Author Topic: Saving the Salt  (Read 548104 times)

Offline USFRAMONTE

Re: Test-N-Tune 2015
« Reply #60 on: June 27, 2015, 05:47:07 PM »
Dennis Sullivan our club president is planning on going out tomorrow to check salt conditions. I will post an update as soon as I hear from him. It has indeed been hotter than hades here the last week and there is more of the same forcast for the next several days.
Keep your fingers crossed everyone.

Offline vwpsycho

• Potter Bros Racing
Re: Poor Salt Conditions - all topics merged into one
« Reply #61 on: June 27, 2015, 07:16:11 PM »
The water at the edges is designed to work like a castle moat.
We'd put alligators in there but they tend to die in 100-deg. F. brine (but, man are they tasty when you cook 'em..). -Keeps the scared tourists from fooling around on 'our' sacred playground.
The Middle of the salt flats are several inches higher in elevation than the afore-mentioned, protective 'moat'.
It is lovely, and growing longer, wider, and saltier with each passing, wonderfully-hellish-hot-day we are having here in Utah right now. :-D
Abe Potter
Salt Lake City
2571 G/PS Volkswagen Passat

Offline USFRAMONTE

« Reply #62 on: June 28, 2015, 07:21:37 PM »
Dennis Sullivan, Larry Volk and Lloyd Parry went on a salt scouting trip today.  The report is very favorable and I am glad to say that the Test-N-Tune is on....  The salt is drying nicely and it looks as though we will be able to have excellent salt conditions.  The fellows from the Bonneville Nationals are scheduled to start course prep on Monday July 6th.  I will post pictures as soon as they come to me.  Thanks to everyone who has been patient and to those who have traveled out to give us first hand reports.  Let's go racing!!!!!

Offline USFRAMONTE

« Reply #63 on: June 29, 2015, 01:55:24 PM »
I have been trying to post some photos that were taken yesterday by Lloyd Parry but my phone is not cooperating.
I may have to wait until I get home from work to get them uploaded. Dan Wright has posted some photos on our web
site www.saltflats.com so you can go there to see them.
We are going full steam ahead for the Test-N-Tune and will see you all in a couple of weeks.

Offline USFRAMONTE

« Reply #64 on: July 02, 2015, 07:47:05 PM »
As with the Test-N-Tune last year, the setup this year will be different than at WOS.  We are going to have the registration trailer sitting at the end of the access road. As you arrive, stop at registration and finish all your paperwork. You will then receive a card which you will take to inspection. Once you pass inspection they will issue the sticker and you will be good to go.
We are doing this to minimize the amount of traffic to and from the end of the road into the pits.  We want to make sure we have as little impact to the international course as possible.
We will also set up the pit area adjacent to the starting line to make things more accessable.  We will have lines painted along each side and well as the center of the course.
Looking forward to a great event.

Offline USFRAMONTE

« Reply #65 on: July 03, 2015, 05:01:51 PM »
Here is the schedule for the Test-N-Tune.
July 9th: Registration and Inspection.
July 10th: Drivers Meeting 7:30 AM. At the conclusion of drivers meeting, drive the course and then start racing. We will run
    until approx 6:00 PM.
July 11th: Start running 8:00 AM and to until 6:00 PM.
July 12th: Start running 8:00 AM, ERC fuel depot will close noonish. Stop running approx 2:00 PM.

We have invited Boy Scouts from the local council to come out on Saturday the 11th to spectate. We hope to have a bunch of them show up.

Offline saltwheels262

• LTA 7/2013
« Reply #66 on: July 03, 2015, 06:00:50 PM »
Good luck and have a safe event.

Franey
bub '07 - 140.293 a/pg   120" crate street mill  
bub '10 - 158.100  sweetooth gear
lta  7/11 -163.389  7/17/11; 3 run avg.-162.450
ohio -    - 185.076 w/#684      
lta 8/14  - 169.xxx. w/sw2           
'16 -- 0 runs ; 0 events

" it's not as easy as it looks. "
                            - franey  8/2007

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #67 on: July 04, 2015, 08:43:55 PM »
Today was a good day, fired up the 444 Little Giant streamliner today, tomorrow we will fire up the Turbinator II . we are ready to some test runs next week.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #68 on: July 04, 2015, 11:22:20 PM »
Great news Glen.  :-D :-D :-D

Pete

Offline USFRAMONTE

« Reply #69 on: July 06, 2015, 01:08:27 PM »
I rained in Salt Lake late Saturday and into Sunday morning.  I just got word from the Salt that there was no rain in Wendover and things are going forward. They are on the Salt doing the course prep as I post this. The temps in Utah are going to moderate this week and should be in the mid 80's.
Things are looking good. See everyone in a few days.

Offline BasementBorn

« Reply #70 on: July 06, 2015, 01:32:12 PM »
Sounds like it's setting up to be a good opening event. Any chance of it being streamed?
Gabe Gorton
Gorton Racing 1060 650APS-BG
Team Banana 1361 F/CPRO

Offline Texican

« Reply #71 on: July 06, 2015, 04:24:12 PM »
I rained in Salt Lake late Saturday and into Sunday morning.  I just got word from the Salt that there was no rain in Wendover and things are going forward. They are on the Salt doing the course prep as I post this. The temps in Utah are going to moderate this week and should be in the mid 80's.
Things are looking good. See everyone in a few days.

Here is a pretty good source; it doesn't tell actual precip; but if one can figure that  % humidity stays below 50%, and closr to 20 most times, well, there you have it.

http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/mesowest/getobext.php?wfo=slc&sid=KENV&num=72&raw=0

Offline Texican

« Reply #72 on: July 06, 2015, 04:31:43 PM »

Offline USFRAMONTE

« Reply #73 on: July 06, 2015, 04:37:07 PM »
Sounds like it's setting up to be a good opening event. Any chance of it being streamed?

For the Test-N-Tune we bring a much smaller work force so we can keep the costs down. This precludes any chance of us doing live streaming from the salt.  I believe we will be making several updates to our Facebook page each day to keep people informed as to what is happening.

stwheeler

« Reply #74 on: July 06, 2015, 05:11:15 PM »

For the Test-N-Tune we bring a much smaller work force so we can keep the costs down. This precludes any chance of us doing live streaming from the salt.  I believe we will be making several updates to our Facebook page each day to keep people informed as to what is happening.

Why use Facebook? Isn't that  partly what this site is for? because if one can get on facebook they can surely get on Landracing.com.