Author Topic: Saving the Salt  (Read 548131 times)

velocity

Re: Poor Salt Conditions - all topics merged into one
« Reply #885 on: August 23, 2015, 02:58:23 PM »
Nice drone flying.

I have sent a note to the videographer asking if any filters were used on the lens becasue the sky looked a tad dingy to me and if anything besides a neutral density filter is slapped on the lens it can alter the entire look of the footage. In this case, we all know the salt is receding, but this almost looks too much. Reminds me of a "tobacco filter" but it also be the time of day as well.

It would have been more useful to see some aerial footage of more than up and down the access road. Out at the race courses would tell us so much more, but the drone may not have the telemetry capabilities to fly that far and remain under safe control of the operator.  It would be miserable to slog through mud to fetch a downed device, especially if it was damaged.

Still, a good look at land's end.

Offline hotrod

• Black Horse photo
« Reply #886 on: August 23, 2015, 03:41:21 PM »
Out here in the Mountain west we have a lot of smoke haze lately from the California fires.

I suspect the subdued sky you noted was due to smoky haze from those fires to the west. On a clear day I can see Pikes peak 80 miles south, today I can barely tell there are mountains 10 miles to my west.

Offline Black Rose Racing

« Reply #887 on: August 23, 2015, 09:59:38 PM »

We all know the salt is receding, but this almost looks too much.

All I know is, that even as late as 2009 there was White and no vegetation all the way to "Bend in the Road", this footage pretty clearly shows exactly how far (and how fast) the Salt has receded towards Land's End.

It would have been more useful to see some aerial footage of more than up and down the access road. Out at the race courses would tell us so much more, but the drone may not have the telemetry capabilities to fly that far and remain under safe control of the operator.  It would be miserable to slog through mud to fetch a downed device, especially if it was damaged.

Still, a good look at land's end.

Look at the notes at the bottom of the clip.

And @ :33 the white balance looks OK to me.

Just my observations

Offline typo41

• Huntimer Photography
« Reply #888 on: August 24, 2015, 07:26:32 PM »
There was another topic here that linked the video.
And as Louise mentioned, as photographers we know about white balance and the fact that the salt blows out meters to either insane white or a slight brown cast, early in the morning the salt is blue to the camera lens.
And also please read all of Russ Ayers salt report. The salt was covered with a layer of dirt from the mountains that surround the Salt Flats. And when pump back brine was sent back to the flats, it covered the dirt. Normally any dirt that covers the Flats, which it does from time to time, it doesn't get a layer of salt on the top and it dries and blows away.
I asked Russ if the dirt will migrate to the clay mud under the salt, he said it will take years to do so, the hope is the top salt surface dry and crack allowing the dirt to dry and blow away.
The Salt needs our attention, but the Sky is not Falling yet. And we have to be careful that all the attention and stress we give to the powers that be, don't cause them to say F*** It nobody can use the surface.
Tony Huntimer
Huntimer Photography

Offline crawford

« Reply #889 on: August 24, 2015, 07:56:45 PM »
There was another topic here that linked the video.
And as Louise mentioned, as photographers we know about white balance and the fact that the salt blows out meters to either insane white or a slight brown cast, early in the morning the salt is blue to the camera lens.
And also please read all of Russ Ayers salt report. The salt was covered with a layer of dirt from the mountains that surround the Salt Flats. And when pump back brine was sent back to the flats, it covered the dirt. Normally any dirt that covers the Flats, which it does from time to time, it doesn't get a layer of salt on the top and it dries and blows away.
I asked Russ if the dirt will migrate to the clay mud under the salt, he said it will take years to do so, the hope is the top salt surface dry and crack allowing the dirt to dry and blow away.
The Salt needs our attention, but the Sky is not Falling yet. And we have to be careful that all the attention and stress we give to the powers that be, don't cause them to say F*** It nobody can use the surface.
Yep and Russ Ayers did a great job of working on the Salt, he spent days gathering data and test holes for his report, but I have one question to all you people looking at pictures and maps, when was the last time you actualy walked or drove the track and got out and looked?
Current Mayor of Wendover Utah, and life long race fan. owns Wendover Carquest auto-parts.

