Author Topic: Hondas Traction Control  (Read 3033 times)

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
Hondas Traction Control
« on: July 23, 2006, 12:32:20 AM »
Does it matter if Honda used traction control to run 400 kph at Bonneville?
If not does it matter to the Bonneville 200 MPH club? I don't care if they did but...
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

dwarner

Hondas Traction Control
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2006, 02:46:40 AM »
Traction control does not factor into the picture. They ran an FIA record not BNI.

DW

Offline Malcolm UK

Hondas Traction Control
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2006, 09:17:13 AM »
The FIA do not worry by what means you get the power down, so long as the driver has some control over the vehicle throughout the two runs.

Dids the rear fin have control over its position during each run?

The car was a naturally aspirated V-10 which I understood, coming as it did from a vehicle manufacturer, would not be an eligible power unit in F1 from January '06.  Of course if it had been badged Torro Rosso then it would be a current F1 car specification - and may have gone just as fast.  So the F1 record rules seem to allow any age of car.
Malcolm UK, Derby, England.

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
Thanks for the update
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2006, 03:45:36 PM »
PS - I owe you an apology. I gave you a short answer to your question about the Honda F1 car using TC. The truth is I didn't ask but, I think it was turned off from the sound of driver's pedaling.

DW

Dan I brought this over from the other thread, hope that's OK?
I find it interesting that if Honda didn't use traction control (I didn't care if they did or didn't) & that we (the SCTA) are worried about competitor's using it. I've always said I didn't think you wanted to slow down to go fast!   :)

Glad you like the new car & no apology needed   8)
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline tpotts

• New folks
traction control
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2006, 04:07:24 PM »
I remember reading that one of Hitlers streamliners (auto union or Mercedes) had some form of traction control.  In one of the circle track catalogers I saw a really cheap one.  It electronically measured slip and and for a Milli sec or so increased brake pressure on associated rear wheel.  My oh My how could that be fun???Next would be an anti spin control.
Be Good and You Will Be Lonesome: Mark Twain

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
Hondas Traction Control
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2006, 04:52:01 PM »
I remember reading that one of Hitlers streamliners (auto union or Mercedes) had some form of traction control.

???

Did they call the system "intelligent driver"????

I can't remember any other system Mercedes and Auto Union used :?
Pork Pie

Photoartist & Historian & 200 MPH Club Member (I/GL 202.8 mph in the orig. Bockscar #1000)

JohnR

Hondas Traction Control
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2006, 05:01:00 PM »
Throughout the 90's I worked at Honda on their racing traction control system. It didn't make the car go faster, but it would get to the terminal velocity quicker.