Author Topic: The 200 Club  (Read 28684 times)

Offline bbb

• Aerodynamically Challenged
  • JorNic Motorsports
    • JorNic Motorsports, Charlottesville, Va.
The 200 Club
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2006, 01:58:54 PM »
well put keith. couldnt have said it better. =D> =D>

dwarner

The 200 Club
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2006, 07:42:43 PM »
"...the SCTA will give you a 200mph timeslip if you achieve it. the inner circle however wont give it official recognition without meeting its other minimum criterium."

Isn't this the point of the whole exercise? Set a record while meeting established class specifications - seems a whole lot more credable to me.

DW

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
When ?
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2006, 11:08:52 PM »
When the specifications are lowered to beneath the table it give rise to comment .
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

dwarner

The 200 Club
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2006, 11:14:08 PM »
?????????????????

DW

dwarner

The 200 Club
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2006, 11:17:35 PM »
One of the two threads about the 200 club/Honda trial mentioned the Honda course impacting the BNI course.

Whoever posted that apparently doesn't understand the layout of the salt flats and the vast area available.

In fact it is the BNI short course that will cause problems with the race track that has been set aside for the FIA race in Sept.

DW

Offline NArias3

• Arias Components
    • Arias Components Engineered
The 200 Club
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2006, 04:01:29 PM »
Quote from: bbb
the SCTA will give you a 200mph timeslip if you achieve it. the inner circle however wont give it official recognition without meeting its other minimum criterium.

Who/what is the "inner circle"?

Nick 3rd.
SCTA Gear Grinder.

https://ariascomponents.com

landracing

The 200 Club
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2006, 04:38:54 PM »
I just think its a figment of jacks imagination...

Jon

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
NOT ME !
« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2006, 04:53:00 PM »
Quote from: landracing
I just think its a figment of jacks imagination...

Jon

I never said "INNER CIRCLE", I think.
 I always said "UNDER THE TABLE".
The "GOOD OLD BOYS" are right on the edge of wetness
 with just a hand on the knee.

"Wanna buy a shirt?"
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."

dwarner

The 200 Club
« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2006, 09:47:30 PM »
bbb is the "inner circle" person.

Nick III and others want names.

DW

JohnR

The 200 Club
« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2006, 10:32:12 PM »
Quote from: dwarner
bbb is the "inner circle" person.
DW

bbb is in "Inner Circle"?

They wrote "Bad Boys" (the theme from Cops...)

Bad boys, bad boys
Whatcha gonna do, whatcha gonna do
When they come for you

:o

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
MAKING LIGHT
« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2006, 10:33:55 PM »
"Making light of something is an effective offense but a lousy defence."
The lawnmower stunt was confined to it's own species wasn't it ? :wink:

Offline Malcolm UK

The 200 Club
« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2006, 09:11:17 AM »
Most interesting thread on what the Bonneville 200 club do for 'another' sanctioning body who themselves have no minimums.  May just open that old can of worms regarding which (if either) is the most meritorius way of gaining a record and two club entry (LOL).

I have to thank the Two Club committee for acknowledging the British - some who have made it to Bonneville but some have not and some who did not set their records in America.
Malcolm UK, Derby, England.

Offline D-Type

The 200 Club
« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2006, 06:09:40 PM »
To an outsider like myself the idea of 'minimums' is very strange.

I can understand the basic 'Set a speed over 200mph' and you qualify.

I can understand that it was getting a bit crowded and they changed it to 'Set a new (class) record at over 200mph' and you qualify.

But I can't get my head around 'Set a new record at over 200mph isn't good enough you ALSO have to exceed an arbitrary minimum set by a club committee' and you qualify.  Why?  What purpose do these minimums serve?  Or have I missed part of the story?   :?:

I'm not trying to take the mickey - I genuinely don't understand
Oh Lord, please help me to keep my big mouth shut until I know what I am talking about

Offline KeithTurk

• Global Moderator
The 200 Club
« Reply #28 on: July 26, 2006, 06:17:03 PM »
To have a 200mph club and not recognize the first guy to go over 200mph would be a mistake in my opinion... I like the fact that the Bonneville 200mph club established an Honorary title... Henry Seagraves is obviously deserving of that title.

As for Texas... Guys... it's the Texas 200mph club... they don't have to live by our rules... they get to pick...   IF we choose to run there we have to live by their rules...   Ultimately the respect that organization gains... is going to be directly proportional to how they set it up and maintain it.

When Tonya, David and I ran there... we played the game by their rules and the ones we were used to... David ran 200... I ran 205 and Tonya ran 208.... ( ask me how often I'm reminded that she's faster at Maxton and Texas... LOL )....  but even if one of us had ran slower...we'd have still been in the Texas two club by their rules...  fair enough...
Keith Turk
 D Gas Modified Sports
 246.555 mph

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
The 200 Club
« Reply #29 on: July 26, 2006, 07:39:13 PM »
Quote from: D-Type
But I can't get my head around 'Set a new record at over 200mph isn't good enough you ALSO have to exceed an arbitrary minimum set by a club committee' and you qualify.  Why?  What purpose do these minimums serve?  Or have I missed part of the story?   :?:

If you have a class that has been around for decades and the speeds have risen into the 200+ range you know if you set a record you have worked hard to beat those before you and the 200+ didn't come easy.

Now all the time there are new classes.  So let's say they just created a new AA (over 501 cid/8.2 liter) mini newer than 2001 convertible class.  It would probably be pretty easy to go out there and run 1st day of Speed Week in this brand new class and exceed 200 mph and get a record and get into the 2 club.  So can this 2 club record be compared to the one where you  tried to run 200 with a 1 liter motor in a class where the speeds have been creeping up on 200 for years with lots of guys trying?

The 2 club is suppose to recognize an achievement not "cherry picking" soft speeds in new or existing classes.  The problems come in as to what speeds the minimums should be set at.  You are probably never going to get a consensus on that one  :wink: .

This is my view and does not necessarily represent the "official" 2 club views.

c ya, Sum