Author Topic: to spoil or not to spoil  (Read 3125 times)

Offline roadsterswap

to spoil or not to spoil
« on: July 24, 2006, 10:05:47 PM »
According to the rule book I can run a rear spoiler on my coupe. Does anybody have photos of one on their coupe? Any opinions as to the pros and cons of using one on the coupe. I was thinking of making one up that could be installed easily and try it out at the salt.  It was to be only as wide as the deck lid and i could mount it on the inner rail of the deck lid with some machine bolts. Any advice or ideas or photos would be appreciated. I only have 2.5 weeks left!  And what are Gurney strips?

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
Re: to spoil or not to spoil
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2006, 01:14:50 PM »
Quote from: roadsterswap
 And what are Gurney strips?

"Gurney strips" are different size nylon or similar strips of different heights that can be slid in & out of the trailing edge of a rear wing that is set at a fixed position. Most of them are custom made & vary in thickness in 1/32nd increments. This allows the least amount of drag or more downforce if needed.  Dan Gurney's AAR guys came up with the trick on their Indy cars in the late 60"s.
Keith Turk did a wind tunnel test on his Modified Sports car & found out some things. Maybe he'll chime in.
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
to spoil or not to spoil
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2006, 09:01:37 PM »
I found one picture in my pictures of a spoiler on a coupe.  I was going to post it here, but then got carried away and added another page on my site about spoilers.

Go to the following page and then down to "Spoilers/Spill Plates and Skirts" and click on that for the picture and some other info.

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/bvilleother/bville%20other%20index.html

c ya, Sum

Offline roadsterswap

spoilers
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2006, 10:19:01 PM »
Thanks so much for the photos. Sometimes you walk buy and take little notice of an item on a car and then you have to make one from memory. It helps to have a visual.

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
Re: spoilers
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2006, 12:14:28 AM »
Quote from: roadsterswap
Thanks so much for the photos. Sometimes you walk buy and take little notice of an item on a car and then you have to make one from memory. It helps to have a visual.

Like I said on that page it looks like the spill plates on that car could have been 2 inches longer.  If you make them, may as well make them as big as the rules allow.  The other thing is those could be illegal if they go forward of the rear axle centerline.

I was impressed with the body on that car and is why I took the picture.  That was from 2001 and I can't remember if the rest of the car was in the pits or not.  Maybe someone who is familiar with it could give some more details.

c ya, Sum

Offline roadsterswap

Pictures of mock up of rear spoiler.
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2006, 01:20:29 AM »
I followed the rule book. Made it as large as they allowed. There will be some fine tuning. It will come off by bolting to the deck lid. I will also be able to pivot it up as needed. What do you think. Not very old school but i suspect It will help me go straight.

i cant seem to get the photo deal to work. can you send me your regular email and i will send you a photo?[/img][/url]