Author Topic: Saving the Salt  (Read 548078 times)

Offline Don Martin

• Studebaker build
Re: Did everyone get the BNI update?
« Reply #375 on: July 18, 2015, 11:19:53 PM »
I didn't build for 4 years to stay home. Scaaty Racing is running this year. My crew and this Studebaker are getting salty this year. Hope to get an A license. Besides I only haul it 1800 miles one way. I am closer than others.
Scaaty
53 Studebaker
A/BGCC
It's all fun  ECTA 2 Club Member  SAVE THE SALT

Offline Interested Observer

Re: Open Letter to the BLM
« Reply #376 on: July 18, 2015, 11:34:31 PM »
Is there documentation as to the historical thickness and chemical composition of the “salt”?  Presumably, some sort of survey and assay must have been done for scientific purposes or curiosity, or prior to the commencement of “mining” to justify the investment.  Wouldn’t the Utah geological records or old BLM have something on this?

Since Intrepid’s “Metal Recovery Salt” is 50% to 80% sodium chloride, it would be interesting to know how much of this has been removed and shipped.  If they haven’t shipped any significant NaCl, where is this monumental stockpile of salt that came off the flats?

And, as questioned by others earlier, what is the composition of the “brine” that gets pumped?  Since Intrepid evaporates the brine they collect, where does the pumped brine come from?    Is there any appreciable salt in it?    Or, are they just pumping what is essentially water out onto the flats so when it dissolves what is left there, it can then be re-collected and processed?

Offline Eldon S

• New folks
Re: Poor Salt Conditions - all topics merged into one
« Reply #377 on: July 18, 2015, 11:52:44 PM »
We got ours started today also. Planning on going until we get there or someone tells us not to come

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #378 on: July 19, 2015, 12:30:43 AM »
  I.O.,  I would bet my bippy that no one from the BLM can answer any of your questions either.  Its sort of like the Blind misleading the Blind........ 8-) 8-)
                                                                                                           One Run, out..........................
Bob Drury

Offline Bob Drury

Re: Intrepid Potash Inc. what do they do?
« Reply #379 on: July 19, 2015, 12:32:51 AM »
  uh, I know, I know, pick me!!!  They make MONEY!!! :roll: :roll:
Bob Drury

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #380 on: July 19, 2015, 12:53:34 AM »
  My final question of the week............  Has anyone asked Ron Main how much it cost per belly dump trailer to haul the salt He hauled for His admirable yet rebuffed test? 
  Also (I lied... see above) any idea How many cubic feet or tonnage or however they calculate the load do those type of trailers usually carry?
  If we knew the answer's to the above we might be able to calculate the Cost the BLM needs to pull out of their upcoming Christmas Party fund to fix the Salt Flats Debacle.
  Let's see, that would be:  lets say 15 miles X 5miles (just a guess) =75 square miles X one foot deep (we aren't greedy) =  (help, I ran out of fingers and toes...) :-P :-P
Bob Drury

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #381 on: July 19, 2015, 01:32:18 AM »
We may be able to fire inn  iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Phil Bennett

• 1978 Indy 500 Pace Car
« Reply #382 on: July 19, 2015, 02:35:38 AM »
From a spectator perspective my main concern is the condition of the salt getting to and from the pits. We're in a rental RV and the last thing we would want is to be getting stuck, or going through damp salty mush which ruins the RV. I'm sure this is all part of the consideration in getting courses prepared is making sure the pit area and access routes are also in decent state. I really hope SW gets the green light but do feel apprehensive about taking this rental out there if the salt isn't like it was in 2013 when we last got out there.

Offline distributorguy

• Advanced Distributors
« Reply #383 on: July 19, 2015, 07:59:01 AM »
I'm just reading between the lines here (lol) and what I've learned from the last day's posts is that Intrepid pumps brine both from the surface and from horizontal drilling, and they return brine (I must assume its a very low salt concentration) back to the surface "voluntarily" so they are "saving" the salt flats?   That's pure genius.  We are the horse.... :dhorse:
Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. 
Racing is the evil modification of insanity.

Offline JoeRider677

• FOIL HAT RACING - BIKES BUILT BETTER
    • Bikes Built Better
« Reply #384 on: July 19, 2015, 09:35:59 AM »
We have to talk about pumping SLURRY. So much salty in the water it can not all go into solution. Wholesale salt for road application is only about $.03 a pound. I did a quick calculation yesterday and the 580,000 plus tons of water, with unknown salt content, will only cover 1,700 acres at 3". Just four courses of various length is 240 acres, no pit, no shut down, no access roads....
There's a lot of factors going on here, how much salt is in the mud? What's the content of 'good salt'. This has been a problem all my life, more questions than answers
Foil Hat Racing
Bikes Built Better
SCTA Records 2011   ECTA 2013
MPS-BG   120.507     M-BF 140.507    
MPS-BF   141.236      M-BG 146.19
M-BG      118.674      MPS-BG 165.01
M-BF      132.905       MPS-BF 170.32
LTA 2013
1 mile - MPS-BG 174.341
1.5 Mile-MPS-BG 184.09
ECTA 2014
M-BG 155.38
M-BF 149.00
MPS-BG 175.57
MPS-BF 185.33
SCTA 2014
---
---
---
---
How hard do you practice when no one is watching

Offline lvsalt

• http://www.dcwaterjet.com
« Reply #385 on: July 19, 2015, 09:46:13 AM »
finishing up the car today, still hopefull but we need 5 miles.
Gary Cole     DCWATERJET Z

Offline RichFox

« Reply #386 on: July 19, 2015, 10:29:45 AM »
In some past years the road in has been under water for a mile or more. And quite sticky. But we had a good course. I don't believe you will get stuck if you stay between the cones. But getting in and out can be messy.

Offline WhizzbangK.C.

• Ed Bennett, Speed Team Doo Kansas City fab shop.
« Reply #387 on: July 19, 2015, 11:06:53 AM »
SO IF the "brine" that is pumped out onto the flats by Intrepid is not a true saturated solution, doesn't that mean that it will dissolve some of the existing crust, just like rain water does? Then as it filters down into the ground it will carry the extra dissolved salts with it, back into the Intrepid wells eventually.

It seems to me that unless they are pumping a true saturated solution that would precipitate salts out on the surface as evaporation occurs, then they are not really living up to the spirit of the agreements. More like they are pushing the existing salts down into their wells, and getting the expenses subsidized by others.  :?
Ah, this is obviously some strange usage of the word 'safe' that I wasn't previously aware of.  Douglas Adams

Offline hotrod

• Black Horse photo
« Reply #388 on: July 19, 2015, 11:25:31 AM »
Good point!
It is that old bugaboo unintended consequences. They might be adding lots of salt to the entire salt deposit but in the process of becoming a saturated solution stripping salt from the top layer and transporting it deeper into the deposit.

Hmmmm

Offline donpearsall

• http://soundappraisal.com
« Reply #389 on: July 19, 2015, 11:53:48 AM »
From a spectator perspective my main concern is the condition of the salt getting to and from the pits. We're in a rental RV and the last thing we would want is to be getting stuck, or going through damp salty mush which ruins the RV. I'm sure this is all part of the consideration in getting courses prepared is making sure the pit area and access routes are also in decent state. I really hope SW gets the green light but do feel apprehensive about taking this rental out there if the salt isn't like it was in 2013 when we last got out there.

You mean like last year's BUB after Speedweek got cancelled? We had to drive a least a mile in saltwater to get to the pits.

550 hp 2003 Suzuki Hayabusa Land Speed Racer