Author Topic: Saving the Salt  (Read 548065 times)

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Re: Poor Salt Conditions - all topics merged into one
« Reply #135 on: July 13, 2015, 10:19:55 AM »
Folks, I'm getting gunshy about SpeedWeek -- and the investment in making t-shirts for Salt Talks.  here's where I am -- and I invite your comments.

Salt Talks is the biggest fundraiser that the site has.  And the t-shirts are a huge part of that.  First of all in this rant -- I thank you for the $$ support you've already sent, and I don't intend to leave you high and dry, gentlemen.

But with the course so iffy -- I'm thinking that maybe making the shirts isn't the best thing.  We've got to order them and make 'em -- and that stuff takes time.  And if we make 'em and there's no event -- well, yes, we could ship the shirts, but the cost of doing so erodes the income that the site needs.  So I'm open to suggestions on what the heck to do today.

We've got the art (photos, etc) in hand.  We know how many to order.  We can do all of that -- but as the time to do it all and have the shirts in the trailer when we leave -- and for us, with a long trip and being there early to set up toilets -- erodes -- we get into more and more of a time bind.

So I'm holding on, getting things about ready to pull the trigger fast - but ain't gonna do anything for another day. Maybe two days.

If you've got suggestions please put 'em here and let's see if something great comes to mind.  Thanks.

Jon a/k/a SSS
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
    • Vance and Forstall Racing
« Reply #136 on: July 13, 2015, 10:26:40 AM »
Totally your call, we sure dont want you to lose any money!
WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE 213.470
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Engine by Knecum, Tuned by Johnny Cheese.
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
« Reply #137 on: July 13, 2015, 10:37:27 AM »
BE REALISTIC.............

in the last years the salt wasn't thicker than now....

the most people maybe haven't seen the thin salt....but, out there, where I make my picture with the parachute behind the racer...at 5 1/2 - or maybe 6 1/2 mile down the course....for the last ten years it was so....but who is coming down to this places, except me with my camera.....the teams which picking up the racer has no time to view the salt, also they are on the return road....

what we have now at the salt is the same as we had last year during the Test n Tune meet....the salt and the earth are still mixed to a brown/white something....but we run at the salt last year....it is very clear to see on the picture which I done at the Danny Thompson photo shooting...

this time there was just too much rain over the spring time which stays at first, too long on the lake and second it washed more earth from the mountains on the lake bed....once the earth is back under the salt surface it will be the same as we had in the last year

what we need is time that the salt got a chance to came back on the top.....that's all...and some patience....

the Speedweek last year was rained out...but there was a WoS....or not....

1999 the WoS was cancelled....due to rain....the lake was complete deep covered with water...a couple days later we had the World Finals.....

THAT'S RACING on the salt.....

Hope that the SCTA keeps a clear mind and view the salt in the right way...they know how.....

so wait and see.....
« Last Edit: July 13, 2015, 10:49:00 AM by PorkPie »
Pork Pie

Photoartist & Historian & 200 MPH Club Member (I/GL 202.8 mph in the orig. Bockscar #1000)

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #138 on: July 13, 2015, 10:57:21 AM »
hey -- thanks for all of your responses.  That is -- I've not only seem what Fred said here, but I've got a handful of PMs and emails already asking about if I'll make some for those that want 'em for sure.  And heck, yes, I'll do that.  Watch this space for developments, but I'm starting a list right now of those of you that want 'em anyway. 

If you're one of them -- let me know how many and what size you'll want.  And I'll also make some in special sizes if that's your pleasure - like the request I've already received for a 5XL, and even for a ladies' size shirt.

Thanks, folks.  We''ll get this figured out yet.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline typo41

• Huntimer Photography
« Reply #139 on: July 13, 2015, 11:25:31 AM »
Slim,

I feel your stress also, I sent the calendar to the printer last week, before the rains. I did drop the run amount as it seems I have a few left over from last year.

If you are like me, I am not here to make a living with the calendar, but would like to be able to pay the costs on it. As I have mentioned, I do the calendar for the racers. But I can lose money only so many years in a row.

It not just you and me, ERC fuels took a hit and I am sure the food people had some left-overs.

We will have the official word Friday night at the Board meeting.
Tony Huntimer
Huntimer Photography

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #140 on: July 13, 2015, 01:07:03 PM »
   Not to be a alarmist, I just want to say:
 TO EVERYONE AFFECTED:  Get off your ass and donate all you can afford to SAVE THE SALT AND DO IT RIGHT NOW!!!!!
  We have no other choice than to SUE the BLM and it cannot wait any longer.  Unless We can force them to haul the piles of processed salt back across I-80 and shut down the Potash plant, Land Speed Racing may be over on the Salt Flats now or in the near future.  That means that rich or poor, you will never again see a run over 300mph in your life, and every one of our Race Cars will be worth scrap value (especially when El Mirage is so iffy and also at the mercy of the BLM).
  The bottom line is the Politicians could give a Rat's Pattooty about the Salt Flat's.  They are not going to help Us in any way.
  If we cannot take this to Federal Court NOW, you better find a new "hobby".
                                                                                                        Bob Drury :dhorse: :dhorse: :dhorse:
Bob Drury