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #890 on: August 24, 2015, 08:29:26 PM »
August 3rd 2015. See the video's.
  Sid.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyhS1Ov4la4uQ_gIWv-iBPQ

Offline joea

« Reply #891 on: August 24, 2015, 09:58:02 PM »
Mike, on FB a couple days ago , you posted "I was just out on the salt flats dry...and ...I can't for the life of me figure out why the aren't having the bike meet?..."

it seemed to be in question format...

I pointed out that for someone who lives there and is on the salt a lot, you seem disconnected/out of touch a bit , in light of the same day posted pics from Cook Shootout page showing BUB mountain courses under 1/2 inch water and slush, and commentary praising BMST for cancelling, as well as indicating that the international course better but would not hold up to bike meet...

I also posted the explanation from BUB site attesting to same

I also explained I thought you meant well, and that many of us would like nothing else but to be in Wendover frequenting your and other businesses

I mean that , I and many are seriously trying to understand what seems to be a disconnect with some on ground stating in media one thing and those who put on meets another thing

Truly looking for constructive discourse , as many of us are not there

You are so very valued to us in the lsr world
« Last Edit: August 25, 2015, 09:43:05 AM by joea »

Offline makr

• I make my own rules
« Reply #892 on: August 24, 2015, 11:00:58 PM »

Yep and Russ Ayers did a great job of working on the Salt, he spent days gathering data and test holes for his report, but I have one question to all you people looking at pictures and maps, when was the last time you actualy walked or drove the track and got out and looked?

[/quote]

Yeah I rode out to about the pit area a couple of weeks ago. The salt was hard and solid. I saw nothing like I have read in this thread. I didn't want to disrupt any of the track prep so I didn't venture onto the courses I think the guys that are doing the prep know what they are seeing.

I like the outrage. I hope it does some good. I wanna race.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2015, 10:36:34 PM by SPARKY »
Ride fast, safety last.

https://speedofcheeseracing.com/

Offline tauruck

« Reply #893 on: August 25, 2015, 03:03:26 AM »
Guys, with all the reports, visual inspections etc what's the gut feel among you guys that race at SW and WOS?.

Do you think things might improve in the near future?. I'm A glass half full kinda person, in fact I never give up.

I'm a million miles away and I have faith that the situation will be resolved one way or the other.
The problem affects all you guys but it bothers me just as much to see my "family" under the gun so to speak.

I guess if LSR was a spectator sport with all the component retailers sponsoring the events and offering prize money etc things might be a little different. You spend the same Dollars as any drag racer, oval track or other and I think the companies you support should also get behind the effort to improve the situation.
Just my 2C. Mike.

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #894 on: August 25, 2015, 10:04:37 AM »

[/quote]

Yeah I rode out to about the pit area a couple of weeks ago. The salt was hard and solid. I saw nothing like I have read in this thread. I didn't want to disrupt any of the track prep so I didn't venture onto the courses I think the guys that are doing the prep know what they are seeing.

I like the outrage. I hope it does some good. I wanna race.
[/quote]

As you probably know, we don't race in the pit area & that is on the edge of the drain/pump field where the last of the salt is. While you were there it would have been worth your while to look at the whole picture.
  Sid.

Offline SteveM

« Reply #895 on: August 25, 2015, 10:19:50 AM »
This is a bit of a noob question - but why are there different course locations for different events?  The "international" course may not have been able to hold up to the amount of traffic associated with SpeedWeek, WOS, or the BUB event, but there was an area which was good enough for the Ohio State team to set a new record in their electric streamliner.

