Author Topic: The 200 Club  (Read 28680 times)

Offline Freud

Play by the rules or set your own?
« Reply #45 on: July 28, 2006, 01:01:34 AM »
Racing organizations have the perogative of making rules changes.

NHRA reduced the amount of nitro and even after these changes, records continue to be broken.

NASCAR is requiring a totally new car in the not too distant future. Talk about  the cost of racing going up, here is a major example. All of todays cars will have to be replaced.

In the case of NHRA, no track records were reduced because of lower nitro percentages. NASCAR won't factor in an adjustment in their track records just because of a new car.

It is unfortunate in the case of the motorcycle class changes. I suppose you can still race the machine you built to fit a class and do it for time only. Your timing slip will show your speed and your satisfaction would have to come from exceeding the record for the previous class.

The answer to the whining about classes and finding a loop hole in the rules to build to, is to quit awarding records. Build what you want, pass the mandatory safety requirements and run what you brung. You would only be competing against yourself and improvement over your prior speed would be your reward, or are we so driven by "records" that it would not be satisfying that way?

I wonder what percentage of the racers benefit from being able to advertise their record?  The merit of that record always reverts back to the integrity of the association that awarded the record. Every sanctioning body will do whatever is necessary to have their records remain credible.

For those that the thrill of the ride isn't enough of a challenge I can visualize several challenges.

1- Make a side bet with some other competitor that will build enough challenge to satisfy your competitive needs.

2- Revert back to the LA Street racers code and race for pink slips. First you would have to establish the rules...........but that was the problem in the first place. I suppose you could fall back to the finely tuned rules that have evolved over the past 55 years.

3- Award yourself a red hat.

Some adrenaline junkies are difficult to satisfy but remember, if the kid owns the bat, the ball and you are playing in his yard, he establishes the rules. If you don't like that, you can start your own game. Kids understand and join in his game.

Adults want to start their own new game.

What a marvelous way to avoid a teardown.

FREUD
Since '63

aswracing

The 200 Club
« Reply #46 on: July 28, 2006, 10:05:03 AM »
Freud, every racing organization I've ever raced with, EXCEPT SCTA/BNI, has both solicited input from the racers before rule changes AND given plenty of notice of major changes before implementing them.

With SCTA/BNI, it's always a surprise. With this BS that happened last year, the rule change came about totally by surprise and AFTER I had spent thousands building a motor to the then-current rules.

What is so wrong with soliciting input from the racers? Particularly in such a grass roots racing class. We don't have the kinds of budgets they have in NHRA or Nascar. And changing the nitro percentage allowed in NHRA doesn't cost the racers thousands of dollars anyway.

Frankly, I found your whole post not only poorly thought out and irrelevant, but also arrogant and condescending. My guess is that if the changes affected you the way they did me, you'd have a whole different attitude.

Offline KeithTurk

• Global Moderator
The 200 Club
« Reply #47 on: July 28, 2006, 10:21:55 AM »
Dan pumped my engine so he knew it had a carb on it... I also didn't start using Data acq. equipment until the next year... so he was right to move it... seriously I didn't have a problem with that...  but if I'd have beat the Doll/Fox/Christopherson team with thier 86 Camaro, I might have wanted that record to stay put... so your point is well taken.
Keith Turk
 D Gas Modified Sports
 246.555 mph

bak189

The 200 Club
« Reply #48 on: July 28, 2006, 10:28:04 AM »
That is why we have the BUB Meet........"Run whatya brung" and get money for doing it!!!!!!

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
the 200 club
« Reply #49 on: July 28, 2006, 11:47:47 AM »
ASWRACING, get your facts straight. All rule and class changes are put before the membership and club reps. This included the classic class change a few years ago. It took many hours of research and meetings
(about 2 years) to put it together. The 1st year was a trial basis to see if it worked. The 1st year got positive results then the class's were included in the rule book. Every rule and class change takes time and lots of work. SCTA has nothing to do with the Bonneville 200 club. They set their own minimums. So I don't know where you are coming from that SCTA/BNI doesn't solicate the racers input and allow the comittees to do their job.
I have been going to the salt flats and lakes for well over 50 years and have been a board member as well over the years. Attended more meetings then I care to think about so the racer is supported in what they want.
Glen :roll:
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

aswracing

The 200 Club
« Reply #50 on: July 28, 2006, 11:49:23 AM »
Please show me when and where we were asked for input and then notified on the change that made S&S cases illegal in "M".

