Author Topic: The 200 Club  (Read 28676 times)

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
the 200 club
« Reply #75 on: July 29, 2006, 01:07:57 PM »
Jon
SCTA has a associate member program as well, It's just some clubs like the Gear Grinders put a lot of effort into it's membership.
Glen :D
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

bak189

The 200 Club
« Reply #76 on: July 29, 2006, 01:09:24 PM »
Hey, people.....what about the all M/C SCTA club??????????????????

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
the 200 club
« Reply #77 on: July 29, 2006, 01:12:55 PM »
It's been suggested in the past and never went anywhere. Seems as they are spread out all over the place. It's difficult to make meetings and keep up with the association. There are ways to approach SCTA about forming a new club. This information is availble throught their office. :)
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

JohnR

The 200 Club
« Reply #78 on: July 29, 2006, 01:13:26 PM »
Quote from: bak189
I know this thought has been posted in the past.....but how about a all motorcycle SCTA Club...there are enough bikes running at El Mirage and Bonneville to make for a fairly large club....would this club be excepted by SCTA/BNI????
How about it Dan and Glen...what do you think?????????
This would be one way, to have some control of the M/C Rules....at least I would think so.....just a thought....and who knows I might even join in.

Taken from the current SCTA Bylaws regarding new club membership:

Code: [Select]

B. Requirements for Club Membership:

1. Membership shall be limited to those clubs meeting the following requirements:

a. Submission of an application
      b. A sincere interest in the stated objective of the Association
      c. Payment of the current initiation fees and dues
      d. Proper maintenance and operation of vehicles owned
      e. Compliance with all safety and competition rules and regulations imposed by the Corporation
      f. Having at least ten members in good standing

1. Member club representation shall consist of those persons duly appointed by the member clubs to represent their individual club at the regular meetings. The number of representative from each club shall be as follows:

10 to 15 members ? 1 representative
      16 to 30 members ? 2 representatives
      31 to - members ? 3 representatives

B. Representative Duties.

1. A club representative has the duty of presenting motions and voting for his/her club on all matters of business for the Association. Each representative present at a meeting has one vote.

The yearly lakes duties are agreed upon and assigned at the presidents meeting (which I think is the Feb board/reps meeting). For a 10 person club you would expect to be assigned at least 2 duties per event, with one of them being a patrol so that normally takes 2 people in itself (am & pm).

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
@ Club discussion
« Reply #79 on: July 29, 2006, 01:29:49 PM »
I was out of the office for a few hours, and missed some comments that included stuff about me.

A year or so ago I joined the SCTA with an "associate" membership.    That is, the SCTA itself, not one of the member clubs.  I got newsletters, t-shirt, and so on -- but no minutes, no financials, nothing.  Nor, I state clearly, did I really expect that I would be privy to that material with my associate membership.  I joined to attempt to show support to the land speed racing community, and maybe to move myself closer the the "active" (read: lives near enough to attend meetings) members.

After learning what the SCTA associate membership yielded I chose to request admission to one of the SCTA member clubs, and did so.  The Gear Grinders makes allowances for members that won't be likely to attend E M events (and thereby pull duties).  At least one of those allowances is a "surcharge" for folks like me that live a zillion miles out of the way.

So now I'm a full-fledged member that lives a long way away.  But -- I get a copy of the GG meeting minutes emailed to me, and that's a start to learning what's going on in the Club.  I haven't learned yet what other benefits may accrue -- don't know if I'll get, through the GG, minutes from SCTA meetings, for instance.  I do know that some sense of "duty' has me offering to help when Nancy and I arrive at the Salt in a week or so -- so that I can look the other SCTA member clubmembers straight in the eye and feel that I'm doing my share of the work that needs to be done so we ALL can race.  I do the same with/for the ECTA -- no "individual" clubs there, but Nancy and I sell tickets at the gate and sweep the course and so on.  Club (group) members not only get to enjoy the benefits -- they get to share the tasks.

Yeah, and I'm on a "motorcycle rules advisory" committee or two, and may or may not have had an early opportunity to see proposed rule changes, may or may not have offered my opinion on the viability of any of those changes.  If i did make my thoughts be known -- I may or may not have suggested what you (the reader) wanted me to say.  I'm just beginning my sixth year of land speed racing, I'm perhaps not as technically adept as the racer in the next pit, but I'm offering to leaven the mixtue of inputs from all the others -- with my own.

And that's my story for now.  By the way, as I remember there wasn't a motorcycle rules meeting at SpeedWeek last year, the weather having gone to hell in a handbasket a few hours before the meeting was scheduled -- so the meeting was called off.  Ergo a reason why those of you that missed the meeting wondered about when it was held -- it wasn't.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline firemanjim

The 200 Club
« Reply #80 on: July 29, 2006, 02:18:27 PM »
JohnR,great explanation.But as Aaron said, that is the very first time I have ever heard any of what you said. It seems that that sort of information should be up front,readily available to all, and not seemingly hidden away. I am sure others are in the same predicament in not knowing that you needed to be a club member to have ANY input at all. You ask why ,after we spend thousands on our bikes we are not members---it's because we never knew it had any benefit, and did not know you could join a club without being near to one. All this type of info is hidden away.
Bonneville 2001,2002,2003,2004,and NO stinking 2005,DLRA 2006, next?
Well,sure can't complain about 2008--6 records over 200 and 5 hats from Bonneville,Bubs, and El Mirage for the team!

