Author Topic: Honda...if you care  (Read 27204 times)

Offline interested bystander

WFHF1
« Reply #60 on: July 27, 2006, 08:54:34 PM »
World's fastest Honda-Jim-

Methinks you're steppin' on SOUR GRAPES!

As seemingly pathetic as Honda's effort was, did anybody think maybe they were trying to encourage the REST of the F1 circus to have go at the F1 all-out speed record?
5 mph in pit area (clothed)

Offline jimmy six

Honda...if you care
« Reply #61 on: July 27, 2006, 10:12:01 PM »
Sorry Drof, After getting anomyous spelled right I thought I was clicking back in on the post before I could put my name. It's Tone as in J.D....
YOU stated that YOU no longer didn't own any 200 MPH merchandise...What are we to think?

Also the Board of today is not the one of the 90's. And I do not know what was happening at that time because it was not my worry but it is apparently yours. To me the best thing to do it continue racing.

I hope this is over...J.D.
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

dwarner

Honda...if you care
« Reply #62 on: July 27, 2006, 10:46:13 PM »
Greg,

I think the 2 club board of directors has changed since you became a member in '78. The minimum deal was put into place with the idea that some records were too low based upon currently available technology.

If a AA class record was in place in the 80s at 178 MPH shouldn't a more up to date AA car be able to run faster? This is the idea, may not be perfect but thats what it is.

Take a look at who is running the club now, not who was in place 20+ years ago.

DW

landracing

Honda...if you care
« Reply #63 on: July 27, 2006, 11:06:49 PM »
Quote from: dwarner
Read the bylaws.

At the board meeting this issue was discussed, Pat Kinne responded to Jon Amo several weeks ago that a FIM record will get a rider into the club. Pat has asked Jon if he received his email and so far no response has been heard.

Whats going on? No communication between posters on this board?

DW

Dan,

Yes I received the email from Pat Kinne.. We have had personall emails on this since.. Although I disagree with some points I choose not to beat it to death..

My mind right now is to be able to race on the salt with my bike.. I have a hard time doing two things at once.. Im a nervous wreck right now since I still am waiting on critical parts.. And my wife says im in a unbearable state and handed me a pillow for the couch.. And I have told my job not to expect me at work next week... I let them know ahead of time that I will be sick, probably all week...

Jon

dwarner

Honda...if you care
« Reply #64 on: July 27, 2006, 11:12:29 PM »
Jon,

Concentrate on the bike. These side issues can wait until the off season. Plenty of cow pies to kick around then.

DW

Offline KeithTurk

• Global Moderator
Honda...if you care
« Reply #65 on: July 27, 2006, 11:20:51 PM »
HEY GREG.... DUDE... how are you?  BEEN a while...  hoping all was well with you... talked about you a lot over the last few years...

Stay the hell in touch buckwheat...

Keith
Keith Turk
 D Gas Modified Sports
 246.555 mph

Offline KeithTurk

• Global Moderator
Honda...if you care
« Reply #66 on: July 28, 2006, 06:49:04 AM »
Okay for those of you who don't know who Greg Gillette is... he's Elmo's son... He grew up on the Bonneville salt flats... this is what he did... he's way into music and works as a DJ at some rock station somewhere out there in radio land...   He got in the 200mph club driving the "Redhead" back in the late 70's...  and I give him credit for teaching me a bit about the 2 club...  it was his philosophy that the 200mph club was all about the Driver... the person behind the wheel who took a vehicle to a place nobody else had ever been... and that was it's merit.   While the mechanical stuff is interesting... this club for him is all about the Driver.

Over the last few years I've re-defined that a bit for myself... the 200mph club is all about the effort...  and it's a collective effort of the people involved... it's one of the places that we can show the results of a total effort... both mechanical and personal for the driver involved.  

Obviously it takes money to do that... some folks are blessed with more then others... so the level of pride one takes in wearing the hat isn't the same for each member...  Guys like JD who've struggled just to keep a 6 cylinder on Nitro together and get to the other end will assign more merit to the mechanical task and guys like Andy Green will simply accept the hat as another one of the honors that goes with being the fastest man on the earth... ( thou I think we hooked poor ole Andy )....

Ultimately the 200mph club has whatever merit those of us that race there give it.... outsiders will respect whatever we say cause they simply don't know any better...  We as a group should do everything we can to keep and preserve the credibility and integrity of the club...  With that in mind, they came up with the Minimums... they work... thou not perfect they do represent attainable and reasonable goals for new class's as they are created...  They make a fella work at getting in the club ... while not pulling up the welcome matt behind the folks that have already attained it...

Guys it's time to go work on my junk... enjoy see you at Bville....
Keith Turk
 D Gas Modified Sports
 246.555 mph

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
Honda...if you care
« Reply #67 on: July 28, 2006, 03:00:55 PM »
Greg sound very frustrated about the 2 Club.

But see it so, this is the evolution of the technik.

In 1978 - how much cars/bikes went into the 2 club during the season...
....5? 10?
Today, every year the list is 25 - 30 members longer.

Why?

When I drove 25 years ago my BMW 728i, it was a real racer, wow, what speed - today average small car like a standard Golf reach a speed of
200+ kph.
Today the technic and electronic allowed us to get more and more power out. The building quality of the cars and bike went up to a new level.

The result, today we can reach a speed which was 20 years ago not possible.

As a example - in 1996 the IGS record was 178 mph - August 96 the Theorem II pushed the record to 198 mph, September 96 we pushed the record to 199 mph with the first 200 mph one way run. August 97 the record we pushed to  216 mph in IGS and 224 mph in IFS - September 97, the final speed was a 251....than the rain was coming.
In 98 we went to 218, but the salt allowed us not more.
After us, Jim and Mary True start there records - today the IFS is 253 mph (FIA) and 249 mph (SCTA) - Mary runs 248 on gas before she blew the engine (it was not her fault, a rod was damaged). This was October 2001. The IFS FIA is only 5 mph under the I BFS record from the 86.

Rick Yaccouci runs 316 in I BFS 2003........

What I like to explain - in the 70's 200 miles was a real border, something though......today this limit is may be by 280 mph.......

But on the other side, it's still great if amateurs in the workshop at home are building racers which can break the 200......doesn't matter that today it's much easier to do it.

But at first you need the guts to do it, and than the long breath to go through all the up and down of building a car or bike.

And this makes it today still great, to be a part of the speed community at the salt - I mean the real speednuts....not this publicity day tripper so as Honda......

And Greg, you done a great job in 1978....and this counts......

Can you remember how a computer looks 1978....and where we are today
..... this is evolution...you can't stop it........
Pork Pie

Photoartist & Historian & 200 MPH Club Member (I/GL 202.8 mph in the orig. Bockscar #1000)

Offline DrofRockology

• my blog
Honda...if you care
« Reply #68 on: July 28, 2006, 08:07:45 PM »
Quote from: dynoroom
Boy, I sure don't get this Dr. After looking at all the current records in "C" they look pretty good to me. The only "open" C records are in the new Rear Engine Modified Roadster class. BFRMR @ 275, FRMR @ 265, BGRMR @ 250, & GRMR @ 240. The other open records in "C" are ps @ 240, BFMS @ 260, BGMS @ 240, Classic PS @ 220. Looks like the 2 Club Board did a fair job (even if I don't think we should have added rear engine modifieds, we have enough classes!!).
So what does todays board have to do with Greg getting in back in '78?
What am I missing?  :roll:

you may not know me but at least i sign my name.

hi michael:

i?ve never had the opportunity to meet you.

let me address your issues in order:

the record i was referring to was in 1991.  since i lived 3000 miles from the action i can?t remember all the details (speeds, etc.)  i think it was a street roadster class.  larry volk would certainly be able to tell you what class it was and what the minimum was set at and his son?s (sorry, don?t know him or his name) speed in the class, which gained him entry into the 200 mph club.

i do remember that the minimum speed the board set the minimum at for the ?a? class was about 20 or 30 mph slower than the ?c? class record.

doesn?t this sound fishy to you?

i may be wrong about this, but i believe my brother?s lsa record (i do know him and his name is mark) still stands some 15 years after he set it.

i?m sure the volk record is long gone since running the speed a ?c? motor ran should be no problem for an ?a? engine.

what are you missing?

the point!

i know for a fact the redhead streamliner has pissed of a lot of people over the years.

well, that?s too bad for them!

it?s a very cool car and has been very fast!  it seems to me, it was one of only 3 scta bonneville records (mickey t; summers bros; the redhead) in the books that stood at over 300 mph for many, many years.

a lot of us got in the club driving that car.

it seems there were several board members who didn?t really car for that.  i know for a fact that many of them don?t like my father (his name is elmo) and our partner, jim lattin.

being away from the salt for so long made it easy for me to slip into conversations with people who, either didn?t know me or didn?t recognize me, where i heard comments like ?the goddamned redhead!?

i?m sorry if it was an easy ticket into the club.

that?s no reason to ignore mark?s record and any other record!

i don?t hear comments like that about the nish ?liner.

this has nothing to do with my record or entry into the club.

this has to do with my brother and a handful of other driver?s (i may know some of them, but don?t know all of their names) who?s records have been ignored.

in regards to my name, i deal online with people all over the world who recognize my screen name an icon for whom i am.  sorry, i guess i?m used to everyone knowing who the dr. of rockology really is.

if i signed the name most people know me by it would confuse you even more.  but for the purposes of confusing everyone even more, i?ll be changing my signature.
gregory w. gillette
aka: monty wolf (not monte wolfe)

"fear is never boring!"

read all about it: http://montywolf.blogspot.com/

Offline DrofRockology

• my blog
Honda...if you care
« Reply #69 on: July 28, 2006, 08:15:42 PM »
Quote from: jimmy six
Sorry Drof, After getting anomyous spelled right I thought I was clicking back in on the post before I could put my name. It's Tone as in J.D....
YOU stated that YOU no longer didn't own any 200 MPH merchandise...What are we to think?

Also the Board of today is not the one of the 90's. And I do not know what was happening at that time because it was not my worry but it is apparently yours. To me the best thing to do it continue racing.

I hope this is over...J.D.

hi jd:

long time no see/talk/listen.

i believe we were both members of the rod riders but that was a long time ago and it was a different club then.

i'm not sure what you're to think.  all i can tell you is, for me, it's my little form of protesting the club and the board until this egregious error is corrected.
gregory w. gillette

"fear is never boring!"

Offline DrofRockology

• my blog
Honda...if you care
« Reply #70 on: July 28, 2006, 08:33:36 PM »
Quote from: KeithTurk
Okay for those of you who don't know who Greg Gillette is... he's Elmo's son... He grew up on the Bonneville salt flats... this is what he did... he's way into music and works as a DJ at some rock station somewhere out there in radio land...   He got in the 200mph club driving the "Redhead" back in the late 70's...  and I give him credit for teaching me a bit about the 2 club...  it was his philosophy that the 200mph club was all about the Driver... the person behind the wheel who took a vehicle to a place nobody else had ever been... and that was it's merit.   While the mechanical stuff is interesting... this club for him is all about the Driver.

hi keith:

you're in my thought quite often, my friend.

i have made a few changes in my life since we last communicated.

i'm still in radio but i've been doing news for several years.  within the past few weeks my voice has gone around the world on foxnews and srn news network.  a couple years ago i had 16-minutes on the bbc.  i've been on national television several times.

i'm too old to be a hip dj!   :lol:

so, now i get to irritate harry reid on a regular basis.  much more fun than playing "freebird" for the 10,000th time.   :)

i also get to do some really cool things like taking a ride at 130 mph on the back bumper with bob riggle in the "hemi under glass"; driving a 1924 durant speedster; knowing u-s senators, congress members and governors on a first name basis; driving pat hitchcock's (alfred's daughter) 1938 cord.  

but, one of the coolest things i've done was a remote newscast with a ring-tailed lemur on my head and a baby leopard in my lap.

i'm a simple man with simple delights!

got your email and i'll keep in touch.
gregory w. gillette

"fear is never boring!"

Offline joea

Honda...if you care
« Reply #71 on: July 28, 2006, 08:34:38 PM »
could someone break a record over 200.........
and exceed the minimum set by the 2 club.........

and be denied entry into the 2 club.......?

Offline Pat Kinne / Salt201

• Global Moderator
200 Plus Record
« Reply #72 on: July 29, 2006, 10:06:56 AM »
Joe - According to the current 2 Club Records and Minimums Book - the answer is entry into the B'Ville 200 MPH Club - This sounds like a question similar to: "JOE - WHEN DID YOU STOP BEATING YOUR WIFE???"  I am going on the premise that your talking about a SCTA/BNI, USFRA, FIA (oh boy) or FIM record.  Pat Kinne

Offline DrofRockology

• my blog
Honda...if you care
« Reply #73 on: July 31, 2006, 03:34:08 PM »
YOU DON'T CHANGE THE RULES AFTER THE GAME IS OVER!

the 200 mph club board of directors didn't have minimums established when mark gillette established his world lsr!

the board didn't chose a minimum until after the car was in impound!

how is the club justified in that?

YOU DON'T CHANGE THE RULES AFTER THE GAME IS OVER!
gregory w. gillette

"fear is never boring!"

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
Honda...if you care
« Reply #74 on: July 31, 2006, 05:11:41 PM »
Greg Gillette said "I do remember that the minimum speed the board set the minimum at for the ?a? class was about 20 or 30 mph slower than the ?c? class record.

doesn?t this sound fishy to you?"

The first thing I would like to point out is the 200 mph club has a very different board today so blasting them for something that happened 15+ years ago seems inappropriate.

Now about Marks record, today's club minimums show a similar issue. Costella & Yacoucci hold the H/BGS record @ 331 but 2 classes up the "F" minimum is 250 and some people haven't been able to go that fast yet! So no it doesn't sound fishy to me, Jack & Rick are fast!

To be fair Mark set the record in 1990, the 2 club was already establishing minimums you guys were just caught in the middle and it sucks.

Lastly the Redhead is still Jim's car (and looked great in the Fastest Indian) and I'm sure there are others who would give Mark a ride, this sport is suppose to be fun remember? I know your dad and we didn't see eye to eye several times too, but I still respect ANYONE who gives their time to help run these events.
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...