Author Topic: Saving the Salt  (Read 548210 times)

Offline hotrod

• Black Horse photo
Re: Poor Salt Conditions - all topics merged into one
« Reply #585 on: July 22, 2015, 01:46:37 PM »

Larry , I thought the article said they removed 4.4 Million tons annually.  I could be wrong, ive read so much lately that I dont remember where I saw it

I agree hard to keep track of all that myself. I believe that is 4.4 million tons of brine pumped but I would have to go digging to confirm that. The 300,000 number is based on the amount of salts that they acknowledge they sell every year.

Getting ready to head into work so don't have time to sort that out right now.

Offline BasementBorn

Re: Speed Week 2015 is cancelled
« Reply #586 on: July 22, 2015, 01:47:05 PM »
Good call Bob. Slim, did you guys end up getting shirts made? I'd hate to have you have to eat the cost of those.
Gabe Gorton
Gorton Racing 1060 650APS-BG
Team Banana 1361 F/CPRO

Offline wheelrdealer

• D/CBGALT
    • WHEELRDEALER RACING
Re: Open Letter to the BLM
« Reply #587 on: July 22, 2015, 01:48:43 PM »
Robin UK

Well said..

BR
ECTA    Maxton D/CGALT  Record Holder 167.522
ECTA    Maxton D/CBGALT Record Holder 166.715

WWW.WHEELRDEALER2100.COM

Offline Ron Gibson

« Reply #588 on: July 22, 2015, 01:52:36 PM »
IIRC  In the 60's when the speed wars with Mickey, Summers bros, jet cars etc. were going on the track was 20 miles of good salt.

Ron
Life is an abrasive. Whether you get ground away or polished to a shine depends on what you are made of.

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #589 on: July 22, 2015, 02:00:55 PM »
IIRC  In the 60's when the speed wars with Mickey, Summers bros, jet cars etc. were going on the track was 20 miles of good salt.

Ron

I don't think anyone, with maybe the exception being the BLM, is arguing that the salt is decreasing in thickness and in area (I'm not).  The basin is a closed system since it has no outlet and the salt can't be carried off anywhere else naturally.  So it is going across the highway and from there to who knows where.  This is the reason it is being transformed into a dry lake bed and not a salt flats and the reason that has to stop and the reason we need to support those trying to stop that process,

Sum

Offline desotoman

Re: 2nd Mining company to start mining on Bonneville Salt Flats
« Reply #590 on: July 22, 2015, 02:16:41 PM »
Another thing that would be helpful would be current status information on the save the salt web page.
The current content of http://www.savethesalt.org/current-events.html  makes no mention of the rainout or thin salt conditions this year.
This page should be updated at least every 60 days with current status information, and perhaps links to recent press coverage so new arrivals can see the on-going debate about the conditions out at the flats.

They brag about getting $40,000 in donations but can't spare $100 for a local journalism or web developer intern to do periodic updates?

Useful feed back to your support community is critical to both future donations and to maintain public awareness of the conditions at the salt flats and their exposure to exploitation, from mining without timely recovery of waste salt back to the salt flats.

Hotrod,

Thanks for posting this reply on this thread. We are on the same page, but you stated it much better and in more detail than I did on my post in another thread.  Re: SALT 2015 DOESN'T LOOK GOOD.« Reply #247 on: July 21, 2015, 02:41:49 PM »

Thank you,

Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #591 on: July 22, 2015, 02:42:31 PM »
Good question about the shirts.  Yes, we're GOING to make them.

We've held back for a while - waiting to hear if there was a cancellation.  But once the word was out and official - wee ordered the blank shirts.  They arrived -- just before lunch today.  We got 60 of 'em -- 10 medium, 20 large, 20 XL, and 10 XXL.  Nancy and I figured that'd be enough to get things under control.

Terri is about done with the art and the folks that sent in their $$ to be on the shirt -- haven't said "Gimme my money back!" so we're on to make them.  Some folks have already got their orders in for them and have even sent along shipping addresses (now that we won't be able to deliver the shirts at the salt).  We're going to make 'em right away soon - once the crush of jobs that we thought we had to finish before leaving for SpeedWeek is done.  Like -- we'll probably start making the shirts next week.

