Author Topic: Saving the Salt  (Read 548121 times)

Offline jacksoni

Re: Poor Salt Conditions - all topics merged into one
« Reply #390 on: July 19, 2015, 12:06:42 PM »
From a spectator perspective my main concern is the condition of the salt getting to and from the pits. We're in a rental RV and the last thing we would want is to be getting stuck, or going through damp salty mush which ruins the RV. I'm sure this is all part of the consideration in getting courses prepared is making sure the pit area and access routes are also in decent state. I really hope SW gets the green light but do feel apprehensive about taking this rental out there if the salt isn't like it was in 2013 when we last got out there.

You mean like last year's BUB after Speedweek got cancelled? We had to drive a least a mile in saltwater to get to the pits.

We've had conditions like this many years (water to drive through) with good racing.
Jack Iliff
 G/BGS-250.235 1987
 G/GC- 193.550 2021
  G/FAlt- 193.934 2021 (196.033 best)
 G/GMS-182.144 2019

Offline bearingburner

« Reply #391 on: July 19, 2015, 12:16:10 PM »
In '72 I had to drive through a large puddle to get on the salt. Dissolved my frame several years later.

Offline gas pumper

« Reply #392 on: July 19, 2015, 12:42:03 PM »
We continued work like we are going and racing. Now the car is in the trailer ready to go. If there no 5 mile course the Suburban and trailer stays here in NJ. Most of the crew is still going. We really enjoyed acting like drivers and owners last year, visiting and BS'ing in the parking lots! With no racing involved Bonneville is the best vacation, hanging around with like minded people!

Frank

Crew for 608 AA/GL.
Crew for The Flying Seven, 7207, XO/GCT, V4/FCT Loring.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #393 on: July 19, 2015, 01:02:29 PM »
Well, we could always try to re-do the salt flats the natural way --  -- lay back and wait some 10,000 years or so (no mining whatever during the eons) and let natural forces do their tricks.  Of course -- it might not work that soon, but I betcha it'd do so eventually.

Seriously -- doing anything other than nothing might or might not work -- but it'll take one heck of a lot of energy (both in terms or ergs and human grunt and brainpower) and resources to make even minor changes.  I'm not condoning the conditions as they are today -- just trying to take a very realistic look at what's what.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline joea

Re: Intrepid Potash Inc. what do they do?
« Reply #394 on: July 19, 2015, 01:03:46 PM »
messing with mother nature usually not so good...

this industry, possibly laughing all the way to the bank...

Offline mtkawboy

« Reply #395 on: July 19, 2015, 01:05:21 PM »
Phil Bennett, worry about the tow bill more then the RV. One got stuck years back and from what I heard after it taking 3 wreckers to drag everything out the bill was over 20 grand plus whatever BLM fined him. Big time street rod builder Boyd Coddington {RIP}was told not to take the RV on the return road to pick up the race car and did it any way. The price might have been more or less Im not sure but you get the point

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #396 on: July 19, 2015, 01:11:34 PM »
Phil Bennett, worry about the tow bill more then the RV. One got stuck years back and from what I heard after it taking 3 wreckers to drag everything out the bill was over 20 grand plus whatever BLM fined him. Big time street rod builder Boyd Coddington {RIP}was told not to take the RV on the return road to pick up the race car and did it any way. The price might have been more or less Im not sure but you get the point

It disturbs me how the story has evolved since it happened.  "The motorhome headed for the return road just as it was supposed to do."  Ron Christianson. http://www.saltflats.com/stuck.htm

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

velocity

2nd Mining company to start mining on Bonneville Salt Flats
« Reply #397 on: July 19, 2015, 01:12:55 PM »
Interested parties should watch this very slick, very informative pitch by Mesa about its intent to mine the salt flats IN ADDITION TO Intrepid.

BOUNTY POTASH PROJECT
https://youtu.be/VGtr1TXaNAE

The Canadian company has already filed preliminary paperwork with the US government to start mining the flats.

SAFETY WARNING: Watch this in the seated position and keep items you can fling with anger out of reach.

Offline Dniel Wright

• New folks
Re: 2nd Mining company to start mining on Bonneville Salt Flats
« Reply #398 on: July 19, 2015, 01:13:09 PM »
 :-o
Hi
I often visit, but seldom post.  This weekend I came across a new proposed Potash Plant for the Bonneville Salt Flats.
This proposed operation is called "The Bounty Potash Project".
Maybe I am the only racer that was not aware of this, but everybody that cares about Bonneville should know.

The initial permit application to the BLM was denied by the BLM due to proximity to the historic Donner Trail.
Mesa Explorations web site indicates they still hope to get the "permit Denial dismissed".
The BLM is in a tough position, they need to hear strong support from us, cause there is a ton of money (now called free speech) pushing them in the wrong direction.
I'm sure you all can see that our salt is a takeover target of the potash industry.  The video link makes that clear.

