Author Topic: Saving the Salt  (Read 548258 times)

Offline F104A

• http://www.landspeed.com
Re: Poor Salt Conditions - all topics merged into one
« Reply #510 on: July 21, 2015, 11:02:48 AM »
How about hauling the bikes in their container to Canada for storage? It being one of your commonwealth countries, getting into and back out of Canada might be the cheapest way to get around the US import laws.
Ed

Offline 55chevr

« Reply #511 on: July 21, 2015, 11:13:34 AM »
The normal process for articles that are only entering the US for an event is a carnet application.   There should be no duty involved as they are not being imported only entering and then leaving after the event.  Not sure how long they can stay before a bond would required.

Offline jl222

« Reply #512 on: July 21, 2015, 11:14:02 AM »
  Briz, whenever I feel sorry for myself I go for a drive past the Local Vererans Administration Hospital and try to build up the guts to go in and ask the first person I see who is missing body parts How his day is going.  The last time I did it was about ten years ago when I went to visit Marlo's life time friend, Captain Bax, who was there for back surgery and doing fine.  By the time I walked back through the lobby and saw the remains of soldiers who were only there in body, or a part of a body, or hunched over having a conversation with no one, the tears started to flow  and I swore to God that I would never complain or whine about my troubles again without driving back to that Hospital.  I am ashamed to say I still haven't gone back inside that Hospital since but that's because I refuse to feel sorry for Myself or anyone else who lost money or time but is still alive and well.
  Your not the first person nor will you be the last to get Subaru on, and I am not saying this to embarrass you or anyone else but who gives a f*ck about your losing some money.  Get a Life.                                                                               Bob Drury

I've been wondering if BNI made their decision partly on saving the long haulers expenses.

JL222

Offline 38Chevy454

Re: Speed Week 2015 is cancelled
« Reply #513 on: July 21, 2015, 11:18:01 AM »
Sad to hear, hopefully this combination of weather issues and the poor salt surface will improve for future years.  First time in 13 years I will not be at Speedweek.

I know it was a tough decision for the SCTA and BNI officials.  Feel real bad for the competitors that have shipped their vehicles from overseas.

Maybe the collective frustration and grief over this can have some silver lining in that Save The Salt will get more attention and money donations?
I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.....

High Quality USA-made bear claw style latches CHEAP! Now including install kits also!
buy here directly:  www.hotrodlatches.com

Offline jl222

« Reply #514 on: July 21, 2015, 11:46:59 AM »
 What were the conditions on the International course and could Speedweek be allowed to run there?

If not why not?

jl222
« Last Edit: July 21, 2015, 12:29:02 PM by jl222 »

Offline hotrod

• Black Horse photo
« Reply #515 on: July 21, 2015, 11:59:29 AM »
I just sent an email to Barry Newman the author of the WSJ article on the salt flats with some of my salt crust images attached documenting the thin salt crust.
I also pointed him to the reports which describe how they use the term "salt crust" as referring to the entire salt deposit not the dense cemented halite listed in the report which by their own figures has a maximum thickness (in one bore hole) of 6 inches, 3 bore holes showing 4 inch thickness one at 3 inches and all the others lesser amounts ranging down to fractional inches.

It will be interesting to see if he does any sort of follow up.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #516 on: July 21, 2015, 12:35:50 PM »
Thanks BD for manning up
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline jl222

« Reply #517 on: July 21, 2015, 12:43:35 PM »

SPEEDWEEK CANCELD on front pg of AOL  :cheers:

« Last Edit: July 21, 2015, 12:57:30 PM by jl222 »

Offline BasementBorn

« Reply #518 on: July 21, 2015, 01:11:26 PM »
I am becoming a fan of the Salt Lake Tribune's coverage of everything that is happening, it's fairly in depth for a news paper article. I am wondering if there is anyway to get their stories picked up by news agencies across the country. Here is their latest article I have seen.
http://www.sltrib.com/home/2750471-155/more-salt-please-bonneville-salt-flats
Gabe Gorton
Gorton Racing 1060 650APS-BG
Team Banana 1361 F/CPRO

Offline Trikeopath

• New folks
« Reply #519 on: July 21, 2015, 02:10:16 PM »

I've been wondering if BNI made their decision partly on saving the long haulers expenses.