JohnR

The 200 Club
« Reply #81 on: July 29, 2006, 03:00:03 PM »
Quote from: firemanjim
JohnR,great explanation.But as Aaron said, that is the very first time I have ever heard any of what you said. ...

Well, the past is past, it's out there now.

In my opinion, the problem is the BNI Membership program. I don't understand what it's for. Joining implys you are a member of something, but I don't know exactly what. Sure, you get a hat and a poster, a few newsletters and a pit pass but you are not included in the decision making. I almost see BNI Membership as something for a fan who will be attending and SCTA membership being for those who are competing. The only reason I have ever joined BNI is because you have to be a member to run speedweek. I join BNI when I send in my SW entry. The trouble is that a racer who joins BNI and thinks that he is part of "it" and expects to be privy to the decision making process but that is not what BNI membership gets you. You have to be in the SCTA to get that position.

But, it's out there now and I HOPE that everybody who runs at SW, WOS and WF is a member of the SCTA. That way you have a hand in your own destiny.

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
The 200 Club
« Reply #82 on: July 29, 2006, 03:03:24 PM »
Our Mission

To provide safe and participant friendly land speed racing events for our membership.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

About the SCTA-BNI

The SCTA-BNI is an all volunteer organization comprised of 12 individual clubs.  We endeavor to answer the phones, answer your questions and ship your orders as soon as possible.  However, please bear with us, we are not a business for profit.  All of our officers and staff are unpaid.  Our merchandise sales profits go toward offsetting our overhead and event costs.  We're in it for the fun of it, and hope you are too.

Nature of the Organization

The Parent Corporation is the SCTA, a non-profit volunteer organization.  We have only one paid employee; she runs the SCTA/BNI office.  Five officers of the SCTA board (President, Vice President, Secretary, Treasurer and Sgt. at Arms) are nominated by the membership of the association and elected by ballots mailed to all SCTA members annually.  Those five elected officers appoint the rest of the board members from those of the general membership that are willing to serve.

To be an SCTA member, one must be a member of one of the affiliated clubs.  Each club is entitled to club representatives according to club size and they represent the clubs at the reps/board meetings.  All of the rules, policies, etc. are adopted by SCTA board vote. The rep. system advises the board as to the feelings of the clubs / club members. The only thing the SCTA general membership votes on is officers and bylaw changes.

The BNI is a separate corporation under SCTA board control with their own bylaws and subordinate board.  The BNI is charged with the responsibility of planning and organizing the Salt events and those logistic matters pertaining.  The BNI organizes Bonneville events and then hands the reins over to the SCTA, who conducts the event under their rules.

The SCTA board appoints the BNI officers; all must be SCTA board members and they choose who will serve in what capacity amongst themselves.  All decisions made by the BNI board are done by consensus.  The BNI makes neither rules nor policy; this is all done by the SCTA board.  Being a member of BNI is akin to joining the discount club at a store IE:  by joining and helping to support the cause, it gives you the right to participate in the event(s).

If you go to the SCTA site and click on mission you get the above.  The only thing they don't really talk about that I can see is that you can join some clubs without living near them.  There is links to all the clubs there also and the following infor:

Formed in 1938, the SCTA is comprised of member clubs.   Each club is responsible for providing the volunteer labor needed to organize and hold racing events.

Competitors must be club members in order to earn points and set records at a dry lakes event.  In turn, the points earned by each competitor is credited to the club and the clubs compete against each other for top points each season.

Each club has different criteria for membership - so call the club president for membership info. The clubs are listed below with a name and a telephone number for the person responsible for interviewing prospective members.  At this time, there are 12 member clubs holding meetings monthly in many Southern California locations.   Some clubs have web sites.

c ya, Sum

Offline jimmy six

The 200 Club
« Reply #83 on: July 29, 2006, 07:28:00 PM »
If you had a Club of all M/C's you would get a maximum of 3 votes out of about 25 (guessing here)

Being spread out amongst 14 Clubs and working hard in your club gives you a much better chance for anything.

If you were all in the same club I would bet (just guessing again) you never get ANYTHING you wanted. Old car guys are a spitefull bunch most of the time.....

Choose wisely..SDRC members get ALL the SCTA info plus Club stuff and have lots of members outside the area; on the down side we have Tatro  :wink:  ...J.D.
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

bak189

The 200 Club
« Reply #84 on: July 29, 2006, 08:08:43 PM »
Jimmy Six........you are probably
right.....maybe this is why we now also have the BUB all M/C meet.
Hey, don't pick on my man Tatro....
he has been known to ride half a Harley.