Author Topic: Saving the Salt  (Read 548069 times)

Offline trimmers

• Jeff in Boise
Re: Poor Salt Conditions - all topics merged into one
« Reply #1215 on: September 05, 2016, 06:40:26 AM »
AND, unfortunately, that is EXACTLY what it took to get the BLM to STOP allowing the logging of "old growth redwoods".    .

Agree.   But although I believe BLM may have a small forested area or two in Ory-Gunn, they're mostly limited to sagebrush.  I believe the situation involving old growth redwoods involved the US Forest Service, rather than the BLM. 
------------- 1 of just 3 in all 3  -------------
USFRA 130 MPH Club 09/18/2008 136.757
USFRA 150 MPH Club 09/17/2009 152.162
Bonneville 200 MPH Club 09/15/2019 218.600
Best Run: 253.080 MPH 09/14/2019 #6556

Offline salt27

« Reply #1216 on: September 05, 2016, 11:37:30 AM »
BLM has substantial timber holdings in Oregon but it is mostly Douglas fir in the West and Pine in the East.

And they do also "manage" a heck of a lot of sagebrush in the East.

I'm guessing that the Redwoods were mostly California and maybe a little bit Oregon.

Don
« Last Edit: September 05, 2016, 11:46:51 AM by salt27 »

Offline jww36

« Reply #1217 on: September 05, 2016, 11:49:32 AM »
My earlier blog was not really about "logging redwood forests". It was to make a point regarding our situation. If the BLM, or any government agency was telling the taxpayers, "Our investigation says by logging these trees we are not DEPLETING the forest", do you think they would be allowed to continue logging?

Here is the point I was trying to make. If the BLM openly ADMITTED that mining of the salt flats was in fact depleting the salt, that would be one thing. But when they CLAIM that the mining is NOT depleting the salt and they have their own bogus reports to back that, this seems to me all of us including LSR's, local cities, local counties, the state of Utah, etc. needs an independent third party to do a thorough investigation on salt depletion. In the mean time, because their is a question as to bias BLM reports, put all mining on hold by way of restraining order. There is more then enough evidence to support salt depletion over the years.

Offline salt27

« Reply #1218 on: September 05, 2016, 12:23:36 PM »
Jww,
     I was responding to the "BLM may have a small forested area or two they're mostly limited to sagebrush" comment made by trimmers.

The truth is BLM "oversees" 15.7 million acres in Oregon, about 1/4 of the state!

2 million acres of Doug Fir just on the West side.

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #1219 on: September 05, 2016, 12:26:25 PM »
Yes, we all know the story but unfortunately this is the real world & the money train will run us over & spit out the chunks.
  Sid.

Offline jww36

« Reply #1220 on: September 05, 2016, 12:31:11 PM »
Salt27
I wasn't even aware the BLM controlled forested areas. My point was strictly about our natural resources being taken away from us by a government agency that claims it is OK to do just that.

Offline salt27

« Reply #1221 on: September 05, 2016, 01:17:42 PM »
Salt27
I wasn't even aware the BLM controlled forested areas. My point was strictly about our natural resources being taken away from us by a government agency that claims it is OK to do just that.

Got it.

Don

Offline Vinsky

John

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #1223 on: October 05, 2016, 09:31:35 PM »
Documentary from the Utah Alliance-Save The Salt Meeting.
  Sid.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ylj5LmX4pRw

Offline gas pumper

« Reply #1224 on: October 06, 2016, 08:11:05 AM »
Sid, thanks for the video and for all you do for us. The salt portion is very interesting, even tho we've all seen and heard it all before and have been there to see it, it really is great to see this program.  And the historic airfield tour was interesting to see parts of the base not seen before!!  Thanks again.
Frank
Crew for 608 AA/GL.
Crew for The Flying Seven, 7207, XO/GCT, V4/FCT Loring.

gkabbt

« Reply #1225 on: October 06, 2016, 11:01:32 AM »

Sid, ditto what Frank said.....it REALLY is appreciated.
I was just at the USAF Museum in Dayton this past Monday. There is a good display by the Bockscar that talks about the importance of Wendover Field during WWII.

http://www.nationalmuseum.af.mil/Visit/MuseumExhibits/FactSheets/Display/tabid/509/Article/196639/the-aircraft.aspx

Gregg
« Last Edit: October 06, 2016, 11:05:26 AM by gkabbt »

Offline maj

« Reply #1226 on: October 06, 2016, 03:58:59 PM »
Thanks for bring up the Wendover history stuff, reminded me of a walk through the interpretive centre this yr where this caught my eye

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1227 on: October 06, 2016, 04:50:45 PM »
Hurry up and wait!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well we are once again inside that proverbial can that has been kicked across the diminishing salt flats.

We have no legislation, we are to wait on the next Congress!! Apparently OUR side has been asked been asked to come up with an estimate of how much it will cost!!!   Sid's "MONEY TRAIN"

I encourage us to get our GRASS ROOTS ORGANIZED!!  We are going to have to be the driving force behind this---We individual racers in our individual states with our elected officials ---we have to get engaged and stay engaged. 

You will continue to hear from me!!
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

gkabbt

« Reply #1228 on: October 06, 2016, 05:12:57 PM »

I remember someone from the BLM saying we were racing so everything must be OK!
BLM allowed the rape of the salt so this statement is flat out CYA! Just give us more $$$$$ for studies.

I also remember the good University Dr. saying, in a posted video, salt CRAP instead of crust.
Essentially, I don't give a shit. Just give us more $$$$$ for studies.

So, as you pointed out, the can was kicked down the salt again and more salt will be leaving again this winter.

Something FINALLY needs to be done and if it is a grassroots thing, I'm in!

Gregg

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1229 on: October 07, 2016, 11:37:16 AM »
Gregg thanks,

WARNING!!! this is not PC speech  YMMV

We all need to learn how to be grass roots operatives:

Here  is what I did last night:  I went online to the US House of Representatives-- Natural Resources Committee to get all of the Utah Representatives names---then went to the FEC (Federal Election Commission) to look at the last 2 years contributions to the two UT. members---to see if there were any smoking guns---what I did learn there was a huge percentage of the contributions with VA addresses---lobbyist doing what they do, that why we are using SEMAs Lobbyist  so we will not have to start from scratch.

This is not going to be easy---we are going to need a few people who will get out of there comfort zones learn some new skills and work, work, work to try to get our fellow racers to call their Reps and Senators, to write the letters to call the newspapers and magazines..  There will be feathers ruffled, friendships lost but WHEN we prevail---our Grands and Great-Grands will haave SALT TO RACE ON!!!----PLEASE JOIN

I want to thank all who volunteer---all who have spent the untold hours so far--for SAVE THE SALT and the Utah ALLIANCE--

We need to organize, organize and work, work, getting to know our Rep. and Sen.---Wild Accquazations, sprouting off at the mouth, do nothing but stroke our selves and possibly hurt the CAUSE--

Restoring the SALT to PRESERVE OUR HERITAGE--OUR NATIONAL TREASURE!!
« Last Edit: October 07, 2016, 12:41:24 PM by SPARKY »
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!