Author Topic: Course markers  (Read 42040 times)

Offline John Burk

Re: Course markers
« Reply #60 on: July 28, 2014, 04:17:38 PM »
A 3' balloon holds about a pound of air . Slightly lighter t

Offline John Burk

« Reply #61 on: July 28, 2014, 04:23:51 PM »
A 3' balloon holds about a pound of air . Slightly lighter than the pvc pipe .

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #62 on: July 28, 2014, 04:32:46 PM »
I think a beach ball would likely drop a bike on impact.
  Sid.

My guess is that it would be like hitting an air bag in car in a crash.

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #63 on: July 28, 2014, 04:35:59 PM »
A 3' balloon holds about a pound of air . Slightly lighter than the pvc pipe .

... and a lot more surface area to cushion the impact. A PVC pipe would cause more injury that a light vinyl plastic bag full of low-pressure air...I think.  :?

Offline Buickguy3

« Reply #64 on: July 28, 2014, 05:30:59 PM »
  The schedule 80 PVC does ugly things. [Like punch holes in the tire]
  Doug  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
I keep going faster and faster and I don't know why. All I have to do is live and die.
                   [America]

Offline JR529

« Reply #65 on: July 28, 2014, 06:26:57 PM »
That looks like you hit more than just PVC. Even your disk looks bent.

Offline mkilger

« Reply #66 on: July 28, 2014, 06:34:28 PM »
ya white pvc and white salt is hard to see and pickup   :cry:

Offline jdincau

« Reply #67 on: July 28, 2014, 06:42:15 PM »
I just cant keep quiet any more,
1.     In flight training the rule was "first fly the airplane" meaning do not get distracted by what is going on inside the cockpit.
2.     Bill Taylor told me every time I left the line, "be safe, have fun, go fast - AND THE THROTTLE WORKS BOTH WAYS".

Unless it's crazy, ambitious and delusional, it's not worth our time!

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #68 on: July 28, 2014, 07:27:56 PM »
ya white pvc and white salt is hard to see and pickup   :cry:

I had the PVC changed to gray years ago as Mike K mentioned. Some where I have a picture of Ro Yale wher the car hit a mile marker flipped up busted out his wind screen and his face sheild, he was lucky with only a few cuts on his face.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline hotrod

• Black Horse photo
« Reply #69 on: July 28, 2014, 09:48:05 PM »
If you don't use helium how are they going to fly?  If they are down on the ground have we accomplished much?

Should not need helium at Bonneville. A standard black trash bag inflated about 2/3s, tied off and left in bright  sun will self inflate like a hot air balloon with enough buoyancy to stand up vertically.
May not lift off the surface but it will not lay flat on the ground, you just need to give it a bit or room to expand when you partially fill it and tie it off.
Cooling winds or cloud cover would make them "wilt" but worth an experiment to see what would happen with very light weight plastic bags like the 1.2 - 1.4 mil bags.

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #70 on: July 28, 2014, 09:55:30 PM »
If you don't use helium how are they going to fly?  If they are down on the ground have we accomplished much?

Should not need helium at Bonneville. A standard black trash bag inflated about 2/3s, tied off and left in bright  sun will self inflate like a hot air balloon with enough buoyancy to stand up vertically.
May not lift off the surface but it will not lay flat on the ground, you just need to give it a bit or room to expand when you partially fill it and tie it off.
Cooling winds or cloud cover would make them "wilt" but worth an experiment to see what would happen with very light weight plastic bags like the 1.2 - 1.4 mil bags.

It's been tried and with any breeze moving them around can confuse the driver.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Buickguy3

« Reply #71 on: July 28, 2014, 10:09:50 PM »
   At about the 3 mile there was a West cross-wind. I had to put about 1/4 turn Left rudder into the steering wheel. As I passed through a soft/moist spot in the Salt, a mist came up and I thought I was going through a fog bank. When I realized that it was dry Salt on the canopy, the next thing I saw was the 4 mile banner dead ahead. I pulled the chute as I hit it. Not sure how long it took to cover that mile, but looking back I'm not sure what I would have done different. When the tread width is only 33 inches quick changes in steering input aren't good.
    Doug  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
I keep going faster and faster and I don't know why. All I have to do is live and die.
                   [America]

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #72 on: July 28, 2014, 11:28:44 PM »
I've never driven too much over 200 but I like the black bags. I can see them a long way down the course and they helped a lot on shut down and turn out.

I started back when there was 3 lines and cones and did OK. The was a time when there were orange trash bags too and that was good.

I personally think bigger is better as long as we can keep them up in the wind.

Driving is total concentration with eyes forward and a brain attached to your right foot or right hand. Sometimes backing off is the right thing to do. Bonneville isn't the place to be driving thru any situation....
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #73 on: July 29, 2014, 01:59:09 AM »
 :cheers: :cheers: spot on JD
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Koncretekid

« Reply #74 on: July 29, 2014, 07:26:32 AM »
After hitting the 2 mile marker flag pole and cutting it off at 137 mph at BUBs (retrieved several pieces inside my fairing), I was given a valuable tip by another rider - - "memorize the horizon when you're on the starting line."  This is quite easy to do when making a down run as floating mountain is usually in view, but maybe not always.  It has helped me immensely to keep centered.
We get too soon oldt, and too late schmart!
Life's uncertain - eat dessert first!