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
the 200 club
« Reply #51 on: July 28, 2006, 11:52:52 AM »
That you have to take up with the motorcycle comittee. They have a meeting everyyear at speed week to make changes for the upcoming year. All bikers are invited andd any requests for changes need be in writing.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Salty Blaster

The 200 Club
« Reply #52 on: July 28, 2006, 11:54:09 AM »
Boys, are we cross talking cars to bikes here?

ASWRACING, your point is well worth considering.
Go faster, just don't eat the salt!

Offline Salty Blaster

The 200 Club
« Reply #53 on: July 28, 2006, 11:57:51 AM »
Actually Glenn, that is not the case with the recent bike rule changes. They implemented an every other year rule for accepting proposed bike rule changes. After, I might point out many changes that were not brought before any general membership.
Go faster, just don't eat the salt!

aswracing

Re: the 200 club
« Reply #54 on: July 28, 2006, 11:59:25 AM »
Quote from: Glen
That you have to take up with the motorcycle comittee. They have a meeting everyyear at speed week to make changes for the upcoming year. All bikers are invited andd any requests for changes need be in writing.

Wait a second, I thought you said "All rule and class changes are put before the membership"?

Now you're saying that a person has to go to that meeting to know what's going on or provide input.

Would you please "get your facts straight"?

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
the 200 club
« Reply #55 on: July 28, 2006, 12:30:05 PM »
The MC bunch has their meeting on the salt, the car guys have a meeting in Los Angeles after the event. There is a time frame for both to be submitted to the general membership, the board and club reps. These are voted on and the rules comittee put together a blue line of the rule book changes and submit to the assoc. for final approval prior to print of the new rule book.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

aswracing

Re: the 200 club
« Reply #56 on: July 28, 2006, 12:34:15 PM »
Quote from: Glen
There is a time frame for both to be submitted to the general membership, the board and club reps.

So are the proposed changes actually submitted to the membership for review and comment? What's the vehicle for doing that? First I heard of the changes, they were a done deal.

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
the 200 club
« Reply #57 on: July 28, 2006, 12:46:06 PM »
It's done in October each year and finalized (wording etc.) to assure clarity. It's a big undertaking to make it happen in a timly matter so the rule book can get out with any changes prior to the season start to allow the racers to make changes. I realize out of state people can't be directly involved with all of the details and meetings but the board and committee members have e-mail and questions can be asked directly to them. SCTA has forms available for rule and any other changes and these have to be submitted in writing, not verbal.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

aswracing

The 200 Club
« Reply #58 on: July 28, 2006, 01:16:09 PM »
So again, I repeat the question. HOW are proposed rule changes communicated to the membership? Did it happen but I just missed it? I'm more than happy to comment through e-mail or otherwise contacting the appropriate people, but how do I hear about the proposed changes before they get adopted?

I realize there's a process for proposing rule changes, but that's not what I'm asking about. I want to know how I hear about and provide input on rule changes that are in the works, before they actually get adopted. What's the process?

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
the 200 club
« Reply #59 on: July 28, 2006, 01:44:34 PM »
All request for rule and class changes for SCTA are given to the 12 clubs to take back to their club meeting to yea or nay any changes. This is taken back to the reps meeting and a vote is taken to accept or not. This is published in the SCTA minutes and sent back to the clubs. If you are not a member of one of the 12 clubs I believe you can request a copy of the minutes from the SCTA secratary and be added to the mailing list.
I hope this helps a little. Any Bonneville 200 MPH rules are theirs and we have no control over them.
See ya on the salt
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah