Author Topic: Saving the Salt  (Read 548093 times)

Offline crawford

Re: Poor Salt Conditions - all topics merged into one
« Reply #1170 on: July 08, 2016, 03:35:40 PM »
ahh, you guys do know that I have no skin in the game, so if you race, you race, if you don't, you don't and I work with ALL the groups because thats just what I do. So I just report the conditions from my stand point, nothing more. But I have seen a shift in the way different groups are veiwing the racing conditions on the salt flats, I don't really know why, but hey, Im not a racer!
Current Mayor of Wendover Utah, and life long race fan. owns Wendover Carquest auto-parts.

Offline Dakin Engineering

« Reply #1171 on: July 23, 2016, 04:14:35 PM »
About that conference call..
How'd it go?
Good? Bad? Did it happen?

Sam
Turbo Sportsters since '97

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1172 on: August 10, 2016, 04:47:10 PM »
Stewart G. SEMA Lobbyist, Will be on the Salt hanging around the 200 Club tent Sat. and Sun.
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

« Reply #1173 on: August 12, 2016, 04:46:55 PM »
I hope everyone takes a minute to stop by and talk to Stewart.

Sam

« Reply #1174 on: August 21, 2016, 01:46:30 PM »
Did any Racers get to talk to the legislators on Thursday?

Sam

Offline jl222

« Reply #1175 on: August 21, 2016, 02:38:01 PM »
Did any Racers get to talk to the legislators on Thursday?

Sam

Was anyone there? We left Wednesday and the pits were pretty empty.

I hope it was the legislators only time they could make it? They should have been advised that very few racers would be
      there. Who was advising them?

A big negative to see only a few racers on Thur. compared to Sat or Sun

JL222

Offline joea

« Reply #1176 on: August 21, 2016, 02:48:37 PM »
jl....BUT consider this...

it was reported that staff from the office in DC had initially said something to the
effect of.....""why do you need to go...they are racing on it...the salt must be ok...""

so showing a somewhat  depleted event ...with folks throwing in the towel d/t poor conditions...
may communicate a more accurate statement regarding "reality" on salt status...

Im quite CONFIDENT that Land Speed Louise (who was with the DC person...) was VERY effective
in communicating the situation...!!!

and im still hopeful that the accident report from Sam Wheeler demise incident is released soon....and
the salt conditions IMPACT on his situation....

..forward adhesion is severely compromised....and the loss of lateral adhesion is REALLY apparent now
than ever before....and is I think more noticeable on two wheelers...

Offline will6er

« Reply #1177 on: August 21, 2016, 03:10:44 PM »
This surface was probably the best outcome for us.
We were able to race, but on a marginal course.

If we'd had a good surface, all our talk and concerns would have been marginalized and possibly rejected.
It was pretty deserted earlier in the week than usual.

Will Willis

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1178 on: August 21, 2016, 07:50:59 PM »
We left after lisc. to AA  we knew we would never be able to get close to the record  77 had a great 1/4 speed ran 10 under why beat up my motor and car on a track that would not let us get there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

velocity

« Reply #1179 on: August 28, 2016, 12:13:13 AM »
Racers -

On Tuesday I hosted Kathleen Clarke, Director of Public Lands Policy who works for Gov Herbert. She and her aide spent 9 hours on the salt with me. During the time they were shown the entire layout and operation of land speed racing, introduced to key SCTA personnel, witnessed action from the starting line, high-speed shut-down area, timing tower, inspection lines, impound and a great deal of time talking with racers in their pits. Lee Kennedy took us on a tour of the active courses and explained the safety procedures.

When she left Larry Volk took us out to a spot far beyond the rookie course where GREAT salt was in place, looking like it did in the 1960s; he proceeded to wail on it with a pick ax demonstrating how hard the salt SHOULD be to safely accommodate speed machines. Overall the day made an indelible, positive impression and she was mighty impressed with the professional, well planned and execution of the event. She promised to give the Governor, Dept of Natural Resources, Parks and Recreation, etc. a full report on the day.

I asked that since she was the former BLM director in DC, would she please give it a "deep think" about what the LSR community ought to be doing to get the restoration plan put into place.

On Thursday, 4 members of our US Congressional staff were on site. They stayed 4 hours and were given the same hospitality as Clarke but with a big group of STS and Utah Alliance folks doing the tour. All left saying their impression of the situation had changed dramatically and that the tour was of immense observational help. More on this when the bill is introduced in the HOR. However, before the day was done, the buzz had reached the ears of another congressman who CALLED US to say we can count on his full support for the new legislation.
Understand this was NOT a staffer, but the elected official himself.

We are making enormous progress.

NOTE: It was Jenna Whitlock, Acting BLM State Director who said, "Why are you going out there? They are racing, everything is fine."  Whitlock was responding to a personal invite Clarke made to join us for the in-depth salt tour. Other the BLM law enforcement, no other staffers stayed on-site as far as I know. Dr. Brenda Bowen and her post-doctoral student helping with the study attended and both were utterly entertained by the unfolding speed deeds as evidence by their instantaneous, beaming smiles when I asked them what they thought. . . .

Also, it was Emma Penrod at the SLC Tribune that called me asking for a reply to Kevin Oliver's comment to her that "everything was great, we and the racers are friends, the salt is back" or something like that. I replied that Oliver was delusional and the best characterization I could provide was that the salt was like patient that had awoken in the ICU after two comatose years and that plenty of rehab and healing was still on the chart before the patient was cleared for heavy-lifting duty -- aka  supporting hundreds of high speed machines safely. For that I got labeled, "outspoken critic of the BLM" in the article. I think it would make a great bumper sticker, or T-shirt.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2016, 05:39:40 PM by velocity »

Offline salt27

« Reply #1180 on: August 28, 2016, 12:25:11 AM »
LSL, Thank you for your effort and the update.

Don

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #1181 on: August 28, 2016, 07:30:35 AM »
So shall I get started making up bumper stickers or t-shirts?? :-D
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline joea

« Reply #1182 on: August 28, 2016, 10:23:52 AM »
WOW...simply WOW...

the LOCAL BLM entities NOT wanting to participate as if either
that completely ignorant of the situation...or not wanting those above
them to KNOW the truth....of the mismanagement...

gkabbt

« Reply #1183 on: August 28, 2016, 11:00:32 AM »

Agree 100% with what Joe said. Absolutely incredible!

On a side note, how many of you folks closely noticed the BLM guy that spoke at the drivers meet Saturday morning. Holding the microphone, his hand was shaking so bad that I guess he thought we were ALL going to beat the ever loving Subaru out of him. Funny to me!  :-D  :-D  :-D

Gregg

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #1184 on: August 28, 2016, 11:16:25 AM »

Agree 100% with what Joe said. Absolutely incredible!

On a side note, how many of you folks closely noticed the BLM guy that spoke at the drivers meet Saturday morning. Holding the microphone, his hand was shaking so bad that I guess he thought we were ALL going to beat the ever loving Subaru out of him. Funny to me!  :-D  :-D  :-D

Gregg

LOL. Yeah, looked like he was $hitting his pants up there.  :-D
  Sid.