Author Topic: Roadster classes  (Read 3910 times)

K38

Roadster classes
« on: August 03, 2006, 11:21:42 PM »
Could someone explain the difference between the roadster classes to me.  They all talk about a roadster body, but some I have seen have a long section added to the front like a dragster.  If I bought a rulebook would it make more sense?  Are there any books that have good information or is this strictly an oral tradition.

Thanks!

Dwight

Offline Nortonist 592

• http://www.artfv.com/design/fashion/
Roadster classes
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2006, 11:38:33 PM »
Oooh the slippery slope beckons.
Get off the stove Grandad.  You're too old to be riding the range.

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
Re: Roadster classes
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2006, 11:56:21 PM »
Quote from: K38
.................  If I bought a rulebook would it make more sense? .....................
Thanks!

Dwight

YES :!:  :!:

or go to the salt,

or talk to JackD :D  when he returns,

Sum

JohnR

Roadster classes
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2006, 01:38:55 AM »
Actually, the roadsters are pretty easy as long as you are just looking for the basic class differences.

Street Roadster is basically a normal roadster body with headlights, fenders and no streamlining.

Roadster is the same as above but with everything that can be unbolted removed.

Modified roadster is a highly modified roadster body, usually with a long skinny nose and belly pan. Engine is in the front and driver sits ahead of the rear axle.

Rear Engine Modified Roadster is the same as above but allowing the engine to be in the rear of the driver.

Of course, that is a blatant over-simplification of the roadster classes and the devil is in the details. If I made a mistake above, someone please chime in with a correction.

K38

Roaster
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2006, 02:40:26 AM »
It would be cool if somebody could post a picture of one of each kind.

Thanks

Dwight

dwarner

Roadster classes
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2006, 08:59:53 AM »
www.scta-bni.org

Click on either El Mirage or Bonneville, click on an event and scan the photos.

DW

Offline Nitroholic

• Dirty 2 Club Member
  • New folks
Roadster Classes
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2006, 11:26:39 AM »
Like DW said the scta website is a great source but also you can check out the build diaries on this fourm of the modified roadster build, that might help  http://www.landracing.net/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=1424

dwarner

Roadster classes
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2006, 12:23:30 PM »
I'll answer for jack in his absence - the roadster has not been define or perfected yet.

DW

Offline jimmy six

Roadster classes
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2006, 12:25:32 PM »
K38...I guess I'm a little confused with your question..If you have a rule book there are pictures of each style of roadster. Maybe not the best but pictures all the same.

Each class of vehicle leads from its category. Roadsters being 5.B under vintage. Then a description tells what you can do and what year body can be used. When you see something like ei: step pan, belly pan, fenders, floorboards, etc: you go to the definitions of those items listed under definitions Section 4.

There are no templates; this isn't NASCAR. Your best bet for pictures is to get a Bonneville program where all most all entrants include a picture of their vehicle.

One other observation. There are those who like the newest most modern concept which fit the rules and those who are traditionalists. ie: side steering to sit low or center steering which sits higher. You will see all kinds; many of these cars were originally constructed in the 60's and 70's when the rules were different and they have been adapted to the newer safety rules.

It's just like lakesters. Today the rear engine "dragster" types hold many of the records; but there are others who prefer the drop tank style or one of it's derivatives.

Also get your hands on an entry back side to see our safety check offs  and each classification has a committee you can contact for specifics... Good luck...J.D
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

K38

Roadster classes
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2006, 02:06:55 PM »
I haven't got a rule book yet, I was just asking if it would help.  Are the dragster type lakesters built using a commercial dragster frame, or does it take something more rugged?

Dwight

Offline jimmy six

Roadster classes
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2006, 06:39:55 PM »
You can contact the chairman of the Special Construction catagory (streamliners/lakesters) but it's been our experience tha almost all moderm "dragster" type chassis are made of "oh too thin" and "too small diameter " to meet the rule of LSR.

Competitors who have purchased these and had to change them to meet LSR specs would have been better off to build from scratch or have one built by those who have done it.

Other on the site can tell who they are. I do not promote car builders but others will tell you who does them.  Good Luck
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

K38

Dragster Lakester
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2006, 08:48:36 PM »
Thanks to all that are willing to talk to me on this board!  I really am ignorant in the extreme, but I want to learn.  I like the the layout of the long rear engine dragster type lakester.  I built model cars when I was a kid (propeller powered, Glow engine)  the longer they were the better they worked.  I understand the rigidity thing, when you see an NHRA Top Fueler pull up to the line the whole car is bouncing like diving board.  But a dragster is built to fulfill a different set of criteria.

Dwight