Author Topic: Saving the Salt  (Read 548186 times)

Offline Bookfla

Re: Open Letter to the BLM
« Reply #240 on: July 15, 2015, 04:39:13 PM »
Is it really the District Manager that should get the letter or someone higher up the food chain? I understand it starts from the bottom up but are you barking at the Janitor because the line to the outhouse is too long?

Offline hotrod

• Black Horse photo
Re: Poor Salt Conditions - all topics merged into one
« Reply #241 on: July 15, 2015, 04:41:35 PM »
Save the salt might look at a ufundme effort to raise special funds for the project. If widely publicized it could draw from world wide audiences who would never think of donating large sums to Save the Salt but would be happy to pitch in $5 -$10 to a ufundme campaign to fund a special restoration project.

You would need a skillful public relations type to do the offer to push the right buttons, but as you say drag racers, hydroplane racers and others who never would actually come out to Bonneville still likely have a special place in their heart for the venue and its history.

Like major charities, short duration special campaigns repeated periodically can raise a lot of money when a long term nickle and dime campaign simply does not generate enough interest and emotional impact to get people involved. You need a full court press in the motor sports media where they all pitch the project at the same time, with a "time is running out" message to get people to make that donation. Those of us who walk up to the save the salt trailer and toss them $55-$100 at a time are dwarfed by the 10's of thousands of folks who might be willing to pitch in $5 on an online funds campaign to a trusted and well known path like Ufundme.

If we want to save the salt we need to start thinking about new media and how it really works today to raise funds!
It is an impulse buy system now, pull on peoples emotions and get them to give you $5 10,000 times rather than twist the arm of a single individual to give a larger sum, just a few times.

Hotrod Magazine and the other major media who have historical connections to Bonneville need to step up and provide the media coverage to save the salt, it ain't going to happen with small town news articles and special niche publications with low circulations.

Offline Koncretekid

« Reply #242 on: July 15, 2015, 04:46:10 PM »
Bill,
I liked your letter and I think that we will be better off asking for help rather than demanding it. A hundred letters like yours might do more than a thousand demands or even a lawsuit.
Tom
We get too soon oldt, and too late schmart!
Life's uncertain - eat dessert first!

Offline F104A

• http://www.landspeed.com
« Reply #243 on: July 15, 2015, 04:55:16 PM »
Bob brought up a point about revenue to the local economy but in addition to that, the sport of land speed racing in a larger scope is a huge revenue flow to the entire world of racing. Think of all the race teams and families that spend huge amounts of money to build and support the hobby and in some cases the professionals who's economic health depends upon the money spent on racing equipment and the supporting infrastructure surrounding the sport.
Ed

Offline nrhs sales

will speedweek 2015 happen?
« Reply #244 on: July 15, 2015, 05:28:09 PM »
Since the other thread that was supposed to be talking about the salt conditions and if the event would happen or not has been turned into something completely off topic I thought I would start a new thread.

Please only post FACTUAL information regarding the CURRENT salt conditions and any official news from SCTA about the event here please.

Offline joea

Re: will speedweek 2015 happen?
« Reply #245 on: July 15, 2015, 05:53:09 PM »
Officially, I  believe that is what the SCTA website is for...

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #246 on: July 15, 2015, 05:58:41 PM »
  Stainless, you are making assumptions and not stating proven facts.  You have all the right in the World to disagree with me or others who state their "opinions" but don't start dishing out stuff that even Marlo can't prove or that the SLS lawyer supposedly caused.
  Your a better Man than that and as You and I both know, their are very few of us perfect ones left.
                                                                           With warmest regards, One Run, out........................
Bob Drury

Offline joea

« Reply #247 on: July 15, 2015, 06:25:11 PM »
Did you sir (stainless) state that there was "no connection to winning a suit against feds" .. yes sir I did ..
no further questions your honor ...

great stuff on this thread, it's very much appreciated as it all pertains to what is occurring and the current state of salt , and info that could potentially facilitate moving forward in positive manner

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #248 on: July 15, 2015, 06:28:27 PM »
  Chris, to answer your last question, we need to look no further than Save The Salt (a non profit organization) who with the backing of SEMA (the Speed Equipment Manufacturers Association), Nascar, the NHRA and countless other business entities and enthusiasts from around the World.
  I only wish they would do a better job of updating their website so We could understand what efforts are currently underway.
  The refusal of the BLM to allow Ron Main to haul in, grade out and pay for Salt from across the fu*king freeway for a Test Course because of "Environmental Concern's" was the last straw as far as I am concerned. This is the same damn Salt they have been pumping back every Winter (when the pumps are "working") for the past several years!
  Save the Salt needs Money to fund the research and hire if necessary a new lawyer well versed in Environmental Law and trial litigation. (where is Gerry Spence when we need him)?
  We need accurate geological records not funded or subsidized by the BLM or the Federal Government.
  With the wonders of the Internet (and it looks from previous posts that some of us are already at work) We can all do what we can to gather facts that cannot be disputed as evidence.
  Most of us aren't smart enough to do that kind of research, but facing the prospect of owning possibly worthless Race Vehicles should give each of Us Imputance to donate as much as we can.
                                                                                                          With respect,
                                                                                                                           Bob Drury
Bob Drury

velocity

« Reply #249 on: July 15, 2015, 07:10:46 PM »
I worked for years as civil servant and family members have held myriad of elected and appointed government positions, so I am well aware of how the machine works and grinds to a halt.

Mr. Oliver is directly responsible for the Bonneville Salt Flats and therefore should be notified of any displeasure on the part of the American public about how the BLM is discharging its duties.
Below are the others that should receive a copy of your letter to Oliver as well as add any points the legislator might need to know.

