Author Topic: Saving the Salt  (Read 548137 times)

Offline entropy

Re: Poor Salt Conditions - all topics merged into one
« Reply #1125 on: May 25, 2016, 04:00:38 PM »
If 2016 doesn't happen I will WANT to do rookie passes again :-D

Offline wheelrdealer

• D/CBGALT
    • WHEELRDEALER RACING
« Reply #1126 on: May 25, 2016, 05:09:03 PM »
Dynoroom:

My memory failed me...again. That is good to know.

Thanks,
ECTA    Maxton D/CGALT  Record Holder 167.522
ECTA    Maxton D/CBGALT Record Holder 166.715

WWW.WHEELRDEALER2100.COM

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #1127 on: May 25, 2016, 07:29:44 PM »
  Dyno, not having a rule book handy, what is the procedure to bump ones license back up?
                                                                  Thanx, Bob

ORB, it is easy, fix your motor and go fast... tell the starter you are on a license upgrade pass
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #1128 on: May 26, 2016, 06:52:38 AM »
This will give whoever, UNIMPEDED access to continue to "extract" the resource, without significant financial return to the taxpayer.  

Mark - I gave this one some thought, and I'm becoming a bit less "pollyannish" - in short, my view is changing.

We won't be able to get away from the study - there's too much at stake to make a decision based on what can still be argued on a political level as "non-conclusive" evidence.  Imagine the poor Senator of Congressman going before the budget committee with a proposal to move salt to the salt flats . . . the ridicule would be overwhelming.

But in a study of this magnitude - and we will be stuck with the conclusions of this study for years to come, regardless of the results - in order to gain a solid, credible baseline of evidence, as with a patient in an emergency room, or a problematic engine on a dyno, the affected area needs to first be stabilized.

While the Alliance has in its sites the involvement of the mining company - and let's face it, they're the only ones with anything close to the capacity to return salt from south of I-80 to the racing surface - in order to stabilize the environment, I've come to the conclusion that a moratorium on all mining in the area - and that would include any additional lay-down - is necessary in order to properly validate any conclusions this study is attempting to reach.

There are clearly too many variables occurring with respect to water sources, use of current infrastructure, mineral content, weather and engineered aspects of the environment.  That experts in the field can't really determine what's happening further indicates that any mathematical controls used to validate or produce any conclusions will be suspect, regardless of what they indicate.

If this study is to have any credibility, the pumps will have to be silenced during the period of the study.  

Again, same tactic by the BLM, different decade and venue.

Why aren't the previous 100 years of "historical" data of the salt surface conditions valid as a "baseline", or at least part of the baseline?    I understand that it may be less "scientific" than even I would like, BUT, it is incontrovertible that the salt is being "diminished".    That is what mining (extraction) IS.

Back at the ranch in Wyoming, a "couple of years of study", expanded into a decade plus.    Oh yeah, and then there was the decade and a half of "discussion" about what to do.     In the finish, after a delay of ~ 25 years, what was originally suggested (based on "common sense", not science), was what was done for remediation, and it worked great, AND cost effectively.    Do you think it took 25 years for the scientists to get their "study" to agree with the preservationists?

I get it that the mining company needs to be involved for there to be ANY chance of success.    However, my opinion is that the flats have gone past the point where "preservation" may be effective, and it is the time for "restoration" methods to be used.   Whatever that might be.

I do like your patient in an emergency room comparison though . . . . .    :-)    but I seriously doubt if the "patient" can be stabilized while the "treatment professionals" continue to extract a "blood donation" from the open wounds . . . . .

Maybe HB2 can chime in about the Trout Wars, if it doesn't raise his blood pressure to dangerous levels.
Science, NOT Magic . . . .

I used to be a people person.  But people changed that relationship.

"There is nothing permanent except change."    Heraclitus

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."     Albert Einstein

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #1129 on: May 26, 2016, 11:41:55 AM »

I do like your patient in an emergency room comparison though . . . . .    :-)   

I humbly bow to the Main Brain of Koozebane . . . 
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Robin UK

« Reply #1130 on: May 26, 2016, 12:25:26 PM »
BLM action planning process  :-D

Robin

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1131 on: May 26, 2016, 05:00:35 PM »
YEPERS  just about nails it!!!!!!
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Ron Gibson

« Reply #1132 on: May 26, 2016, 06:18:14 PM »
The bottom one should continue down to a box that says "NO RESULTS"

Ron
Life is an abrasive. Whether you get ground away or polished to a shine depends on what you are made of.

Offline Harold Bettes

• Firebase High Country
« Reply #1133 on: May 26, 2016, 08:51:16 PM »
Gentle People of the salty persuasion, :-D

I am breathing slowly and indeed am controlling my blood pressure..... :-o

The following comments concerning the ongoing salt depletion are for your collective perusal :-P

Bureaucracies begat more bureaucratic malfeasance, and are self-perpetuating, not timely solutions.

The BLM stands for the Bureau of Land Mis-managment.

The Game and Fish groups are similarly designed, regardless of many well meaning individuals......Bureaucracies cause problems from inaction not solutions.....

The same mindset that is so very confused over which restroom to use is the same mindset that fits so well into ANY city, county, state, or federal bureaucracy.

The same stuff comes from the EPA as well.

IF one looks at the situation at the salt flats logically, it is We The American People that own the lands that BLM is claiming as their own. The best solution is to get with your own congressional representative and senator (small case on purpose) and make the case about the salt and the BLM and Intrepid thefts. :roll:

Do not leave your individual responsibilities to express your views to anyone that states such drivel as "you don't understand how complex these issues are...."  :-(

Mathematically, there is more of us than there is of them, but the number of folks that actually want to engage the process to an effective solution are not so great.  :dhorse:

Regards to All,
HB2 :-)
If it was easy, everybody would be doing it.

As iron sharpens iron, one man sharpens another.

Offline Ken Yooper

• New folks
« Reply #1134 on: May 26, 2016, 09:11:25 PM »
Pics taken  5-25-16 - -   (date corrected) 

« Last Edit: May 26, 2016, 10:22:48 PM by Ken Yooper »
If it's worth doing, it's worth doing right.  If it's not worth doing right then it's probably not worth doing at all.  (Andy Granatelli in Gasoline Alley 1964)

velocity

« Reply #1135 on: May 27, 2016, 07:21:25 PM »
While no one will argue that the BLM has mismanaged the flats for decades, it is incorrect and unfair to label the mining company as thieves. Kaiser, Reilly and now Intrepid all operate under legally negotiated and approved contracts. Approved, of course, by the BLM.

It helps to stay focused on the perpetrators of the salt decline:

Our land managers have done a shoddy job of sticking up for the Bonneville Salt Flats.

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #1136 on: May 27, 2016, 09:07:30 PM »
"While no one will argue that the BLM has mismanaged the flats . . ."

I know what she meant.  All will argue that the BLM has mismanaged the flats.  It's hard for me to say, but she hit the nail on the head (although at an angle) with the above complete post.

Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Harold Bettes

• Firebase High Country
« Reply #1137 on: May 27, 2016, 11:14:44 PM »
Theft by definition.....look it up so I don't have to type the description.
Intrepid and their un-indicted co-conspirator, the BLM, have taken salt and NOT returned it to the place from which it came. Yep they have a contract and they should follow it. Every stinking word, including replacement of the SALT. :-D That would be fair at this point.

Consider the legal definition of a pedophile......"Yeah, but he is a nice guy....".and then further rationalize that by "well the guy didn't really know the victims were only 9 or 10 years old....." is a poor defense indeed. Call it what you want to but it doesn't change the facts. A pig by any other name is still a porcine critter. :roll:

Whitewashing the issues don't provide viable solutions, but perhaps lots of opportunities for schmoozing with those with plenty of whitewashing buckets and rationalization that goes with the stuff. :x

Trying to rationalize the disappearance of the salt and then further rationalize the non-redepositing of same is just plain old bogus! :dhorse:

If they (quite definable in this case) have removed SALT and not returned it......What would you call it? Poor planning? Poor oversight? Or what? :?

Yeah, I don't do the politically correct gig, but I can recognize and smell the proverbial furry critter we might agree on calling a rat.

Regards,

Offline Steve Cole

« Reply #1138 on: May 28, 2016, 08:58:37 PM »
The best part is them saying we need a study to know if it's OK to return the salt they took as it may cause "environmental damage". What the h3ll do they feel removing the SALT in the first place has done?

Offline Harold Bettes

• Firebase High Country
« Reply #1139 on: May 30, 2016, 03:41:34 PM »
More stuff about some of the corrupt government entities - "Frustrated by the slow pace of justice and a seeming lack of acknowledgement of the conditions that resulted in their daughter’s untimely death in San Francisco last summer, the family of Kate Steinle have filed a lawsuit against local and federal officials they deem responsible....." Both ICE and the BLM have been named in the lawsuit. The BLM because the pistol used was one that was taken or lost from a BLM agent. :-o

When push comes to shove, that kind of effort is all that these corrupt entities will understand. Not studies, not meetings, not sound bites, but overt pressure from the populace or groups that have been harmed by their lawless acts. :-D

Gonna, wanna, shoulda will not get the job done, friends. The salt flats belongs to each and every person that is a US Citizen and as such it is up to each of us to help to get the restoration process started.  :x

While remembering on this and every day the sacrifices made by our military and others over the years to defend our way of life.... :cheers:

Best Regards to All,