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #141 on: July 13, 2015, 01:25:31 PM »
As one of the old timers (since 1953) I have seen many conditions on the salt. Mother nature has control but things change. SCTA/BNI will do everything they can to put on the SW event, it may mean changing the direction of the courses to angle to the right and across the area 3 & 4 are at. They may also have 2 courses one long and one short. Lets give them a chance and see what they can come up with. Weall want to run
and hope the remainder of the year some of the events will happen. :cheers:
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #142 on: July 13, 2015, 02:43:12 PM »
 :cheers:
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Richard 2

• 2 Richards Racing
219.648 mph F/BFMR 2010 Record
4 cylinder Esslinger
Could of had a V8

Offline jh333

« Reply #144 on: July 13, 2015, 04:25:11 PM »
Well if we do not have the long course and only have one or two short courses I think we would now be a Motorcycle meet, also If you open with a short course only and 80% of the car's don't show you still have a meet and the Hotels most likely will not refund any money.

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #145 on: July 13, 2015, 05:58:14 PM »
jh333... I've been coming to Bonneville since 1975. With the exception of 4 years have been a short course car not M/C ...CAR both a roaster and coupe. ( my son entered the 200 Mph club in 3 miles) If it's possible for the association to have only a 1 or 2 short courses so be it. I would much rather see possible meet than no meet at all just because long course cars could not drive/safely. The last thing needed is a bunch of shorter wheelbase roadsters, coupes, and sports cars spinning out possibly injuring them selves or others. This goes for M/C 's also....

I would not be surprised to see between 2-300 short course entrants.  The association has to what's safe and best for as many as possible. It would not take as many "volunteers" and be fun for many entrants.....
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #146 on: July 13, 2015, 06:53:37 PM »
Well if we do not have the long course and only have one or two short courses I think we would now be a Motorcycle meet, also If you open with a short course only and 80% of the car's don't show you still have a meet and the Hotels most likely will not refund any money.

The hotels are the hotels, and we did catch a break with them last year, but as to it being a "motorcycle event", last year at WOS, many of the cars on the long course only ran to the 3, and plenty of records were set on the short course.  Records were fairly evenly split between cars and bikes.

It's likely we'd not see many 300 mph passes, and the extra traffic on fewer courses could prove problematic, but 3 miles is still longer than anywhere else you can run flat out.
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline joea

« Reply #147 on: July 13, 2015, 06:58:13 PM »
All this time I shoulda been running on the short course...with the bike ...I apologize for taking up long course space ...

ps someone let all those dudes that were entered for the test and tune...that they prolly wont get much out of a short course only meet in Aug

Oh and ...."the sky is falling"......

Offline jww36

« Reply #148 on: July 13, 2015, 07:11:17 PM »
If you google "Bonneville Salt Flats",  Wikipedia(I think this is how it is spelled), this is a quote from the BLM regarding the salt flats:

"The Bureau of Land Management (BLM) has undertaken numerous studies of the salt crust thickness within the Bonneville Salt Flats and ultimately concluded in a 2006 study that there was virtually no difference in the salt crust thickness from 1988 to 2003. Specifically, the BLM concluded “despite brine withdrawal for mineral production, neither short nor long-term measurable changes in salt crust thickness could be documented.” Analysis of Recent and Historical Salt-Crust Thickness Measurements and Assessment of their Relationship to the Salt Laydown Project, Bonneville Salt Flats, Toole County, Utah, W.W. White III & Moises Terrazas (2006), at 29. The BLM further concluded that earlier salt crust measurement studies showing salt crust deterioration were seriously flawed. Id. at 28."

It further states, "Despite this, since 1998, the owners of the Wendover potash facility have worked diligently in conjunction with the BLM to undertake the Salt Laydown Project under which solid salt from ponds located south of highway I-80 is dissolved and pumped on to the Bonneville Salt Flats north of I-80. During the following summer months, heat from the sun evaporates the water and the precipitated salt becomes part of the race track surface. Since the onset of this project, more than 10.7 million tons of salt have been pumped on to the Bonneville Salt Flats. The Salt Laydown Project is now a required element of the facility’s operating plan."

I think this statement is where an injunction order could be obtained to prove this statement is in fact false.
I'll say another thing - If this was a stand of red wood trees, once gone could never be replaced, do you thing the BLM could get by with allowing someone to cut them down for profit?
John Weatherwax

Offline BHR301

« Reply #149 on: July 13, 2015, 07:53:57 PM »
The BLM is sure trying to blow smoke up everybody's backside.
Sure seems like the only thing the BLM wants to do is collect their paycheck and do as little as possible to protect the country their paid to protect.

Bill
« Last Edit: July 13, 2015, 07:58:07 PM by BHR301 »