Author Topic: Saving the Salt  (Read 548035 times)

Offline Bob Drury

Re: Poor Salt Conditions - all topics merged into one
« Reply #270 on: July 16, 2015, 12:18:04 PM »
  To Vintage Racer, John, Stainless, Chris and everyone else who has posted on this topic, I value each and everyone else's opinions as much as my own knowing that We all have the same goal: To Continue to have a place to race which is safe and of little or no harm to the environment or causing a nuisance to any surrounding population of people or Animals.  As such, our racing community has done a  remarkable job of not harming the Salt Flats and with that I might add that the majority of temporary damage that I have witnessed in my twenty years on the Salt has been by spectators not obeying the rules and driving where it is forbidden.
  I am very fortunate to be living a dream that began with My first issue of Hot Rod Magazine in the late 50's and reading about The Dry Lakes and Bonneville.
  I am also a Environmentalist and care very much about what footprint We leave on the Earth.
  Each and everyone of us Has and is entitled to His or Her opinion on what needs to be done and how to do it.  I believe that for the most part this is a serious discussion between responsible Adult's ALL trying to help resolve this issue.  I thank Jon for providing us a venue to discuss all of our individual thoughts and opinions.
  I also want to thank "Hot Rod" (Larry ?) for the many hours of research He has already done.
  Opinions, both yours and mine, are just that... opinions.
  Of course people in High Places peruse this site. Its no big secret.  Of course they are defensive about sharing information.  Of course they need ALL of our help.  We are after all a Community of One, with a common goal.
  The problem as I see it is that this topic and the problem of Salt Depletion from a National Public Property for the Profit of Private Enterprise has been debated for over forty years and with the exception of the hit and miss pumping of the last decade NOTHING has been accomplished to stop the depletion of Salt by Us or the BLM.
  I am not trying to cry "WOLF" here as much as to try to get ALL OF US involved.
  Now I am asking, HOW CAN WE HELP? Over the last few years we have been asked to write our Politicians, The Department of Interior, The BLM, our Club Reps,etc.
  Now we are being asked to support Save The Salt (which if you have read my previous posts you know I support).
  What I am not hearing from anyone is how can We help a cause for our common good when they are apparently secretive in achieving a solution to Our common problem.
   Other than the Salt Pumping I know of nothing that has been accomplished in the last few decades by anyone and even those who have given their all like Ron Main has have been rebuffed by the BLM.
  No one seems to have a answer.  This issue needs to be brought to the forefront and dealt with now or STS has in my opinion very little chance of succeeding in its goal.
  As a side note, although I am not running my car this year, I had planned on attending Speedweek and volunteering for help with the STS booth or SCTA to pick up garbage or any of the many thankless jobs that all of our volunteer workers perform at every event.  My body doesn't always go along with my desires and I am now scheduled for knee replacement surgery in two weeks so I apologize ahead of time but will donate half of my anticipated trip expenditures to Save The Salt as well as donating as much as I can currently afford to this site.
  We are all in this together and I will support any and all venues that actively seek a solution however it is hard to do in a atmosphere of secrecy.
  In closing I want to thank all who have posted on this subject whether You agree with me or not, this has been a learning experience for all and at least hopefully made us all aware of how much We take for granted. Nothing lasts forever but if treated with love, care, and respect it can last a lot longer!
                                                                              With regards and respect to all,
                                                                                          Bob Drury

« Last Edit: July 16, 2015, 12:20:07 PM by Bob Drury »
Bob Drury

Offline sdroadster

« Reply #271 on: July 16, 2015, 12:20:05 PM »
I think we could all agree that our Bonneville salt clock is ticking. By the time we negotiate with the BLM, and pay for additional studies of salt depletion, there won't be any salt left to argue about. Maybe it's time to find a new place to conduct our activities. Many have referred to the area south of I80, and also the area behind the floating mountain. I know there will be difficulties in getting approval for a new location, but without mining revenue to contend with, this could be easier and more permanent option.

We're beating our head against a wall, and all we're getting is a bruised head. It's time to move on.  

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #272 on: July 16, 2015, 12:27:54 PM »
  Jeez, I always thought it was the cheap whiskey that made my Head Hurt........................... :cheers:
                                                                                  One Run Bob (two years sober and loving life... not that anyone asked)
Bob Drury

Offline nrhs sales

Re: will speedweek 2015 happen?
« Reply #273 on: July 16, 2015, 12:30:22 PM »
yes but there might be some folks who are already in Wendover who would like to post their personal impressions of the salt that would not necessarily be what SCTA says right?

Offline Bookfla

Re: Open Letter to the BLM
« Reply #274 on: July 16, 2015, 01:54:53 PM »
Louise-

Your point is well taken.
The letters should be addressed to Mr. Oliver with copies sent on up.
We need to keep him in the information stream if we want to get cooperation from him.(Don't go "behind his back")

Will Willis

Behind his back? Seems like he has had enough time to address issues without a favorable response. I am new to Bonneville racing compared to most on this site but I'm not an idiot nor have I lived in a cave either. I want to support the right "process" to get to where we want to go and that is a preserved historic site like so many others designated as such in the US. Threatening to get someone fired at a lower management level isn't going to help. I don't know enough about the politics of this at the moment and I come to this site to learn more but it seems unrealistic to expect someone to help you by threatening them. In fact, human nature would have most people laying in bed thinking of ways to undermine you or what you stand for. Maybe that's where his head is at now?

Offline jl222

« Reply #275 on: July 16, 2015, 02:15:30 PM »

Maybe with enough public knowledge, or pressure from congressmen and senators as to how the BLM has not properly supervised the salt flats depletion over several years they could be convinced to pay for the salt pumping.

