Author Topic: Saving the Salt  (Read 548284 times)

Offline dw230

Re: Poor Salt Conditions - all topics merged into one
« Reply #525 on: July 21, 2015, 02:33:34 PM »
Hotrod,

Did you mention in your letter to the WSJ that the ONLY major change to the salt flats in the last 100 years has been the introduction of the mining processes?

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline BasementBorn

Re: Speed Week 2015 is cancelled
« Reply #526 on: July 21, 2015, 02:35:36 PM »
You are probably right Bob. The AP did a brief article (the one that was on the AOL website) and their site has a page where you can submit comments and corrections to articles. I went ahead and left the following comment:

There needs to be more wide spread, national coverage of this issue with more information. It is a major issue as it includes everything from the effects of climate change to the effects of mining on a site that is not only an area of environmental concern but also a historic protected area. Ample coverage will aid in convincing the powers at be that there is a problem that needs to be solved. The Salt Lake Tribune has done a few articles in the last few weeks that give far more information.
http://www.sltrib.com/home/2709833-155/speed-week-is-in-danger-again
http://www.sltrib.com/home/2741970-155/blm-confirms-bonneville-salt-flats-may
http://www.sltrib.com/home/2750471-155/more-salt-please-bonneville-salt-flats

We will see if anything comes of it. Probably not but worth a shot.
Gabe Gorton
Gorton Racing 1060 650APS-BG
Team Banana 1361 F/CPRO

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #527 on: July 21, 2015, 02:53:33 PM »
  Briz, thank you for being so Gracious.  I look forward to meeting you in a couple of Years when the BLM folds to Public Pressure and The Supreme Court quashes all further mining on any Public or Private Land where a declared Nationaly Protected Area might be harmed as a result, and finish's hauling or pumping of all Intrepid Minings present Tailing piles.  I will buy you all the Beer you want (even warm but I won't watch you drink it.....  Bleah...)  I might even tip a N.A. (non-alcoholic) myself (fat chance) as I am a retired Professional Consumer of Grog, so to speak.
  I was hoping for this outcome as my last remaining live friend goes by Briz of (Bumpers by Briz fame) and I feared panicking in the future every time my cell phone says "Message from Briz" fearing death threats from... across the Pond.
                                                                                              See you on the Salt in say......... 2017
                                                                                                      One Run Bob, out..................................... :cheers:
Bob Drury

Offline hotrod

• Black Horse photo
« Reply #528 on: July 21, 2015, 03:02:50 PM »
Not specifically DW but it is clear from the contents of the report that that is the issue.
If he bothers to read the report and the report annex (can lead a horse to water ...) that is another question.

Offline Kansas Bad Man

• Max Lambky's Vincent powered motorcycle streamliner
Re: 2nd Mining company to start mining on Bonneville Salt Flats
« Reply #529 on: July 21, 2015, 03:03:10 PM »
I have been to the salt every year but 2 for the last 14 years at least for 1 race venue and some tines 2. The salt has taken a real beating in a lot of ways, some man and some mother nature. Nothing we can do about the mother nature thing and it seems not much can or has been done on the man thing. A lot of talk and that is about it in my humble opinion. I have supported save the salt on just about every fund raiser , quite a few hundred spent for the cause over the years. I am just a little guy not rich with a Navy pension and SS, If things don't get better, the other side of my brain is starting to kick in which says why am I doing this?

Just my 2 ------ The Kansas Badman       

Offline Walter

• Nash & Kirchner, P.C.
« Reply #530 on: July 21, 2015, 03:27:40 PM »
Any chance of a multi day meet at El Mirage to take the place of Speed Week?  I am told there are some cars on the water coming from overseas for the event.  Lots of folks are locked and loaded here.  A fill in event at El Mirage would at least give folks a chance to run.

Offline desotoman

« Reply #531 on: July 21, 2015, 03:41:49 PM »
Here is a stupid question or two?

Why on the Save the Salt website are there pictures of Racecars, instead of the current salt conditions? Or the Wreckers pulling out the motorhome that got stuck a few years back? IMO you need to show what is going on with the salt condition now and I don't feel the website does a good job relaying that message.

Also has anyone thought about taking full page ads out in Newspapers that do give us some ink? That might just encourage them to write more articles about the disappearing Salt Crust. Or a Newspaper that is located in Washington DC and show a picture of what we are talking about, as we need to go right to the politicians and make them more aware of the problem.

Pictures are worth 1000's of words and get the point across.

Like I said Stupid questions, but I need to ask.

Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline power58

Re: SPEED WEEK 2015 CANCELLED
« Reply #532 on: July 21, 2015, 04:40:30 PM »
If you check out Ron Mains Bonneville Book, every speed week cancelled by rain has had the next year cancelled also. See you in 2016
My inner child pretty much runs the place

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #533 on: July 21, 2015, 05:07:07 PM »
Tom, as has been said before, there are no stupid questions and the right questions may trigger some of the first critical answers.  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Pete

Offline BasementBorn

« Reply #534 on: July 21, 2015, 05:08:28 PM »
Would be a good idea but last I saw El Mirage is under water. Also, don't you have to be a member of an SCTA club to run at El Mirage? I would like to run there to at some point but I'm not sure how all that works.
Gabe Gorton
Team Banana 1361 F/CPRO

Offline dw230

« Reply #535 on: July 21, 2015, 05:17:22 PM »
To earn points towards the season championship or set a record you must belong to one of the SCTA member clubs. Rookies are required to run under 150 MPH on the first run. If the lake bed is engulfed with the masses that did not run at the salt the course will not hold up. It is trash after the second round with an entry of 90 or more.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #536 on: July 21, 2015, 06:04:12 PM »
  and also keep in mind that some of the biggest whiners that have been posting the last few days (and that would include ME, for better or worse) have offered a olive branch in a large number of their posts.              
  So far the only thing resembling a reply on the Topic from any Racer involved with LSR was Slim posting a acknowledgement from Ron Main stating the STS is aware of the New Venture being backed by virtually every Politcian in the State of Utah with a side order of the Mayor of WEST Wendover. 
  What they have up their sleeve is apparently too sensitive for us commoner's to peruse, so  I will hopefully for the last time  beat the dead Horse (that's Me pictured above) and plead on my bended and soon to be replaced right knee:  SAVE THE SALT ESTEEMED LEADERS.  I believe I am speaking for the vast majority of LSR Racers (Not all of the time, obviously) when I beseech YOU whom ever you consist of to Let us help you with Time, Effort, and Money, but please do not ask for Us to offer anything if We don't know at least the BASIC PLAN. Either we have the facts and evidence to force the BLM to comply with what their Job Description states or We don't.
  This is not a issue of Trust, Every one of You Has given all you can and more but If we have nothing to hide, I defer to the great quote of President Franklin Delano Roosevelt (may He rest in Peace) who spoke to the Nation  (via Radio as it was 1941), "The only thing We have to fear is fear itself".  Either We are ready to proceed with a plan or We aren't. Please let us know, and if there is not even a glimmer of light at the end of the Tunnel, let us know.  I don't want to make Vic Edelbrock of Jeg Coughlin any wealthier if My already warped Visa Card is going to support STS. and I doubt that anyone else does either.
  Please, everyone on this site is sick of my repetitious rants.  Give us a clue
                                                                                 With as much respect as I can Muster as my vision fades,
                                                                                        Bob Drury
Bob Drury

Offline BasementBorn

« Reply #537 on: July 21, 2015, 06:05:25 PM »
Ahh, got ya. Good to know. Thanks DW.
Gabe Gorton
Team Banana 1361 F/CPRO

Offline alineinthesalt

• New folks
Re: SPEED WEEK 2015 Canceled - Hotel Reservations?
« Reply #538 on: July 21, 2015, 06:06:36 PM »
I just reached out to the Resorts at Wendover hotel group - Peppermill, Rainbow and Montego Bay. I was told to call back on Friday to learn their decision.

Fingers crossed.

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #539 on: July 21, 2015, 06:11:52 PM »
  Dan, correct Me if I am Wrong but don't the entrant's Line up to Run in the Order of Finish (points garnered) in the previous year?  Also, please correct me if my understanding is incorrect that a Rookie would not make a run until all entrant's with points have had a opportunity to run first?
  Having never been to El Mirage I may in fact (as many have suggested previously) be delusional.
                                                                              Respectful of You and your Better Half,
                                                                                              Bob
Bob Drury