Author Topic: Saving the Salt  (Read 548050 times)

Offline Speed Limit 1000

Re: Poor Salt Conditions - all topics merged into one
« Reply #990 on: September 16, 2015, 05:25:41 PM »
Thanks Roger. We sure miss seeing you on the salt :cheers:
John Gowetski, red hat @ 221.183 MPH MSA Lakester, Bockscar #1000 60 ci normally aspirated w/N20

velocity

« Reply #991 on: September 16, 2015, 10:02:06 PM »
Effective Immediately

Please note that as the Media Contact for the Utah Alliance I will no longer monitor or comment on this thread about Bonneville Salt Flats restoration activism.

Any developments and actions taken by the Utah Alliance will be posted on the thread "Utah Alliance" created earlier today AND on the groups new website:

www.save-the-salt.org

Please remember that we are ALL unpaid, passionate activists who need to focus on specific goals.

We will be communicating those goals together with specifics on how individuals can assist in the process.

« Last Edit: September 16, 2015, 10:10:15 PM by velocity »

Offline jl222

« Reply #992 on: September 17, 2015, 12:08:36 AM »
I just landed back home after a week in Salt Lake and Bonneville meeting with, and talking to decision makers and folks with influence. I'll have pointed report for all but got to say some the recent commentary seems like it is either wrought of screaming frustration or mind-altering chemicals.
The Utah Alliance has busted its collective butt to get an enormous bunch of players to the table.

You folks gotta give us a chance, not make this harder.

I can see why Velocity is no longer posting here :roll:

JL222

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #993 on: September 17, 2015, 12:12:46 AM »
yep, isolationist  :dhorse:
and yet Wow another copy paste...   :x
Well I guess that kills this thread too  :-o  :roll:
Or not... everyone feel free to continue spreading the word and trying to garner public support to rescue the salt flats from extinction. 
Feel free to post your efforts here and on other threads on this subject. 
We all need to become passionate activists if we intend to save our salt   :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline BurtonBrown

• Victory Motorsports
« Reply #994 on: September 17, 2015, 02:07:21 AM »
To answer Ron's question earlier about if the tour included looking at the Intrepid settling pods and Salt piles....No not during the tour.

However,
Rick Vesco and all of the others really did a good job with setting up the relevant stops on the tour with a total of 8 stops. I personally learned a lot of the different areas of concern on the North side of 80.....We were under a little time pressure to get through it all but again Rick, Roger, Russ and others put a lot of effort into it with a very good explanation with multiple pictures at each stop with questions directed to the BLM, Geologists, Intrepid and others. The tour lasted about 3 hours ending at noon. Sid and I were impressed and talked to as many of the people on the tour as possible. I would say there really seemed to be a "positive attitude" from everyone there. Now we need to see if there will be an accepted plan by Intrepid and the BLM. Without that, the options are limited. I highly doubt it will fix itself.

Again, we did not get to go see the settle ponds or the Salt piles on the south side of the highway during the tour. It certainly would be nice to see it to get a good understanding of what the salt consistency is without the potash in it. It may also lead to some ideas of how to get that part of the reclamation going quicker if we can put our heads together. In my opinion all this will take is work/time and money to accomplish. Simple eh? We know that there is a huge need to put the unused Salt back on the North side of 80. In my opinion, that is the biggest thing that will help start to restore a surface we all crave. It may be easier said than done though.
Looking at the settle ponds and Salt piles could be an agenda item for the next meeting I am sure Rick and Roger are working on. I do remember them mentioning a timeline for a next meeting in the near future? I will let them comment on that.

Anyway it will take significant efforts from a lot of people to really get something underway. I can tell you it was no easy feat getting ALL of the people there on a Monday morning. Good job Utah Alliance! Remember a lot of us were there on our own dime to show support. We can scream and holler and jump up and down but right now that will not help. The best way we can all help is to be positive on this forum. If we want help from the BLM and Intrepid we shouldn't be slinging mud. No pun intended....There will be enough of that with the Presidential election coming next year.... :-D

Now that's a thought....getting one of the presidential hopefuls to start talking about it? Anybody have direct contact with the candidates? Right now we do need a lot of press to get the public concerned and talking about it.

Cheers everyone
Burton
"Live every day like its your last....some day it will be"

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #995 on: September 17, 2015, 03:35:38 AM »

Now that's a thought....getting one of the presidential hopefuls to start talking about it? Anybody have direct contact with the candidates? Right now we do need a lot of press to get the public concerned and talking about it.

Cheers everyone
Burton

Burton, it occurs to me that you and I have a sitting Governor who aspires to higher office.