Clearly, none of the sanctioning bodies "own" a particular area of the salt flats.  Does the BLM license particular areas of the flats to the particular sanctioning bodies? I'm asking for the purpose of educating myself about the "ins and outs" of course locations on the salt.

Thanks,

Steve.
1/2 of the Rampage Brothers

Offline joea

« Reply #896 on: August 25, 2015, 10:28:21 AM »
The Cook FB site and BMST site shows the water logged course area's near International course...

https://www.facebook.com/CookLSS/photos/pcb.1656111077935937/1656110881269290/?type=1&theater

scrolling through the reports here you can see the pics and commentary:

https://www.facebook.com/CookLSS?fref=ts

Cook site repeatedly explained how fragile the internation course is, that it would
not hold up (as of a couple days ago) to bike meet or big car meet....but could work
for single car meet such as Venturi...

Reality from those who race.....on a course meticulously prepped best section of salt:

from Venturi report:

"""the team had only a 10 mile track to work with and throughout those 10 miles some segments were still partially wet and bumpy with clumps of mud and wet salt."""

""" These conditions inevitable led to problems with the vehicle, causing excessive shaking of the VBB-3 and it’s components and ultimately disrupted the electrical system. After careful consideration for the driver’s safety, the Venturi team and their experienced driver decided to make an attempt at the record on August 21st. It was their first and last attempt because on the rebound run, the front cooling system tank was pierced.

Roger Schroer, VBB-3 driver said :
"In eleven years here I have never driven on such a difficult track. The car was sliding on the surface from one side to the other due to soft spots and bumps."

velocity

« Reply #897 on: August 25, 2015, 02:30:03 PM »
excellent article in a Washington state newspaper. . .the message is getting out!

http://www.yakimaherald.com/sports/outdoors/the-bonneville-salt-flats-are-disappearing-as-are-the-races/article_a10a21f8-4af4-11e5-b7ec-03d044ff4b00.html

Racers! if each one of you reach out to your local newspaper, make a call to the news desk, the sport desk, explain why "local resident racer" is in trouble then it may percolate into a story like this one in the Yakima Herald.

This is how YOU can help save the salt, by getting YOUR word out on a lcoal level. Together that collective voice will create nation buzz - social media is great but the salt needs the American public now, the racing community just isn't enough . . .

Don't know anyone at the local paper? No problem. Go buy one and read it, you will find contact info throughout the paper. Reporters and editors are ALWAYS looking for new, fresh voices and new areas of concern - they want news and folks. . .WE GOT NEWS!

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #898 on: August 25, 2015, 08:47:04 PM »
This is a bit of a noob question - but why are there different course locations for different events?  The "international" course may not have been able to hold up to the amount of traffic associated with SpeedWeek, WOS, or the BUB event, but there was an area which was good enough for the Ohio State team to set a new record in their electric streamliner.

Clearly, none of the sanctioning bodies "own" a particular area of the salt flats.  Does the BLM license particular areas of the flats to the particular sanctioning bodies? I'm asking for the purpose of educating myself about the "ins and outs" of course locations on the salt.

Thanks,

Steve.

Steve, with the salt being so delicate the decisions were made to not run on somebody else's piece of real estate & phuck it up for them. There was a time in the not too distant past when the salt was still good, everything at speed week ran on one course. Once the pumping started the surface wouldn't stand up to that much traffic & multiple courses were introduced. Multiple courses really helped the waiting in line problem as you could imagine. There was times we waited in line all day with the liner & never actually got to run due to a crash or the wind or an equipment failure or a spectator had a heart attack & we had to wait for the ambulance to come back.
  Sid.   

Offline hotrod

• Black Horse photo
« Reply #899 on: August 26, 2015, 08:38:53 PM »
Is the salt report that Russ Eyers produced that everyone keeps mentioning available to the public, or only SCTA members?
I can find no links to it, folks mentioning it never bother to say where it can be found.

If you want general public and the racing community at large to support action, you need to make this report easy to find online.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2015, 09:54:38 PM by hotrod »