If you want shirts -- they'll be $20 each plus $7 for shipping of up to three.  Want more than three?  Add $7 for the next three and so on.  I send them in Priority mail envelopes and can cram three in each.

I'll show you the art as soon as we get it done - so if you want to wait before ordering -- go ahead.  And if you want sizes other than the above-listed four "common" sizes -- ask me and I'll ask Nancy if she can get them.  I know that really big sizes cost more (like 5XL) and probably pretty small sizes and maybe even women's styles cost more.  But you've got the basics now.

Thanks for your continuing support of landracing.com.  We'll stay here as long as you want us to be here.

Jon the Happy Wittol
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Speed Limit 1000

« Reply #592 on: July 22, 2015, 05:49:50 PM »
Slim, 20 XL seams a little short. Please set 3 aside for me :-D
John Gowetski, red hat @ 221.183 MPH MSA Lakester, Bockscar #1000 60 ci normally aspirated w/N20

Offline jww36

Re: SPEED WEEK 2015 Canceled - Hotel Reservations?
« Reply #593 on: July 22, 2015, 06:04:47 PM »
I just received an email from Wendover Resorts regarding Speed Week rooms. According to this email, they will be charging us for one nights stay, weekend rate, and returning the rest.
John Weatherwax

Offline 4bangerbob

• New folks
« Reply #594 on: July 22, 2015, 06:07:55 PM »
I just received an email from Wendover Resorts regarding Speed Week rooms. According to this email, they will be charging us for one nights stay, weekend rate, and returning the rest.
John Weatherwax

Yes confirmed, received an email advising the same.

Offline edinlr

« Reply #595 on: July 22, 2015, 07:07:50 PM »
Got the same message.  I guess one weekend night during Speedweek is about the same as they get for a week any other time, plus anyone else who stays there will gamble more than the racers.
Honda CX650 turbo, Kawasaki H2 Ninja, Kawasaki ZX750 turbo

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #596 on: July 22, 2015, 07:35:37 PM »
Delivery to WoS is still an option as well as holding Salt Talks then I trust  :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline saltwheels262

• LTA 7/2013
« Reply #597 on: July 22, 2015, 07:35:48 PM »
they will be charging us for one nights stay, weekend rate, and returning the rest.

I think that's a plus for those with reservations. Considering what they could have done.

Really bad news on the rain out.

bub '07 - 140.293 a/pg   120" crate street mill  
bub '10 - 158.100  sweetooth gear
lta  7/11 -163.389  7/17/11; 3 run avg.-162.450
ohio -    - 185.076 w/#684      
lta 8/14  - 169.xxx. w/sw2           
'16 -- 0 runs ; 0 events

" it's not as easy as it looks. "
                            - franey  8/2007

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #598 on: July 22, 2015, 07:53:08 PM »
JB, I got your very welcome "message" today, and yes, I'll make sure there are 3 each XL shirts set aside for you. 

I'll remind all that we ordered the quantities we did as a wild-azz guess to at least get things started.  Getting and making more isn't difficult -- but we had to start somewhere.  And as for WoS Salt Talks -- well, stranger things have been known to happen.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Eldo

• New folks
« Reply #599 on: July 22, 2015, 09:10:47 PM »
We booked late at the Quality Inn Wendover; Aug. 6 - 14th, 2 rooms at $2100CDN each. They are telling us the cancellation cutoff was July 1, so we are completely out of luck. I CANNOT BELIEVE they intend to keep this entire amount. Nowhere on any of my confirmations did I or do I see a "no cancellation" policy. Not only will this change my attitude about how business is conducted in Wendover, or the Quality Inn generally, it taints my view of this whole endevour, and while I understand and can swallow the dissapointment that is Speedweek being cancelled, the crushing blow of such blatant greed may change my view of Bonneville in general.