Author Topic: Saving the Salt  (Read 548215 times)

Offline JC Sparks

• www.JCSPARKS1.com
Re: Poor Salt Conditions - all topics merged into one
« Reply #825 on: August 13, 2015, 10:33:09 PM »
 Something I am wondering about. If Intrepid was made to stop mining,  who will run the pumps?
Nitromethane is liquid heroin.

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #826 on: August 13, 2015, 11:30:33 PM »
Something I am wondering about. If Intrepid was made to stop mining,  who will run the pumps?

Possibly you and I.  Where I live, SE Utah, the uranium industry left huge uranium tailing piles where there were mills. The one near here was cleaned up by us the tax payers for about 100 million if I remember right and I just read that the one left in Moab might approach or exceed 1 billion to clean it up.  This is happening all over the west (EPA spill in Colo just the other day).  The salt doesn't constitute a health hazard so maybe money from one of these 'super funds' couldn't be used but maybe somehow our tax dollars could be put to use if the mill shut down?  Tricky situation,

Sumner
« Last Edit: August 14, 2015, 10:38:03 AM by Sumner »

Offline rgdavid

• fancy metalwork
« Reply #827 on: August 14, 2015, 07:17:13 AM »
I would have thought that any core samples need to be done with the presence of an attorny or bailiff to witness.

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #828 on: August 14, 2015, 08:09:00 AM »
I would have thought that any core samples need to be done with the presence of an attorny or bailiff to witness.

Tangential to your point, given the number of studies that have been done, my concern is that the evidence that has been collected is comparable from one study to the next, and that the findings are conclusive enough that even a politician can understand them.
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline nrhs sales

« Reply #829 on: August 14, 2015, 11:43:22 AM »
You guys need to be really careful.  If the politicians decide that is is a great idea to protect the salt flats they might just decide to designate it a "wilderness" area.  If that happens that means ALL motor vehicles are prohibited from entering the area.  At that point we will never be allowed to race on the salt again.

Is that what we want?

I have seen this happen before for groups thought it was a great idea to stop logging operations in forests so they could have great riding areas.  They did get the logging stopped but also got themselves banned from the forest as well.

Offline jl222

« Reply #830 on: August 14, 2015, 12:10:42 PM »
You guys need to be really careful.  If the politicians decide that is is a great idea to protect the salt flats they might just decide to designate it a "wilderness" area.  If that happens that means ALL motor vehicles are prohibited from entering the area.  At that point we will never be allowed to race on the salt again.

Is that what we want?

I have seen this happen before for groups thought it was a great idea to stop logging operations in forests so they could have great riding areas.  They did get the logging stopped but also got themselves banned from the forest as well.

Yeah that worries me also, but if something is not done we won't be able to race their anyway.

JL222

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
    • Vance and Forstall Racing
« Reply #831 on: August 14, 2015, 12:37:03 PM »
Anybody going out to the Salt this weekend?
WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE 213.470
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Engine by Knecum, Tuned by Johnny Cheese.
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #832 on: August 14, 2015, 12:46:06 PM »
Anybody going out to the Salt this weekend?

From Cook's Facebook page ( http://landspeedevents.com/blog/ ) ...

New Speed Demon is ready to run.

2015 Shootout Date: September 17-21 AFD 130819 006 150x150 Mike Cooks Bonneville Shootout (current entries)

8/9/15
Despite the recent storm that deposited rain on the international course that we have already prepped for the
Venturi Buckeye Bullet’s private record attempt, we currently feel that the rain did not damage the course. We will re-prep the course for the Venturi/Ohio State team at the end of next week in preparation for them to begin running on August 17th. We currently have ten miles with soft conditions and some muddiness at the 11 mile mark. If the weather cooperates, things are looking very good for the shootout in September. If dry weather favors us we may have use of the 11th mile as well since most cars will be quite significantly slowed down by that point.

Sumner

Offline Speed Limit 1000

« Reply #833 on: August 14, 2015, 12:53:22 PM »
 :cheers:
John Gowetski, red hat @ 221.183 MPH MSA Lakester, Bockscar #1000 60 ci normally aspirated w/N20

Offline WOODY@DDLLC

• ECTA made it to AR-Kansas!
    • Design Dreams, LLC
All models are wrong, but some are useful! G.E. Box (1967) www.designdreams.biz

Offline nrhs sales

« Reply #835 on: August 14, 2015, 01:28:07 PM »
all i am saying is be careful what you wish for.

Offline RichFox

« Reply #836 on: August 14, 2015, 01:34:04 PM »

From Cook's Facebook page ( http://landspeedevents.com/blog/ ) ...

8/9/15
Despite the recent storm that deposited rain on the international course that we have already prepped for the
Venturi Buckeye Bullet’s private record attempt, we currently feel that the rain did not damage the course. We will re-prep the course for the Venturi/Ohio State team at the end of next week in preparation for them to begin running on August 17th. We currently have ten miles with soft conditions and some muddiness at the 11 mile mark. If the weather cooperates, things are looking very good for the shootout in September. If dry weather favors us we may have use of the 11th mile as well since most cars will be quite significantly slowed down by that point.

[/quote]

Sumner

[/quote]I had lunch with Bob Dalton and Don Jackson yesterday. They told me that Cook told them he would not have a long as hoped for course. I was going to pay the entry, but not if the course so no longer than at WoS. So at this time, it is my understanding Bob is running at WoS

Offline saltwheels262

• LTA 7/2013
« Reply #837 on: August 14, 2015, 06:14:50 PM »
If that happens that means ALL motor vehicles are prohibited from entering the area. 

That is a good point, Dan. Something to think about.

Franey
bub '07 - 140.293 a/pg   120" crate street mill  
bub '10 - 158.100  sweetooth gear
lta  7/11 -163.389  7/17/11; 3 run avg.-162.450
ohio -    - 185.076 w/#684      
lta 8/14  - 169.xxx. w/sw2           
'16 -- 0 runs ; 0 events

" it's not as easy as it looks. "
                            - franey  8/2007

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #838 on: August 14, 2015, 06:49:16 PM »
all i am saying is be careful what you wish for.

The end result is that we end up not racing - regardless of the approach.

The trump card in our favor is that the Bonneville Salt Flats International Speedway is recognized as a race course by the BLM.  By its very designation, we have the moral high ground - something important in any public discussion of the topic, and the very reason I think we should ALWAYS use the entire name - and probably the legal high ground in any discussion as to how the salt flats are to be administrated.

We have the same amount to lose either way - I say hold the BLM to task.

I'm much more worried about Intrepid cleaning us out.  Once that's happened, we're done forever.  I'm less worried about my fellow conservationists shutting us down.  Most of us can be reasoned with, and I assure you, given the choice of racing on the salt or mining of potash to continue monoculture agribusiness expansion, we've probably got allies in places you would never imagine.

It's nor black and white, it's not left and right - there's a LOT of grey right there in the middle, and we need to start claiming it now.

"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline maj

« Reply #839 on: August 14, 2015, 06:54:15 PM »
Intrepid have hard salt the depth and quality they want because its a controlled environment

short and long term this sort of thing may be our best option , much easier to control a pond with defined boundrys  than such a huge expanse of salt flat
a thin white crust is fine for tourism but makes a poor track