I'm not a fan of Scotty, and given his backing by mining concerns, I don't know how much headway we could make, but I'm certainly unopposed to tag teaming him . . .  :wink:

East of the Mississippi, we lack influence to BLM input through our legislators - a function of private land ownership, which is much higher than in Western states - but Wisconsin sends more than its fair share of racers to Utah in any given year. 

Maybe it's time for a Midwest Bonneville Alliance.   :roll:
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline BurtonBrown

• Victory Motorsports
« Reply #996 on: September 17, 2015, 09:07:01 AM »
Chris,

Ive thought about contacting Scott Walker a few times about it but I doubt he could help, even if he wanted too being from the Midwest......We will never know unless we try though. Lets talk about how to approach this.
I didn't watch the debate last night but from the highlights it would seem that it was fairly entertaining....
Give me a call. 920-585-0776

Offline Ron Gibson

« Reply #997 on: September 17, 2015, 10:19:11 AM »
"We all need to learn more from each other as we all have specific observations and experiences that need to be combined with scientific data to provide a viable way forward."
That quote is from the "Utah Alliance".
  Hate to be pessimistic but 25+ years of begging have shown me nothing. That quote sounds like "we need another 5 year study" for scientific data.
I'm disappointed that the guests at the meeting saw the flats "wow, I guess the salt is gone" and not shown the ponds and piles to say "wow, there it is, let's put it back".
 The fix is simple. Look the mining company in their baby blues and say "You took the salt from the North side of the highway to the South side - PUT IT BACK - NOW".
I don't have a choice but to wait impatiently for the outcome, but at my age I personally doubt if I'll ever race on the salt again.
Pardon my rant. To say that I'm exasperated would be a sever understatement of my feelings.

Ron
Life is an abrasive. Whether you get ground away or polished to a shine depends on what you are made of.

Offline Dakin Engineering

« Reply #998 on: September 17, 2015, 10:54:34 AM »
The Salt Laydown could work if Intrepid used makeup water from an outside source.
Crust will form if the aquifer is left alone.

Sam
Turbo Sportsters since '97

Offline Avanti Kid

• 2006 Member of Bonneville 200 MPH Club
« Reply #999 on: September 17, 2015, 12:18:55 PM »
For PR to move this subject to the American public, what about seeing if Jay Leno can get behind this project?? he love cars and may have some time to help us out, anyone know him personally? I did meet with him back stage on his TV show years ago and told him he needs to attend a race at Bonneville, he seemed interested but his TV schedule prevented that, but now his has more spare time, take care, Dave
Original owner of 1963 Avanti; Age 84
2006 Bonneville 200 MPH Club Member
Canyon Country, CA
215.6 mph 289 CI Studebaker engine

Offline tauruck

« Reply #1000 on: September 17, 2015, 01:55:59 PM »
I'm an outsider but I have a feeling you guys will get things going and I see a positive outcome. :cheers:

Offline BurtonBrown

• Victory Motorsports
« Reply #1001 on: September 17, 2015, 02:09:50 PM »
To All,

Yes we all know what really happened to the Salt.  Gregg Morgan from the BLM in my opinion did a fantastic job predicting it in the interview in 1989.

I don't think all of the parties have every really sat down like they just did on Monday....yes its too bad it hasn't happened yet but we are where we are.....unless someone has a time machine we cant go back.

Anyway I think its a fantastic idea to see if Jay Leno could help. I dont know if he will reply but Ill give it a shot. He did do a show on the Mormon meteor on one of his shows.....and he is a huge car guy...
Burton

Offline half-fast racer

• New folks
« Reply #1002 on: September 17, 2015, 04:53:59 PM »
Jay couled be an amazing resource. A goor friend of mine spoke to him a couple of years ago trying to get him to bring the turbine bike out to El Mirage. He didn't think NBC would approve (he was still under contract then) but he did spend about 45 minutes just generally shooting the bull with him. He's a real car guy without attitude.

Offline jl222

« Reply #1003 on: September 18, 2015, 12:43:35 PM »

We have one of our own SCTA/BNI members on National TV, every Monday night.

Big Red ; The Original Outlaw Racer  220 NBCSHD 6:00 pm  Direct-TV in Fresno area.

Just had a show on their Bonneville runs.

JL222

Offline Texican

« Reply #1004 on: September 18, 2015, 02:45:32 PM »
WOW!
  It would appear that the .40" of rain received at the flats over the last few days somehow miraculously morphed into
close to a foot of water.

Mike Cook has had to postpone his M/C action; and there may be something planned for next week that may or may not happen.

I wonder if if could have something to do with a 12 mile long 3,000 foot high rock wall along the N/W edge of the flats?

(sarc)

Jim