Representative Rob Bishop
123 Cannon House Office Bldg
Independence Ave SE,
Washington, DC 20540
Phone: 202-225-0453
Fax: 202-225-5857        
http://robbishop.house.gov/

Congressman Jason Chaffetz
2236 Rayburn House Office Building
Washington, DC 20515
Phone: (202) 225-7751
https://chaffetz.house.gov/office/washington-dc

Congressman Chris Stewart
323 Cannon House Office Building
Washington, DC 20515
Phone: 202-225-9730
http://stewart.house.gov/

Utah senators include Orin Hatch and Mike Lee

Senator Mike Lee
361A Russell Senate Office Building
Washington, D.C. 20510
Phone: 202-224-5444
http://www.lee.senate.gov/public/

Senator Orin Hatch
104 Hart Office Building
Washington, DC 20510
Tel: (202) 224-5251
Fax: (202) 224-6331
http://www.hatch.senate.gov/public/
« Last Edit: July 16, 2015, 12:36:46 AM by velocity »

Offline desotoman

« Reply #250 on: July 15, 2015, 07:32:41 PM »

Without the Salt Flats the SCTA and BNI will go broke.  As it is now, the proceeds from Speedweek pay for the majority of El Mirage racing and the World Finals costs.
                                                                                      Bob Drury  

Bob,

The SCTA would not go broke. It existed long before there was SCTA sponsored racing at Bonneville.  El Mirage racing entries would just get a little more expensive than they are now and there might be an increase in dues for SCTA members, but the racing at El Mirage would continue, no different than before there was a Bonneville Salt Flats to go to. If there is no longer racing sponsored by SCTA at the Bonneville raceway, there would not be a need for the BNI.

Nope, my Land Speed Racecars are not for sale.

Tom G.

I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline hotrod

• Black Horse photo
« Reply #252 on: July 15, 2015, 07:48:36 PM »
Salt laydown project

http://www.blm.gov/style/medialib/blm/ut/salt_lake_fo/bonneville_salt_flats/salt_laydown_project.Par.49376.File.dat/IMF03_White_BSF5yr_042004.pdf

Societal Need for the Salt-Laydown Project

Reported depletion of salt-crust thickness has been a concern to the public and land-managing agencies for at least 26 years (McMillan, 1974, p. 1; Lines, 1979, p. 4). This concern is based on changes in salt-crust area and volume reported between 1960 and 1988 that were measured north of the Western Pacific Railroad and I-80. McMillan (1974, p. 3) reported a 9 and 15% respective decrease in salt-crust area and volume during 1960–1974. Brooks (1991, p. 8) calculated 20 and 30.6% respective decreases in salt-crust area and volume during 1960–1988.

Because the BLM, Reilly Industries, Inc. (Reilly), and the racing community (represented by “Save the Salt” - STS) were concerned about the reported deterioration of BSF, they attempted to replenish salt to BSF through cooperative agreements. In 1991, Reilly and STS jointly funded a salt-replenishment feasibility study that resulted in a Salt-Laydown facility plan (Bingham, 1991). According to the plan, sodium chloride (NaCl) brine would be pumped out onto BSF at a rate of 6,000 gallons per minute, 24 hours per day, for 6 months (November–April) during each year of the program. This experimental program was scheduled to operate for 5 years. The Salt-Laydown facility plan suggested that up to 7.5 million tons of salt could be deposited during a 5-year period over a 28-square-mile area.

According to Bingham (1991, p.2), the project could result in a 2-inch addition to the existing salt-crust thickness.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2015, 07:51:25 PM by hotrod »

Offline BobDcuda

« Reply #253 on: July 15, 2015, 08:17:10 PM »
Where is the voice of Save the Salt in this discussion?  There have been a lot of very positive ideas brought up here - is there a message for us from Save the Salt that might give us some direction in venting our concern and frustration with the salt situation?  Save the Salt is a coalition of bigger contributors than most of us here, and they're driving the ship.  But where is it going, and who is the captain?  What can we as racers do to help them implement their strategy?  What is their strategy?  Is there something in particular we want our congressmen to do, or just let them know we're worried?  I could go on....

Some time a few months ago on this forum, someone suggested we all write a letter to our elected officials.  I asked what should our message be?  It was said a form letter wouldn't be effective.  Well I wasn't asking for a form letter, I was simply asking what should the gist of my "home made" letter be; what should the message be?  If we had a clearer idea of what the strategy was in this fight, I think we as racers could be a more effective voice.  But I think we could use more guidance, call it leadership, from.....

Louise, thanks for sharing your open letter and the specific information on where letters should be directed.  Bill R - great letter.

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #254 on: July 15, 2015, 08:39:59 PM »
  Desoto, then why is the BNI paying for the Insurance and God knows what else for El Mirage.  And what was the entry total for the last event?
  I am privileged enough to receive copies of the Monthly SDRC and SCTA meeting minutes and if what I have read in the last year is true, it sounds like the BLM is demanding more and more restrictions every year at El Mirage.
  I may be incorrect about the possible demise of the SCTA but I still believe that if the Salt Flats do not recover, neither will the finances of the SCTA especially if there is no place left to race West of the Mississippi.  Also, can you imagine El Mirage with 500 entrants?
  I ain't sellin My car either.  Its too low for a Street Rod but I guess a bracket racer might have to fill the bill.  I just hope it never does a wheel stand cause when it comes down about 500 lbs of rust and salt will hit the ground........................ :-P :-P :cheers:
                                                                             Bob
Bob Drury