I fear for the future of our sport.
Respectfully,
Dan Wright

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGtr1TXaNAE

http://www.mesaexploration.com/s/bounty_potash.asp

http://phosphateprice.com/mesa-explorations-permit-to-develop-potash-mine-in-utah-rejected/

velocity

Re: Open Letter to the BLM
« Reply #399 on: July 19, 2015, 01:34:45 PM »
BECAUSE I DEEM THIS ITEM BELOW TO BE OF RED HOT IMPORTANCE I HAVE ALSO POSTED THIS TO A SEPARATE TOPIC TO ENSURE ALL RACING EYEBALLS KNOW THIS.

DOES SAVE THE SALT KNOW ABOUT THIS? IF SO, WHY HAVE THEY NOT ALERTED THE RACING COMMUNITY?

I had no idea such expansion was in the works.

CLICK ON LINK OR CUT AND PASTE INTO BROWSER

BOUNTY POTASH PROJECT

SAFETY WARNING: Please be seated and ensure that any objects easily flung in anger are out of reach.

velocity

Re: 2nd Mining company to start mining on Bonneville Salt Flats
« Reply #400 on: July 19, 2015, 01:36:56 PM »
UPDATE: THIS IS THE SAME PROJECT AS REPORTED BY DAN WRIGHT.

SLIM - DO YOU WANT TO COMBINE?

Offline jl222

Re: Did everyone get the BNI update?
« Reply #401 on: July 19, 2015, 01:38:25 PM »
One thing no one has commented on -- and it's a new course of action . . .
"We will make a decision no later than July 22."

This is the first time in my memory that SCTA has done that.  Saves the USA and Canadian long-haulers from making the trip -- but also won't allow a meet to happen should some miracle occur after the decision.  Ballsy.

Personally, I'd hold off buying any Pre-Entries or room packages for a while.  There is a refund policy for cancelled meets, but how it works with transferred entries I don't know.

I'd bet that if the Short Course meet comes about, there ought to be plenty of rooms and entries available.

I hope BNI doesn't decide to cancel until the very last minute. Most of us have a lot of time and money in our cars that live with only? a 750 0r more tow. I wonder what the average tow is? The race course has been flooded deeply in the past and raced on after a few days.
  I know it takes time to grade and set up, but a 3 mile course instead of several courses should take a lot less time.
The long haulers can make there decisions after course conditions are announced on the 22nd.

JL222

Offline jl222

« Reply #402 on: July 19, 2015, 01:48:24 PM »

It disturbs me how the story has evolved since it happened.  "The motorhome headed for the return road just as it was supposed to do."  Ron Christianson. http://www.saltflats.com/stuck.htm

Mike

Perfect pictures to sent the BLM showing 3ft of salt :-o

JL222

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #403 on: July 19, 2015, 02:07:44 PM »
As I said before:

FOLLOW THE MONEY,  TO YOUR ELECTED OFFICIALS AND APPOINTED BUREAUCRATS . . . . . . . . . . . .

Everybody prepare for the inevitable lawsuits,   it's the only way.    Decades ago I went down this rabbit hole with Trout Unlimited.

Only lawsuits and negative publicity can stop the Koch Brother and Mitt Romney types . . . . . .

OK, everybody can start screaming now.

Fordboy
Science, NOT Magic . . . .

I used to be a people person.  But people changed that relationship.

"There is nothing permanent except change."    Heraclitus

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."     Albert Einstein

Offline wheelrdealer

• D/CBGALT
    • WHEELRDEALER RACING
« Reply #404 on: July 19, 2015, 02:21:08 PM »
BECAUSE I DEEM THIS ITEM BELOW TO BE OF RED HOT IMPORTANCE I HAVE ALSO POSTED THIS TO A SEPARATE TOPIC TO ENSURE ALL RACING EYEBALLS KNOW THIS.

DOES SAVE THE SALT KNOW ABOUT THIS? IF SO, WHY HAVE THEY NOT ALERTED THE RACING COMMUNITY?

I had no idea such expansion was in the works.

CLICK ON LINK OR CUT AND PASTE INTO BROWSER

BOUNTY POTASH PROJECT

Wow, you can run and lie but you can't hide from the power of google and the internet. This is a real eye opener if anyone ever thought there was any thought given to the racers. I knew there were a lot of reasons but now I know there are at least 65,000,000!

Fordboy may be right, STS should go for an injunction to stop any movement on the new project.

BR

SAFETY WARNING: Please be seated and ensure that any objects easily flung in anger are out of reach.
ECTA    Maxton D/CGALT  Record Holder 167.522
ECTA    Maxton D/CBGALT Record Holder 166.715

WWW.WHEELRDEALER2100.COM