Author Topic: Saving the Salt  (Read 548124 times)

Offline Sporty Dan

Re: Poor Salt Conditions - all topics merged into one
« Reply #165 on: July 14, 2015, 09:12:25 AM »
I voted yes. With my bike I wouldn't be on the long course anyway. With the possibility of 2 courses, the wait times shouldn't be too bad. I hope.

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #166 on: July 14, 2015, 09:52:00 AM »
Well I think anyone can put anything in Wikipedia... just hit the edit link

Just because you see it on the internet or read it in the paper does not make it true  :cheers:

Stainless, so you believe the BLM is telling the truth when they say the salt is as thick today as in 1988?
As anybody knows that has been racing for that long, the salt is not the same. In 88 you had to drill a hole to drive a tent peg into the salt it was that thick. At the end of the week it took two men & a boy to get the muther back out again.
It boggles my mind how the BLM can believe there is no change.
  Sid.

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #167 on: July 14, 2015, 10:19:23 AM »
The BLM and Forest Service functions have been to manage resources and that doesn't necessarily mean protect them unfortunately,

Sumner

Offline USFRAMONTE

« Reply #168 on: July 14, 2015, 11:24:23 AM »
The article in the Salt Lake Tribune has really gotten some traction.  As a follow-up to the article, the Tribune has decided to have a
round table discussion live on the internet today.  There will be a scientist from the University of Utah, someone from the BLM and a member of the Save the Salt board. It will start at 12:15 pm MST today. Here is the link for those of you that can listen in.

http://www.sltrib.com/blogs/tribtalk/2727276-155/trib-talk-bonneville-salt-flats-minus

Offline ATS, Inc

• New folks
« Reply #169 on: July 14, 2015, 12:34:57 PM »
I would think that before the United States Army Air Corp decided to build a base for the most important military program ever in Wendover, and started flying irreplaceable B-29 bombers over the Bonneville Salt Flats training for the mission to end World War II, they made sure that those salt flats were thick enough to land those airplanes on them! It's been seventy years, where are the surveys that I'm they sure did? It's not Top Secret any more. There has to be a feasibility report on using the Bonneville Salt Flats as an emergency landing zone! And that report would list the thickness of the salt, and the date that was measured.

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #170 on: July 14, 2015, 01:55:48 PM »
One of the newly issued BLM rules is no fixed wing aircraft on the salt.
  Sid.

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #171 on: July 14, 2015, 02:11:59 PM »
  If you go to the Link, you can text the program with questions.
  I don't have the capability but would appreciate if someone could ask if anyone asked the BLM to be part of the Forum.
  I don't think they have the Ball's to show up and lie to the Public.
                                                                                       thanx, Bob Drury
Bob Drury

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #172 on: July 14, 2015, 02:48:13 PM »
That was a waste of time, signal and audio kept dropping out.The conversation was very one sided.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #173 on: July 14, 2015, 02:49:04 PM »
You're right Bob, the BLM was absent from this show. Just finished a few minutes ago.

To say I was Frustrated would be an understatement.......  :evil:  :evil:  :evil:
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline DaveB

« Reply #174 on: July 14, 2015, 03:02:06 PM »
I just looked over the BLM's salt thickness study that is on their web site. Many people that look at this salt thickness "issue" are going to look at their published data and believe the BLM. I believe there is something to the problem of salt thickness because I believe many of the commentors on this web sight when they say the salt is thinner or softer. Therefor this is what I suggest:

Salt users could do some salt thickness measuring of their own. This could be done at areas that are known to be thin. Then the data is compared to the BLM data. I realize permission may be needed for any testing. Actual data that is counter to the BLM data might get someones attention and get the BLM to update their test. Otherwise they may just see talk about the salt being thinner as anecdotal.

If save the salt has the money they may hire an independent engineering firm to do testing. Obviously not as many test holes as the BLM has done, but enough to get some data that could not be ignored. Independent data is hard for even bureaucrats to ignore.
Everything I know about opera, I learned from Bugs Bunny.

Offline DSR88

« Reply #175 on: July 14, 2015, 03:02:56 PM »
I agree Mike my FRUSTRATION would end in BEEP BEEP BEEP !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline dw230

« Reply #176 on: July 14, 2015, 03:05:32 PM »
DaveB,

Your suggestion has been done many times already. Save the Salt and an independent study by Ron Main to name a couple.

Data is ignored by the BLM and legislators follow the BLM info vrs. the studies.  :dhorse:

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline NathanStewart

Did everyone get the BNI update?
« Reply #177 on: July 14, 2015, 03:06:03 PM »
See attached.  BNI email message came through as a png.   :roll:
El Mirage 200 MPH Club Member

Offline DSR88

« Reply #178 on: July 14, 2015, 03:08:50 PM »
Here is my study 40 years ago I use to try to dig to see what was under the salt and all I found was more salt. Now I know what is under there we race on it in spots :-(

Online Speed Limit 1000

« Reply #179 on: July 14, 2015, 03:11:10 PM »
Did the BLM commit to join the show? If so what excuse do they have for not joining? Bull $hit LM :dhorse:
John Gowetski, red hat @ 221.183 MPH MSA Lakester, Bockscar #1000 60 ci normally aspirated w/N20