Author Topic: driving technique  (Read 6248 times)

Offline robin dripps

• New folks
driving technique
« on: July 20, 2006, 10:30:22 AM »
From what I can gather from reading posts here and what I saw last August, we should just assume that at some point our roadster will spin.  We, have tried to do everything to help prevent this but it is a roadster after all.  So, what I am trying now to understand are the techniques for driving on the salt that might help prevent this in the first place and then if I find myself in a spin to know how best to handle the situation.  This is probably a very amateur question, but then I guess I am an amateur and hope those of you with more experience can help.
Robin

Offline DallasV

driving technique
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2006, 02:36:49 PM »
Robin, We have had our roadster for over 25 years, made a hundred passes between 200 and 250, and never spun (knock, knock, knock). The things I can tell you about a roadster is if you try to put too much horsepower down at once it wants to swap ends, and if you run out of horsepower she'll start to hunt. Try to aim her about 1/4 mile ahead of yourself, and don't drive faster than you're guardian angel can fly. As far as a spin goes I've never spun but most the people I've talked to say the best thing to do if you spinning is just let go and let it happen, then try to un-pucker. I'm sure there are people on this board with better advice on a spin than me.
Good luck and good choice....Roadsters Rule.

Dallas
Records or parts, I didn't come all this way not to break something.

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
driving technique
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2006, 04:36:06 PM »
Quote from: DallasV
Robin, We have had our roadster for over 35 years, made a hundred passes between 200 and 250, and never spun (knock, knock, knock). The things I can tell you about a roadster is if you try to put too much horsepower down at once it wants to swap ends, and if you run out of horsepower she'll start to hunt. Try to aim her about 1/4 mile ahead of yourself, and don't drive faster than you're guardian angel can fly. As far as a spin goes I've never spun but most the people I've talked to say the best thing to do if you spinning is just let go and let it happen, then try to un-pucker. I'm sure there are people on this board with better advice on a spin than me.
Good luck and good choice....Roadsters Rule.

Dallas

Dallas that is quite a record :D , I hope you didn't just jinx yourself :cry: .

I'm interested, are you running an "open" rear-end or a "locked" rear-end?  

c ya, Sum

Offline DallasV

driving technique
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2006, 05:33:38 PM »
Sum, We run a locked 9" Ford, Summers Brothers axel, Mark Williams spool, with no suspension.
Records or parts, I didn't come all this way not to break something.

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
driving technique
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2006, 07:23:49 PM »
Quote from: DallasV
Sum, We run a locked 9" Ford, Summers Brothers axel, Mark Williams spool, with no suspension.

Now I'm really impressed with "no spins".  I would have thought in one of these cars an "open" rear might help to keep it straight if you spin a tire, since you would probably spin one and have three to keep you going straight, but would be harder to get it to hookup.

c ya, Sum

Offline KeithTurk

• Global Moderator
driving technique
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2006, 08:16:09 PM »
Freiburger mentioned this to me after his spin this year and I thought it was really sage advice...  

Put your hands flat on the steering wheel with your fingers extended to keep them out of the spokes if the wheel snaps one way or the other.

Dallas as usual gave you some really sound advice... Drive Much farther then you think you need to and don't react to the little stuff...
Keith Turk
 D Gas Modified Sports
 246.555 mph

Offline jimmy six

driving technique
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2006, 12:14:16 AM »
Dallas need to run on the dirt...and go through the ever presant soft spot at the lights :D .....I don't think the Bentley roadster was ever around either
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
You'll be ok
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2006, 01:22:28 AM »
Kugel's 265 roadster is another one that never went around. Ran over 250 mph. On the other hand his 262 modified roadster was a handful until they figured it out.
I think you will find most don't plan on spinning, "it happened before I knew what was going on" so not much planning is done.
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
driving technique
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2006, 09:32:20 PM »
Your best insurance in a spin is your parachute.  I suggest an electric release that can be actuated with your hands in the driving position.  If you have to move to grab a T handle or move a lever, it won't be out in time to save you.  You will feel it start, and probably never forget that feeling.  If in doubt, drop the laundry...
Mine worked great at 220, chute caught it before the last wheel left the ground and straightened me out.  Lakester, not roadster, but I don't think it makes a difference.
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Bob Drury

driving technique
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2006, 09:52:01 AM »
Stainless, I totaly disagree, and think you were lucky not to land on your head.  If you pull the chute and the car is already starting to spin (remember, a heavy car would be worst), you stand a good chance of wraping the chute around a axle and becoming a turtle.  If you do pull the chute, you better be at full power or you are going for a hell of a ride.
Bob Drury

Offline Tom Bryant

• http://www.bryantauto.com
driving technique
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2006, 04:08:35 PM »
At Bonneville, I have spun twice in a roadster and twice in the Pierson Coupe. I venture to say that all four times were because of stupidity!

