Author Topic: Saving the Salt  (Read 548031 times)

Offline 64avanti

Re: Poor Salt Conditions - all topics merged into one
« Reply #915 on: August 31, 2015, 01:45:41 AM »
Does anyone know how much money SCTA-BNI normally has on hand?  They are indicating that they are low on funds.  Perhaps they should consider soliciting donations from members and interested parties.

Offline WOODY@DDLLC

• ECTA made it to AR-Kansas!
    • Design Dreams, LLC
All models are wrong, but some are useful! G.E. Box (1967) www.designdreams.biz

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline 64avanti

« Reply #918 on: August 31, 2015, 10:06:32 PM »
http://www.savebonneville.com/

Yes I have seen that but I was thinking more about just soliciting donations.   Will buy the book and may place picture of car in it but if we all knew the status of SCTA-BNI I think quite a few people might donate!

Offline burbanite

• New folks
« Reply #919 on: September 01, 2015, 03:00:33 PM »
http://www.savebonneville.com/

I sent an email to Ron asking if it were possible to pre-order the set, that should help with cash flow.
Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.

Offline Clay Pitkin

• B&B Racing
Those who said it could not be done, should not stand in the way of those who are already doing it!

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #921 on: September 02, 2015, 10:37:00 AM »
Another collection of incorrect statements!
  Sid. :x

Offline Ron Gibson

« Reply #922 on: September 02, 2015, 01:01:27 PM »
With the exceptionally heavy rains (AKA fresh water which dissolves salt) this year. The rains dissolved virtually the last of the salt crust and washed it down the basin drain , AKA Intrepid's pumps. For all practical purposes there is no longer a salt flats, the salt is gone per Sid's pictures. Aerial pictures can't show anything. 1/4 inch of dry salt will show up on a picture as bright white, leading one to believe there is plenty of salt.  A couple more years of rains plus continued pumping and there will be NO salt, not even the 1/4 inch that's left now.
From what I have read the researchers keep talking about how there has been little change in the underground layers in their core samples. I see no mention of the thickness of the salt crust to get to the mud layers when it's went from feet thick, as in the picture Rick Vesco posted, to fractions of an inch.

Ron
Life is an abrasive. Whether you get ground away or polished to a shine depends on what you are made of.

Offline 55chevr

Offline sofadriver

« Reply #924 on: September 02, 2015, 03:27:57 PM »
With the exceptionally heavy rains (AKA fresh water which dissolves salt) this year. The rains dissolved virtually the last of the salt crust and washed it down the basin drain , AKA Intrepid's pumps. For all practical purposes there is no longer a salt flats, the salt is gone per Sid's pictures. Aerial pictures can't show anything. 1/4 inch of dry salt will show up on a picture as bright white, leading one to believe there is plenty of salt.  A couple more years of rains plus continued pumping and there will be NO salt, not even the 1/4 inch that's left now.
From what I have read the researchers keep talking about how there has been little change in the underground layers in their core samples. I see no mention of the thickness of the salt crust to get to the mud layers when it's went from feet thick, as in the picture Rick Vesco posted, to fractions of an inch.

Ron
Uh-oh........a realist has mentioned the elephant in the room.
Mike in Tacoma

"aww, what the hell - let's just do it".............

Bike #833
100cc A/G, A/F and APS/G (in 2019)

Offline Pickle

« Reply #925 on: September 02, 2015, 10:53:07 PM »
I read on here a few pages back that someone is taking samples. I have contacts in UCLA in the appropriate departments is you would like assistance in sample testing. I have a degree in physics and have a lot of experimental experience, if you need assistance please send me an E mail.

James

Offline BasementBorn

« Reply #926 on: September 02, 2015, 11:16:49 PM »
James, try sending a PM to SPDRACR. First response I found off hand was on page 54, reply 796 but I am sure there are more. He and his dad are the ones that have been doing the salt measurements for the last 10 years and are the ones with the samples from this year if I remember right. If they don't have what you need I may be making a trip there next week and would happily get you whatever samples you need.
Gabe Gorton
Gorton Racing 1060 650APS-BG
Team Banana 1361 F/CPRO

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #927 on: September 03, 2015, 12:02:40 AM »
Curious as to what the source of the water is that is used to pump brine back onto the salt, and if it's sustainable.
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Dakin Engineering

« Reply #928 on: September 03, 2015, 06:25:22 AM »
Hydrology/Groundwater:
 Ground Water Hydrology: 
 Increasing the amount of water pumped from the alluvial fan aquifer to accommodate the salt laydown project may be depleting the aquifer and increasing the flow from the shallow brine aquifer to the alluvial aquifer.

Sam
Turbo Sportsters since '97

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #929 on: September 03, 2015, 10:04:03 AM »
If this is the aquifer Wendover and West Wendover uses as a source for drinking water, this is an argument we're not likely to win.

Harold's idea of bringing salt in by train from Salt Lake is starting to look . . . viable.

Another potential is to encourage the state of Utah to cycle some of the very saline water in the great salt lake (120 miles to the east of Bonneville) carried in tanker cars to be deposited on Bonneville salt flats. Some of the costs could be borne by Intrepid as it would assist in their "potash recovery". The state of Utah most assuredly wants to keep the salt flats salty! This type of cycling would enhance halide production on the flats as it would help momma nature speed up the natural deposition of salt on the surface of the flats. Note where the railroad goes making the process fairly direct. There are probably even some tax advantages in there for Intrepid as they could write off some of the efforts as "public interest" items.

Now would be a good time to try this approach, in that due to lower oil prices, there are currently a lot of tanker cars sitting idle, and the cost of transport would be low.  Additionally, it could be done off season to Intrepid's operation, run 24/7, and be adjustable to seasonal conditions.  A 200 car train running 4 trips a day, 25,000 gallons per car, puts 20 million gallons of salt water on the flats per day without risking the current fresh water resource.

The downside would be the EIS hurdle necessary to get started.
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll: