Author Topic: The 200 Club  (Read 28683 times)

Offline Bow

The 200 Club
« on: July 20, 2006, 08:47:47 AM »
After reading that post on the Honda F1 speed attempt...

I'm I correct in thinking that to get into the 200 club, one does not just have to clear the 200 mph mark?

It changes by engine size?
Bow

Cut with an axe, Beat to fit, Paint to match

Offline hitz

200 club
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2006, 09:22:59 AM »
Posted: 20 Jul 2006 06:47 am    Post subject: The 200 Club  

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After reading that post on the Honda F1 speed attempt...

I'm I correct in thinking that to get into the 200 club, one does not just have to clear the 200 mph mark?

It changes by engine size?

You are correct.. You must also break a record.

The engine size is one of the things that is part of the qualifications for the class the record is broken.

Harv

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
200 Club
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2006, 09:23:02 AM »
Maybe at Texas that's all it takes -- somebody correct me if I'm wrong about that -- maybe there all you do is exceed 2 Bills.

Bonneville and ECTA and El Mirage 2 Clubs you must break an existing record over 200, or set a record over 200 if there is no existing record in your class (class is determined by many factors, engine size being but one of them).  Also note that many classes have minimums for the Club(s), so your chosen class might require a 205 or a 215 or a 270 or whatever.  That is, if you're in a class with a 250 minimum (for instance) and the existing record is 240 and you set a record of 245 -- you still haven't qualified for that 200 MPH Club, even though you'd be the new record holder.  

The minimums for the Bonneville 2 Club are posted on their site (www.bonneville200mph.org I think).  ECTA doesn't have minimums -- just set a record in excess of the existing record.  I'm not sure about EM -- but no doubt someone else will fill you in.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline bbb

• Aerodynamically Challenged
  • JorNic Motorsports
    • JorNic Motorsports, Charlottesville, Va.
The 200 Club
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2006, 09:48:41 AM »
so when they changed the qualification for the 200 club, why didnt they change it to:

200mph and Broke a Record Club? :roll:

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
2 Club
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2006, 10:03:24 AM »
It'd take too big a hat to get all those words on the front.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
ALWAYS
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2006, 10:13:36 AM »
Quote from: bbb
so when they changed the qualification for the 200 club, why didnt they change it to:

200mph and Broke a Record Club? :roll:

The requirement to break a record was always there.
They get into trouble when they decide what is a record and make exceptions for individuals.
For example SCTA classes have a minimum requirement for entry and the FIA classes do not.
Does that mean that BNI International records are held to a minimum?
What about little AMA and FIM ?
The consensus is that it depends.
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline Pat Kinne / Salt201

• Global Moderator
2 Club Minimums for FIA/FIM
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2006, 10:46:43 AM »
Jack - At your suggestion we will be taking a shot at establishing minimums for FIM records for use after the season to give racers a chance to see them prior to next season.  As to your kind offer to establish FIA minimums, because I don't know anything,  that would be great - you go guy.  Send them to the club office when you are ready and we will place them under review.  
Also, since you felt it necessary to take it personal, and no I don't feel like meeting you at Calloway's fence ( whats with you San Diego guys ) why don't you hire that hooker again and get the poison out of your system. It seemed to work for a few months last time.  By the way, make sure to give a big tip, he'll have earned it.  Pat Kinne

landracing

The 200 Club
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2006, 11:54:14 AM »
Ok gentlemen, lets keep good guys... the board can let words fly, but in the end we are all in it for the speed and the good company while doing it.

Jack,

I got emails already this morning saying that they are looking into the 200 minimums for FIA/FIM... This may not take effect until next year...

Just remember most rules set forth are because of something that happened in the past...

Bow,

To keep this straight.

El Mirage, One way pass exceeding the record, or mininum in the class set forth by the SCTA

Bonneville, break an exsisting record in your class (Scta/bni record), or exceed the mininum set forth by the Bonneville 200 Club, which gives you a record. OR set FIA record, (which could be lower then a comparable class in the SCTA, or one of the other sanctioned events set forth be the 200 club... (Pat, is that correct way to state)

Check the Bonneville 200 Club website for other restrictions
http://www.bonneville200mph.org

ECTA, one way pass exceeding the record

Muroc, one way pass exceeding the record

Texas, one way pass exceeding the record

Jon

Offline Bow

The 200 Club
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2006, 11:55:53 AM »
Thanks Jon.

That answers any questions I might have on the subject.
Bow

Cut with an axe, Beat to fit, Paint to match

landracing

The 200 Club
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2006, 11:58:15 AM »
Pat,

Thanks for all your hard work, we have had many emails over the past few years and done alot of stuff for the motorcycles.

Im fairly new to the sport (15 years) and I just try to figure out how things work.. sometimes things have always worked that way but it takes a special circumstance for it to come out again...

None of my opinions are personal attacks, they are just opinions or questions that I try to get answes too...

Thanks again Pat for coming on and letting us know how it works and why things are done.

Jon

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
STANDARDS ?
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2006, 12:57:20 PM »
The mention of Hookers etc. at least demonstrates you have a sense of humor.
The cussing/discussion was always about maintaining a high standard and with it the respect it deserves at that level.
"If you jump off the porch, don't be surprised if you are kicked next time."
You have in house a very capable group to decide on the suitability of the minimums and they should be allowed to do it.
If someone takes exception to that, I would expect to hear from them also.
 They don't need me to hold their hand but they know I will slap them on the head if I think it is appropriate.
A person tends to think a little more about the impact of what they are saying when before a large group.
 Some are really eloquent and other can't speak at all.
Get accustomed to the exposure because it is going to happen anyway.
The same hand you can shake can also slap you  or wave bye bye.
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
When in Texas
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2006, 01:33:15 PM »
The NASA method sounds a lot like the early SCTA.
 In the early days, you picked your class and if you ran too fast, they bumped you up.
NASA was the outgrowth of the SCCA evolution into a nit-picky bunch that wanted to weigh your valves.
"To each his own but don't date out of your species."

Offline bbb

• Aerodynamically Challenged
  • JorNic Motorsports
    • JorNic Motorsports, Charlottesville, Va.
The 200 Club
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2006, 12:07:58 AM »
texas is not that big (the race event, not the state) :lol: and our experience there was great. simply put, common sense, commoradery and trust are the basics behind the Texas Mile. The Texas Mile 200mph "club" is for those looking to acheive that very moniker: 200mph. the SCTA will give you a 200mph timeslip if you achieve it. the inner circle however wont give it official recognition without meeting its other minimum criterium.

Offline KeithTurk

• Global Moderator
The 200 Club
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2006, 12:34:40 AM »
I'm going to take a second and defend the folks there in Texas... they simply don't get out much to Land speed racing events... but hey they wanted to put one on... and they do...  it's not as fancy as the folks that have been doing it a while... and records and thier 200mph club is set up different...  Thier choice... they simply wanted thier 200mph club to recognize folks that have been over 200mph...  it will have the respect it deserves... and amoung folks outside our community... it's got about the same merit as any other 200mph club... simply tells folks you've been 200mph... not a statement that every yahoo in the world can make...

Jay and Shannon Mathus... have done a wonderful job of building an event and they honestly try real hard... the organizational skills are there... they run a safe and honest meet...  

Keith Turk
Keith Turk
 D Gas Modified Sports
 246.555 mph

Offline GH

200 club
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2006, 10:40:16 AM »
I also agree with KT, I was there last October, had a great time, they put on a first class show as does ECTA. My junk does not have enough whoa power for those short tracks to go 200....