 PM »
just got back from wos the turn outs are fine even the non turn outs work fine,we had a hard time hooking up our turbo bking but still had a great time!

Offline joea

« Reply #53 on: September 08, 2014, 01:44:09 PM »
thanks Jon, we hurt motor, came home last night, taking apart, and struggling with very little regular
news reporting, tidbits here and there phone calls etc...

the happenings are enormously appreciated...

Boxcar had and incident, 218 middle mile I think...Gowetski supposedly ok...

Jennifer Robertson still in hospital from her get off Sat, doing better with her
concussion

Steamer driver had very traumatic arm injury hoping he is doing better

alot of stories out there...

hoping to hear about them

selfish in South Dakota....Joe

I found some good reporting from one of our "younger" regulars on Facebook from Tom Bryant:

""Here it is the third day of the world of Speed. It has been great to be here for the good and the bad of the meet. We have had some real fast cars, some spins (which is not all that surprising) a few crashes that have delivered a few minor I jury's ( broken arm and such) a couple at least with no injury. We witnessed the Black Salt Car (380 mph Triumph which has 400+ mph in sight) blew the engine, flew for a bit, came back down on its wheels and spun down the course for about a mile. Had run 246 mph in the previous mile. Dan Thompson holds top time so far with a 390 mph (396 exit). Tanis Hammond set a new record at 315 mph....others too, but I can't list them. The Targit 550 just ran with a 275 mph ( a shakedown run, normally aspirated)

Have met and visited with some long time friends. Mary West, Bob Brissette, Betty Burkland and others. Being on the salt is always a homecoming.

We will likely head home tomorrow afternoon."""

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #54 on: September 08, 2014, 02:18:13 PM »
Pork Pie stopped by with a report that the Bockscar is okay - but won't run again this event.  It was Johnboy in the seat when the car had the problem.  He got the chute out before anything bad happened, and both car and driver are okay.  Especially driver.  Although knowing Johnboy -- "okay" needs some clarification.  Nah -- all's okay.

Still working on the streaming audio.  New equipment to hook in.  It seemed that some of you were hearing good audio and some were hearing Donald Duck.  We thought it might be a PC/Apple thing -- but I saw reports telling me that someone with Windows was hearing Donald, just like I was here with the Apple.  I'll look at the streaming audio topic for comments.

And we're still running.  And the access road is still bumpy as all get out.  The water levels are down some -- but I dare not drive more than about 20 mph because of the ruts and potholes.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Esslinger Eng

• Esslinger Engineering
« Reply #55 on: September 08, 2014, 02:44:59 PM »
Any word if the 1459 purple lakester has run yet today?
Brian

*** The above information is my personal opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of Esslinger Engineering, Inc. ***

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #56 on: September 08, 2014, 03:08:17 PM »
Roadster yes, lakester no.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #57 on: September 08, 2014, 03:23:55 PM »
Skip Hedrich in his #992 C/GS just made his first run this year.  Last year his car failed tech so he built it to the new rules and is back to race.

It sounded good off the line, running on the 339.339 record.  His exit speed was a 302 -- and the chutes didn't open.  He's out in the mud so far past the long end that he's just about out of sight of the binocs in the fire truck.  An ATV is on the way down there.  Fire reports that the car is upright and looks fine, but the distance is so far that they can't see if Skip is out of the car.

In the meantime -- don't get made at me because the audio isn't working, but Danny Thompson is about to make another run.  I'll do what I can for you.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline JonAmo

« Reply #58 on: September 08, 2014, 03:25:20 PM »
Finding Tidbits on Facebook and phone calls as well to find out whats up..

Axel broke on the 1000 Boxscar, they are done for the meet but will be staying around for the shootout.

Max Lambky Liner had problems the drive system, shifting of some sort and broke a chain... Something to do with the solenoids, they were going through that and went back out and I do not think they made the timed mile.

Tom Bryant said it earlier that Target 550 just ran 275 mph and were still in stages of tuning the chassis... Also this is NOT running blowers, just naturally aspirated.. Expect faster speeds again next pass.

Team Nish has a run yesterday but reports were it sounds like it was only on a couple cylinders, never cleaned itself out.. what that really means is up in the air.

Thompson had his nice 390 mph run yesterday but had some fire bottles go off and was in search of more.

Turbinator did not make the timing marks yesterday unknown cause.

Anybody else got any tidbits to add? I go on the Facebook hunt later to find some information.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #59 on: September 08, 2014, 03:37:09 PM »
Danny is on the line and starting the engines right now.  The publicity film guy is here in the trailer with us.  I'll get you some data.  Thanks for what you're getting, Jon

Down the course he goes.  Wow, what a sound!

First mile:   296  four mile 396   five mile  419.70    exit   424.857  back door

That qualifies him -- for sure!
« Last Edit: September 08, 2014, 03:42:01 PM by Seldom Seen Slim »
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com