JL222

It wouldn't have saved us any expense, bikes are already in LA and flights were paid for months ago.
Only decision now is whether to come over anyway for a look around or just draw a line under it and make a new plan. (I have got one idea)
We just spent a year building a bike, I'm sure we can use it for something  :wink:.
Somewhere between murder and suicide is a place called Merseyside.

Offline dw230

« Reply #520 on: July 21, 2015, 02:19:11 PM »
John,

Thin, muddy ground with no continuous miles. And no.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #521 on: July 21, 2015, 02:19:20 PM »
  The Media and especially the Newspapers  used to rely on AP or UPI for news stories.  Now they are all linked just like We are.  
  If Donald Trump farts, they all will print it. If nothing is blowing up or the Mass Murder business is slow they might print a small edited version of the SLC Tribunes great coverage buried deep inside probably Page 6 or 7 of their National News section but only as "filler".
  The best chance for entire  article coverage to be printed in say a Chicago Paper would be for their Sunday Editions and most likely near the weather reports or Environmental reports if they in fact still cover those topics.  The bad news is that because The Newspaper business has become a mere shell of itself as their long time money maker, Advertising and especially Classified Advertising left when Craigslist and Ebay  were Born.  No advertising revenue means that many great reporters have been shown the door and if they need a replacement it will be a young "cub" reporter eager to please their bosses (who wish they would quit annoying him and just stay out of his sight).
  Now if one of the "Independent Consultants" they (The BLM) was publicly forced to produce goes out say Tomorrow and happens to uncover a WW II Bomb and accidently sets it off, We will be standing in "Tall Cotton" and the Article will be buried no deeper than Page Three.
  The Best part of that scenario is that All Networks would immediately go 24/7 as some devious producer of a News Show will undoubtedly try to link it to the Bomb's used by the Enola Gay (which of course made Wendover Famous) to drop the first Atomic Bomb on Japan. And the best part of 24/7 news (If there is one) is that even they need "filler" such as eventually mentioning why the "consultants" were out on the Salt Flats in the first place.  WHAM, BANG, HEADLINES!  The Story is on PAGE ONE OF THE NEW YORK TIMES the very next day and that folks is unfortunately probably the only way have a chance to Save The Salt in my opinion.
  Now what I have just said might sound Humorous, but as a avid reader of Newspapers I sadly report that this is what it all has come too.
  I am sure that The Salt Lake City newspapers Editor is taking more heat from the "good old boys" Politicians drooling over the New Mining Venture, than the BLM is taking from Their Bosses at the Department of Interior.
  My guess is that the young cub Reporter who opened this wonderful can of worms was not told to dig into "rumors" by the Editor of the Newspaper and may in fact be the biggest prize yet for Save The Salt.
  The Editor along with The Head Cheese of the BLM may be perched currently (side by side) on the dome of the Mormon Temple preparing to Jump. One due to Political Pressure and the other because of Public furor and outrage!  Banzai, Dudes.........................  Bob
« Last Edit: July 21, 2015, 02:21:00 PM by Bob Drury »
Bob Drury

Offline Briz

• Custom cycle developments
« Reply #522 on: July 21, 2015, 02:20:44 PM »
Thanks Bob; I kinda knew you were blowing off frustrations in your post, or at least I realised it awhile after! I'm not immune from that kind of reaction myself.
I was going to suggest grabbing a decent bottle of whisky and drowning sorrows that way. I know I will!
Good luck to you all. I sincerely hope for better things to come for the sport of LSR.

Offline bbarn

« Reply #523 on: July 21, 2015, 02:24:28 PM »

JL222

It wouldn't have saved us any expense, bikes are already in LA and flights were paid for months ago.
Only decision now is whether to come over anyway for a look around or just draw a line under it and make a new plan. (I have got one idea)
We just spent a year building a bike, I'm sure we can use it for something  :wink:.

Bring a license plate from the UK and slap it on. Maybe you get away with driving it around as a licensed vehicle. (Worked for Burt in the movie anyhow. lol)
I almost never wake up cranky, I usually just let her sleep in.

Offline paso54

« Reply #524 on: July 21, 2015, 02:30:12 PM »
IF THE WORLD FINALS have any chance of happening I would like to be there our bike is in LA in the same storage as Briz. I have raced 1/4 mile Top speed events .Roundy round racing for at last count 41 years. It has been my dream to race at Bonneville for the last 50 years. I am also chairman of the National sprint association in the uk
Just trying to get my head round all this Cheers Phil Steele Bike 519