Author Topic: Saving the Salt  (Read 548145 times)

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline Elmo Rodge

Re: Test-N-Tune 2015
« Reply #91 on: July 07, 2015, 10:31:51 PM »
As I mentioned on the other thread, I'm 250 miles from Bonneville and can store your trailer full of Race Car 'til Speedweek so you don't have to drag the whole mess home. Wayno

Offline USFRAMONTE

« Reply #92 on: July 07, 2015, 10:54:56 PM »
We are sorry to report that the Test-N-Tune is officially canceled. After careful inspection of the condition of the course we determined it would not make a safe track for high speed runs.  We recognize it is heartbreaking for all involved but in good conscience we could not move forward with the meet.

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #93 on: July 07, 2015, 11:13:11 PM »
Monte, huge kudos to USFRA for trying to extend the season with this.  The beginning and the tail are sometimes tough to judge - and better a safe track than a potentially dangerous one.

I suspect there will be some racing this year either way.  :cheers:
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #94 on: July 07, 2015, 11:18:10 PM »
As I mentioned on the other thread, I'm 250 miles from Bonneville and can store your trailer full of Race Car 'til Speedweek so you don't have to drag the whole mess home. Wayno
I'm in south east Idaho close to I-15 & offer the same, I have lots of space.
  Sid.

Offline Buickguy3

« Reply #95 on: July 07, 2015, 11:31:06 PM »
    If there's anybody who is coming along I-90 in Montana and wants to take a side trip to Yellowstone along the way, I can certainly store your stuff until Speed Week.
   Doug  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
I keep going faster and faster and I don't know why. All I have to do is live and die.
                   [America]

Offline DallasV

« Reply #96 on: July 08, 2015, 01:05:55 AM »
It is tough for the racers that are making the long haul to hear this news in the 11th hour. But I know it is tougher for the event organizers to have to make that call after all the time and effort put in up to this point. Just want to say that discretion is the better part of valor. I would rather see the blow back from canceling late than trying to rationalize a tragedy from trying to push an event under questionable conditions. Tough call but a good call USFRA officials.
Records or parts, I didn't come all this way not to break something.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #97 on: July 08, 2015, 01:14:40 AM »
Thanks for pulling the plug guys, a safe course is the most important thing... I am 500 miles from home, but it is a lot better to know it now than after arriving in Wendover.  Ross Powers saw it on FB, called me, then BJ Burkdoll called me, so I called Marlo and crew, they were an hour into the trip, now headed back home.  They had the info already, so the word spreads fast.
This is a great racing community  :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline tauruck

« Reply #98 on: July 08, 2015, 02:16:34 AM »
Sorry to hear about the cancellation but like everyone said, good call. :cheers:

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
« Reply #99 on: July 08, 2015, 05:53:28 AM »
Hi Folks,

Texican (Jim Halladay) was so kind and had sent me a email straight ahead, thank you very much to taking care of me, my friend.

I just moved my ticket to next year - have to pay some fee for that, but saved me 3000 dollars...it make no sense to fly to the states for three days.....if there is not a great meet on the salt....

We will see us in August....hope that meanwhile the salt will be fine....

Sorry, for all of you, who spent so much time to get some race time under the tyre.

All the best

Pork Pie
Pork Pie

Photoartist & Historian & 200 MPH Club Member (I/GL 202.8 mph in the orig. Bockscar #1000)

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #100 on: July 08, 2015, 06:28:00 AM »
The thing about the "tough calls" is that they are "difficult" to judge and then make.

But I find that after making a "tough call", I am able to look at myself in the mirror afterward . . . . . . .

Kudos to the integrity of those who made this hard choice to put safety first.

I suspect that means you, Monte, and your compatriots from USFRA and SCTA.

"Hindsight is always 20/20.  It's the stuff that comes before that's tough."    Carroll Smith

Fordboy
Science, NOT Magic . . . .

I used to be a people person.  But people changed that relationship.

"There is nothing permanent except change."    Heraclitus

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."     Albert Einstein

Offline typo41

• Huntimer Photography
Re: Poor Salt Conditions - all topics merged into one
« Reply #101 on: July 08, 2015, 10:27:55 AM »
It's funny how some of us seem to forget that most of the water that was on the salt is actually over at Intrepid now.
  Sid.

Along with the salt

USFRA cancelled thier test and tune

Heard it raind on them on the salt
Tony Huntimer
Huntimer Photography

Offline USFRAMONTE

« Reply #102 on: July 08, 2015, 11:42:59 AM »
I have to give a shout out to the SCTA boys for the work they did.  In an effort to find the best salt they moved the #2 course to the east several hundred yards, but alas even that did not yield the desired results.  I do know that it rained on the salt last night.  I suspect they will have to pack up and head back to California.  The course prep for Speed Week will have to be done at a later date.

Thanks to everyone for their understanding. It is indeed agonizing to make this kind of decision. I was not on the salt, but here at home, so it was several of the others that had first hand info that actually made the call.  I certainly hope mother nature sends us good weather and good salt conditions for the remainder of the the race season.

Offline Phil Bennett

• 1978 Indy 500 Pace Car
« Reply #103 on: July 08, 2015, 03:32:15 PM »
Considering that T&T was cancelled, should anything be read into this as a warning for Speed Week? Just wondering if I need to be thinking of options for our RV destination if the rain gods are unkind.

Offline RichFox

« Reply #104 on: July 08, 2015, 04:15:56 PM »
It's never a sure thing.  remember last year. Hope for the best and prepare for the worst.