Author Topic: Honda...if you care  (Read 27208 times)

Offline DrofRockology

• my blog
Honda...if you care
« Reply #75 on: July 31, 2006, 05:29:41 PM »
Quote from: dynoroom

To be fair Mark set the record in 1990, the 2 club was already establishing minimums you guys were just caught in the middle and it sucks

ok.  part of this confusion is my fault; part of it is because nobody wants to see the truth as i?m attempting to barbecue a sacred cow: the bonneville 200 mph club.

i talked with my brother, mark, over the weekend and got the gory details refreshed in my aging mind.

i will admit to you now that i did make a mistake in the class and engine category in which pat volk was running when he was inducted into the club.  although, i?d have to say the difference between ?a? and ?c? are about the same as between ?c? and ?e.?  it was a gas roadster not a street roadster.  nitpickers will surely make a deal over it, so fire away!

but, pat volk isn?t the issue!  as i have pointed out for the past 15 years, pat volk belongs in the club!

michael, if you?re going to be fair to mark induct him immediately!

it's not about doing it again, it's about doing it right!

it?s about integrity, michael!

mark was informed, while the car was in impound, that his record would be considered for membership after the board decided what the minimum would be; AFTER THE FACT!

there were no minimums on the previous day!

if the club is without integrity, and whether you want to admit it or not, setting a minimum acceptable speed after the fact removes said integrity, than what good is that ?red hat? so many of you proudly wear?

club sycophants won?t and will never get it and can now start flaming me again.
gregory w. gillette
aka: monty wolf (not monte wolfe)

"fear is never boring!"

read all about it: http://montywolf.blogspot.com/

Offline Pat Kinne / Salt201

• Global Moderator
2 CLUB BOARD
« Reply #76 on: July 31, 2006, 05:46:49 PM »
GREG - AS DYNOROOM POINTED OUT - THE ISSUE YOU  BRING UP IS 16 YEARS OLD - THE B'VILLE 200 MPH CLUB BOARD OF DIRECTORS YOU ARE SLAMMING HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH SETTING THE QUESTIONED MINIMUM.  8 OF THE NINE CURRENT BOARD MEMBERS WERE NOT INVOLVED IN THE RUNNING OF THE CLUB AT THAT TIME. THE CURRENT BOARD IS VERY RESPONSIVE TO MEMBERS INPUT AS TO MINIMUMS AND HOW THEY ARE SET - THE CAR MINIMUMS HAVE BEEN VALIDATED BY DAN WARNER AND ADJUSTED IF NECESSARY - THE BIKE MINIMUMS WERE ESTABLISHED AT THE REQUEST OF BIKE RACERS AND ARE THE RESULT OF A GREAT DEAL OF WORK BY SCOTT GUTHRIE AND HIS TEAM (LARRY FORSTAL AND JASON McVICKER) WITH ADDITIONAL INPUT FORM THE AMO'S. I DON'T THINK ANYONE CAN (OR SHOULD)  QUESTION THE CREDENTIALS OF THESE MEN.  IF YOU WERE TO CHECK- A VAST MAJORITY OF THE NEW RECORDS FROM 2004 THAT WERE SET AGAINST A 2 CLUB MINIMUM  EXCEEDED THAT MINIMUM BY JUST A FEW MILES PER HOUR - BUT THEY WERE EXCEEDED. Pat Kinne ( edited - I forgot to sign it)

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
HISTERICALLY SPEAKING
« Reply #77 on: August 05, 2006, 10:59:28 PM »
"Your performance is in large part predictated by your past and history will be the final judge.
Don't neglect the friends or even those you might consider enemies, because their contribution is valuable too.
Even if you don't agree, they give you pause to think and decide for yourself."

THERE, I FEEL BETTER NOW :wink:
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline fastesthonda_jim

• Ready to Rock 2003
Honda...if you care
« Reply #78 on: August 05, 2006, 11:19:45 PM »
Geeez, JackD.  It seems your recent lower end "re-build" has left you less, ummmm, "pissy" than before.  

Shall we then call it a success?  Or have the drugs not worn off yet?

Perhaps you got the spare parts on ebay from a Priest?
2006 SCTA High Points Champeen
2006 Dirty "2" Wrench Of The Year
Bonneville "2" Club 2003
El Mirage Dirty "2"'s 2006
Bonneville Records: G/GS, F/GS (Boy)  G/FS (Girl)
El Mirage Records: F/BFS, F/FS, F/GS, I/FS, I/GS, K/BGS
FIA Records A, II, 8
Unlimited License
300mph line qualified (305.129 best mile speed)
The older half of San Diego's Fastest Couple
2016 Man of Distinction Award
DLRA 2019 Top Speed of The Meet (309.438 Mile - 323.3 GPS)

JohnR

Re: HISTERICALLY SPEAKING
« Reply #79 on: August 06, 2006, 12:05:48 AM »
Quote from: JackD
"Your performance is in large part predictated by your past and history will be the final judge.
Don't neglect the friends or even those you might consider enemies, because their contribution is valuable too.

I TOLD YOU HE WOULD START SIGNING HIS POSTS XOXOXOXO!!!

It's JackD 2.0 !

Hi Jack, Welcome back!

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #80 on: August 06, 2006, 12:13:43 AM »

Hey I feel better too knowing that you are back :D .  You home or did you sneak down to the nurse's station and steal their computer???

Hope things are progressing good for you.

c ya, Sum

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #81 on: August 06, 2006, 01:27:23 AM »

Welcome back Jack, glad you feel better.
Did they use jumper cables?  :)
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
I CAN'T LIE TOO YOUSE GUYS
« Reply #82 on: August 06, 2006, 01:58:33 AM »
Well, the new parts are working just fine and it all happened so fast the "Priest" probably doesn't know what happened yet.
It was a 10 day deal in the facility.
 5 days were spent under the normal schedule and the other 5 was a plan by the kitchen staff to keep me from talking.
For future reference,  don't discount the value of home in your own bed with cooking to match. :wink:
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."

Offline fastesthonda_jim

• Ready to Rock 2003
Honda...if you care
« Reply #83 on: August 06, 2006, 09:44:01 AM »
JackD said, "For future reference, don't discount the value of home in your own bed with cooking to match."

Ditto!  July 6 my Mom had a stroke.  Went to Stanford Hospital.  Was doing fair, quite possibly could have gotten out in a week or two although probably would have spent her life "hooked up" and in a wheelchair, two lifestyles she had specifically and legally made the choice to "opt out" of.  

We weren't sure which way her recovery was headed, and the go/no go decisions were getting difficult.  But then the staff "got hold" of her with a series of "fatal" mistakes along with massive in-attention, and (the Lord works in mysterious ways) actually made our decision "easier".  Mom's hatred of doctors, hospitals, and anything that resembled healthy living(5'8", 245lbs., 205/154 blood pressure, etc.), was/is the reason she's going.  The hospital's actions/in-actions simply made our choice easier.

So, with the help of Hospice, we brought her home.  BEST CHOICE WE COULD HAVE MADE.  HOSPICE IS AMAZING!!!  She's happier.  Her visiting friends are happier.  She's with her chickens, mostly Araconas.  And the food is better.

Moral: if you MUST be in a hospital, get a relative or hire a nurse, somebody, anybody, to just sit in your room 24 x 7 and make sure, moment by moment, that your tubes are hooked up, you're getting the right food, your meds are applied, etc., because even in Intensive "Care" they screw it up.  Oh yeah, and I wouldn't go to Stanford either.

Have fun on The Salt, guys.  And don't worry.  We're doing our own sort of Speedweek Reunion around Mom.  Kind of amazing actually, this death thing.  We have been truly blessed.

Jim
2006 SCTA High Points Champeen
2006 Dirty "2" Wrench Of The Year
Bonneville "2" Club 2003
El Mirage Dirty "2"'s 2006
Bonneville Records: G/GS, F/GS (Boy)  G/FS (Girl)
El Mirage Records: F/BFS, F/FS, F/GS, I/FS, I/GS, K/BGS
FIA Records A, II, 8
Unlimited License
300mph line qualified (305.129 best mile speed)
The older half of San Diego's Fastest Couple
2016 Man of Distinction Award
DLRA 2019 Top Speed of The Meet (309.438 Mile - 323.3 GPS)

Offline wolcottjl

Honda...if you care
« Reply #84 on: August 07, 2006, 12:23:54 AM »
From someone who usually lurks and once in a great while posts.

Nothing is more important than spending time with your family, especially when they are in need.   I too am missing my trip to the salt - My first trip as a driver, I had planned for a year.  I suffered a stroke at 40 from a sudden onset of high blood pressure recently.  It took the stroke to show me how important family and friends are.  

I agree on having someone in the room 24 hours a day.  A nurse stopped by to give me an injection while I was in - If I had not been awake I would not be here right now.  The meds where for the person across the hall.

God Bless you and your mother.  Spend as much time with her as you can while you can.
Joel Wolcott
Moving to 2 wheels in 2010

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
QUALITY OF LIFE
« Reply #85 on: August 07, 2006, 12:34:56 AM »
It is too bad the young seem to believe they are so immortal and they have to depend so much on luck.
I spend a lot of time on that subject and it is worth it. :wink:

Offline Malcolm UK

Back to Honda F1
« Reply #86 on: August 07, 2006, 08:15:43 AM »
I am sure that the land speed community will welcome the speed record of the Honda F1 team, the World's fastest F1 car, and on Sunday in Hungary the 'new' teams first F1 win with Jenson Button from Britain (via Monaco) driving.

Of course you may want to talk about the what ifs:  what if Kimi had not hit the Torro Rosso ........., what if Alonso had an intact drive shaft ...........,  what if the Ferrari had not started to fail (suspension?) ......., what if it had been dry .......

Now you have the JCB to look forward to - private time week beginning the 20th August too.
Malcolm UK, Derby, England.

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
LOOKING AHEAD FROM HISTORY
« Reply #87 on: August 07, 2006, 10:34:41 AM »
The success of the ERECTRICK CAR  is sorta in the mix too.

Offline DrofRockology

• my blog
Honda...if you care
« Reply #88 on: August 07, 2006, 03:47:42 PM »
glad to hear you're back and beautiful, jack.

hope you're feeling better!
gregory w. gillette
aka: monty wolf (not monte wolfe)

"fear is never boring!"

read all about it: http://montywolf.blogspot.com/

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
Honda...if you care
« Reply #89 on: August 07, 2006, 05:17:41 PM »
In Germany we say,

A Mother can take care for ten kids, but ten kids can't take care for one Mother.

One of the most important thing in life is a family, if tears drop down on a tomb it's too late.

My mother turned 74 this year, her health is not the best, but during the time I'm at the salt, friends of mine will look for her, so she knows there will be no problem for her during the week I'm overseas.
Pork Pie

Photoartist & Historian & 200 MPH Club Member (I/GL 202.8 mph in the orig. Bockscar #1000)