I have suggested this in the past HAVE THE SAVE THE SALT TRAILER CRUISE PAST THE SPECTATORS FOR DONATIONS while announcer is describing our situation. Or cruise and park. This would greatly increase Save The Salt trailer exposure.

JL222
« Last Edit: July 16, 2015, 02:38:25 PM by jl222 »

Offline BasementBorn

« Reply #276 on: July 16, 2015, 02:51:41 PM »
I have a question about the salt talks, what usually gets discussed there? I haven't been to one yet but am planning on being there this year so I don't know. The reason I ask is would it be a reasonable venue to invite STS, BLM, SCTA, etc. so there could be some real dialog on the whole matter? The video conference that happened earlier in the week was a step in the right direction but not extremely helpful as far as getting to know what is happening, benefits and drawbacks to mitigation ideas, what we can do to help, etc.
Gabe Gorton
Gorton Racing 1060 650APS-BG
Team Banana 1361 F/CPRO

Offline dw230

« Reply #277 on: July 16, 2015, 05:53:50 PM »
Any idea who that may be? If so, they are keeping the facts to themselves.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline desotoman

« Reply #278 on: July 16, 2015, 05:57:52 PM »
  Desoto, then why is the BNI paying for the Insurance and God knows what else for El Mirage.  And what was the entry total for the last event?
  I am privileged enough to receive copies of the Monthly SDRC and SCTA meeting minutes and if what I have read in the last year is true, it sounds like the BLM is demanding more and more restrictions every year at El Mirage.

Bob

Bob,

July meet at El Mirage was 98 entries.

Every month I get the SCTA minutes also. And yes BNI would write checks to help support the SCTA meets. Why? I know why, but don't want to post on the internet, so ask some of the SDRC members and they will give you the answer. But without the BNI money it would not break the SCTA, they would just get the money from the members, in dues and entry fees. Remember El Mirage for us is local, so no hotel costs, food, per diem, multiple sets of race course gear etc. the biggest cost to put a meet on is insurance.

The BLM is now asking that we put tarps down under the cars when fueling. And now they charge us more for passes than in the past.

You must also remember the Sierra Club and many more groups like them would love to see no one on that lake bed. And these opposing clubs have tons of money and political connections.

Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline dw230

« Reply #279 on: July 16, 2015, 06:09:45 PM »
If I may offer a suggestion? OK, I will anyway.

When you write your letters to BLM, Congress, Senate, etc. you may want to include a notation that the ONLY change made to the salt flats in the last 100 years is the introduction of the mining industry. There must be a connection between this fact and the depletion of the salt as it was 1000s of years ago.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #280 on: July 16, 2015, 06:14:24 PM »
  As much as we all hope Speedweek will happen as scheduled, The folks that I feel the worst for are The Bike Racers from Europe that have shipped their Bikes over for the second year in a row.  They stayed at the same Hotel and floor as I did last year, and they were not your normal excited First Timers if you know what I mean. And just like last year, for some of them as well as some of the North American racers, it was the only chance they may have or had to ever visit Bonneville.
  I encourage any and all of you who have never been able to actually witness a event at Bonneville to attend Speedweek even if only one short course is available. 
  You will never forget the experience or the racers who unless trying to diagnose and repair  their vehicle will take the time to visit with you and patiently answer your questions.
Bob Drury

Offline BasementBorn

« Reply #281 on: July 16, 2015, 06:24:37 PM »
There are a couple pics on the Bonneville Land Speed Racers group on facebook page that says they were taken today @ 2:00pm and they don't look bad. I am hoping for good word from the SCTA next week. Here is the link to one of the pics https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10204416582284141&set=gm.663300230474170&type=1 Sorry to those that don't have facebook, I haven't figured out how to post pics directly to the forum yet.
Gabe Gorton
Gorton Racing 1060 650APS-BG
Team Banana 1361 F/CPRO

Offline jl222

« Reply #282 on: July 16, 2015, 06:33:27 PM »
There are a couple pics on the Bonneville Land Speed Racers group on facebook page that says they were taken today @ 2:00pm and they don't look bad. I am hoping for good word from the SCTA next week. Here is the link to one of the pics https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10204416582284141&set=gm.663300230474170&type=1 Sorry to those that don't have facebook, I haven't figured out how to post pics directly to the forum yet.

That's the whitest I've seen the salt in years :?

JL222

Offline Ron Gibson

« Reply #283 on: July 16, 2015, 06:44:47 PM »
For those that are fairly new to the salt, check out "1989 Bonneville salt flats racing" on youtube.  You can see how much salt there used to be then. At about 30 minutes in there is the BLM official explaining how much salt is gone and going away. When they (the BLM) knew it then, seems  a little hard for them to say they don't know where it's going now or if it went away at all.
The explanation about how the salt is thinner because it is spread out more because of the heavy rains don't hold water. In the 70s there was crusty salt almost all of the way to the 38 mile mark and very little vegetation was able to grow. Today it's mud with lots growing.

Ron
Life is an abrasive. Whether you get ground away or polished to a shine depends on what you are made of.

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #284 on: July 16, 2015, 07:45:15 PM »
For those that are fairly new to the salt, check out "1989 Bonneville salt flats racing" on youtube.  You can see how much salt there used to be then. ....

I wasn't there and maybe Glen can fill in more but back before the Interstate they were racing over as far as where the Truck Stop is now (east of it) as Breedlove clipped the telephone poles over near what is now the interstate and ran into the pond over there.  You can still see some of those old poles.

I'm sure some historic photos, especially aerial ones, would show the extent of the salt back then vs. the mud in the same areas now,

Sumner