The first time in the roadster, I had transmission trouble,was holding it in gear with my right hand and driving with my left. It got away from me. The second time it was skating around and I should have lifted, but didn't. With the coupe, the first time was on a wet course trying to qualify against a 205 record, hard on it w/nitrous working on the short course, the rear move to the right and I corrected...too much... and I just went along for the ride. The second time, shifting to neutral, I pulled it into reverse at 195 and got a couple of rotations. All of these could have bee en prevented with a bit more heads up driving. I would suggest that most of the spins are driver actuated.

My advice is to always be aware of the speed you are traveling and react accordingly. Driving fast is like being on ice...be careful when applying either brakes or steering.

As for parachutes...they can be a blessing or a curse. The second time I spun the roadster, my chute blossomed after the second rotation and ended the spin (I have five pictures of the spin that were given to me by Bob Mack). Another time, at the lakes with Grant Jones driving the roadster, the chute came out while the car was rotating and draped itself over the canopy. If it had caught air it could have been fatal. There were chute shrouds around the driver's neck. I found out in my car when it was getting too far out of control, when I reached for the chute, I also lifted a bit. The car straightened itself. Remember the throttle works both directions.

Tom, Redding CA   3216 D/FCC
I don't understand..."It won't work!"

Tom, Redding CA - #216 D/CC
 - LSR since 1955 - www.bryantauto.com

Offline Bob Drury

driving technique
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2006, 05:21:38 PM »
Stainless, after re-reading your post and mine, I got to thinking about it.  My opinion is that if you have a small chute with a short tag line, it might be safe to use in straightening the car under power, but if the chute fails to blossom quickly and a spin ensues, I think bad things could happen.  I personally think what Tom says is gospel.  I might add that I tell those who ask that I steer the car with the throttle, and not the steering wheel.
Bob Drury

Offline 836dstr

Re: driving technique
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2006, 07:51:06 PM »
Robbin,

I don't know if you're still watching this thread. This was my first time running my Street Roadster at Bonneville. On Wednesday afternoon I was midway between the 2&1/4 and 3 mile at probably 165 MPH when the car was hit by a gust of wind from the South. I corrected slightly turning to the right. Slightly was way too much. The spin actually seemed to happen very slowly (everything seemed to be in slow motion. The car only rotated 270 degrees (while sliding down the course) and after scrubbibg of some speed was able to back off the course perpendicular. It's not a lot of fun going backward fast looking for the cones on the return road.

Our cars are similar in wheelbase and power. I only have about 400 pounds of balast but it's right behind and beside the drivers seat on top of the floorpan. Next year I plan on adding somemore but will try to get it lower. I have not had the car on scales, but will do it during the off season. I think the reason for the slow spin was not having a disproportionate amout of weight at either end. There have been some very good posts regarding ballast and weight distribution.

During my spin I never considered pulling the chute, but with relatively short lanyards and a small chute it probably would have worked OK. I had both hands on the butterfly wheel and didn't want to let go. I like the idea mentioned above about an electric release mechanisim on the wheel.

I talked to several Roadster drivers about my "adventure" and got a common response; hold the wheel straight and back off  a little on the throttle until the car straightens out then ease back into the throttle. They also said it was easier said that done.

It was interesting, but I don't want to do it again!

Tom

Offline 836dstr

« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2006, 07:57:15 PM »
Jon,

Shouldn't this topic be under Bonneville General Chat, rather than "LSR Items Wanted" ??

I was involved in a Computer System upgrade at work and one of the big problems was data conversion.

Minor issue here. New Board is great!

Tom

landracing

« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2006, 01:56:10 AM »
Done.

Jon