Author Topic: Honda...if you care  (Read 27207 times)

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
SKILLL LEVEL UNDER THE TABLE OR ON THE TABLE
« Reply #45 on: July 23, 2006, 01:42:09 PM »
If the 2 Club claims to have the skill level in house to analyze the SCTA
rules and establish minimums that might even be in excess of the Club record,
 the simpler FIA rules should be simpler.
It is that simple as long as money and PR influence is kept out of it.
 :wink:
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
Honda...if you care
« Reply #46 on: July 23, 2006, 04:31:04 PM »
This team worked as hard as any team who has ever run the salt.

Dan, nobody is jelousy about Hondo's record, the "point" is different as you think.

The real problem with this record is just, that Honda bought a record, so as a lot of other big companies during the years.

They spent a lot of money in this record, for this money 30 of us amateurs together could run a whole season.....set a record which is relative to the base (race car/engine) they got in short words
.... "A JOKE"

, and than they get from the press the main title line in the Newspaper....
for a joke.

The press is bothering the whole speed community - in 2001 Jim True run a 1 liter car in FIA, set a record faster than this 3 liter Honda record, a real 400 kph record - was there one word in the press - no - because it was set by simple amateur racer - who cares - it was not set by a big company, who is paying my next vacation in the caribic.

A other example is the Toyota Prius, they set a another slow speed record - the press collapsed nearly finding the right words for this unbelievable record - that years before a father/son team from Salt Lake City drove a home built hybrid passenger car to a similar speed -
not one word.....

What's bother us - that the press only reacts than, when the big big money rules - the amateurs - who cares - if we set records they call us the "crazy" people on the salt, if Honda set a record...it's very serious attempt.....the amateurs comes only in the news when a reporter can earn the big money - telling a headline news about a serious accident - but only than if this press guy can make the big money in his own pocket -he cares not about us, he cares about his bank account.
That there was 2000 other record runs and may be 100 new records - unintrested - who cares....... :evil:

This is the big big problem with this Honda record.........
Pork Pie

Photoartist & Historian & 200 MPH Club Member (I/GL 202.8 mph in the orig. Bockscar #1000)

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
AS IS - AS WRITTEN
« Reply #47 on: July 23, 2006, 04:43:14 PM »
The translation from various languages and dialects around the Real World
 all read about the same as the German you just saw.
I think I see a pattern.

Wanna buy a shirt ?
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
Honda...if you care
« Reply #48 on: July 23, 2006, 04:55:16 PM »
Wanna buy a shirt ?

Shirt....what shirt......I set low budget records...... :wink:
Pork Pie

Photoartist & Historian & 200 MPH Club Member (I/GL 202.8 mph in the orig. Bockscar #1000)

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
SOME PEOPLE AND SOME THINGS
« Reply #49 on: July 23, 2006, 05:12:35 PM »
Quote from: PorkPie
Wanna buy a shirt ?

Shirt....what shirt......I set low budget
records...... :wink:

"Some things are more important to some people than many people think."

dwarner

Honda...if you care
« Reply #50 on: July 23, 2006, 09:56:07 PM »
It seems that if you want coverage you do as others - dedicate some of your budget to wine, dine and clothe the press.

Your dollars may not exceed those of Honda. I remember just last week the lawn mower guy got press. Did he pay for that?

DW

Offline KeithTurk

• Global Moderator
Honda...if you care
« Reply #51 on: July 26, 2006, 06:00:13 PM »
Okay I'm busy working on my junk... so I don't have as much time to read as I should... had to drag this out of the dead pile.... BUT and it's a BIG BUTT....

Just because I don't have the money to set  up my own meet doesn't mean I'm going to sit around here and be jealous, and show malice towards the folks that do.  These folks picked out a FIA record... arranged all this stuff and went  out there and ran their collective butts off... They set a FIA record on the Salt at Bonneville.... I for one would WELCOME the opportunity to convert that "Honorary Title " into a simple membership in the 200mph club... they did the deal... why qualify it...  He should have Membership in good standing... PERIOD...

Keith... ( this coming from a guy who thinks the FIA sucks pond water )
Keith Turk
 D Gas Modified Sports
 246.555 mph

Offline fastesthonda_jim

• Ready to Rock 2003
Honda...if you care
« Reply #52 on: July 27, 2006, 12:05:50 AM »
Okay Jon,

Joe Blow here of Barnyard fame.  I think what is pissing us off (me at least) is the feeling of being used.  As a four season "veteran" of the sport I can only look in awe at the efforts and results of the hundreds of racers and workers who have gone before me and have turned this white stage as the Ultimate Speed Cathedral that it is.

There's a LOT of history here and it "violates protocol" to just come in and buy your way to a record, not for the sake of breaking a record, but only for the sake of the publicity.  It feels to me that my (our) history is being exploited without having walked the walk.  Sort of like those goofy Eco-Tech Speedweek shirts we got last year (or was it 2004?).  Somebody bought the notoriety, which I know you can, but still I'd rather see Joe Blow race cars (mine specifically) on the shirt.  Seems to speak more to the Bonneville "family", if you will.

Jim
2006 SCTA High Points Champeen
2006 Dirty "2" Wrench Of The Year
Bonneville "2" Club 2003
El Mirage Dirty "2"'s 2006
Bonneville Records: G/GS, F/GS (Boy)  G/FS (Girl)
El Mirage Records: F/BFS, F/FS, F/GS, I/FS, I/GS, K/BGS
FIA Records A, II, 8
Unlimited License
300mph line qualified (305.129 best mile speed)
The older half of San Diego's Fastest Couple
2016 Man of Distinction Award
DLRA 2019 Top Speed of The Meet (309.438 Mile - 323.3 GPS)

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
Honda...if you care
« Reply #53 on: July 27, 2006, 02:29:42 PM »
Joe Blow here of Barnyard fame

So, Jim, I read your comment - and it looks for me that you understood my note - or in other words - you can agree.

So I can say, my English was clear enough that reader of this chat can understand them.

Thanks for your note - I was at first not sure if I brought my opinion (and I think a lot of other peoples mind) in the right way.
Pork Pie

Offline jimmy six

Honda...if you care
« Reply #54 on: July 27, 2006, 04:17:44 PM »
BarnYard Jim: Didn't you in reality "Buy" your record...You felt you needed a liner to do it with an engine you felt had the power. "(Very good choices by the way). You did find a car and bought an engine and went about doing what you set out to do.

I can say the same thing. I built a car and raced it for years. A red hat was not even in the picture. But with a lot of help from an engine owner a hat was accomplished; in fact 2. Did I mention the added 5 years?

I see "Bought" hats every year. I see competitors living the dream of their youth from the 50's, 60's & 70's. They went to work, rasied their families, and now with the money they saved are making thier dream come true. Much of the time hearing from their wives "you want do what?" They have a car built, call an engine builder, and do it. To some it's the only thing they can do is write the check. I appauld them all. I would like to think they would come back a gain but a lot don't and that's OK.  

We can complain all we want, but they are done we get the real publicity.

My little rant....Keep it comming Keith...J.D.
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline DrofRockology

• my blog
Honda...if you care
« Reply #55 on: July 27, 2006, 04:38:47 PM »
what it really boils down to is, the 200 mph club will welcome the driver with open arms.

which they should do with everyone who sets a land speed record, regardless of hitting the club's minimums set my a jealous and stumbling board of directors who suddenly realized that the club ain't the same old club when they got in and they weren't so exclusive anymore.

bought record or not, the driver should be inducted into the two club!

so should all of the other drivers who have been snubbed by the board's record minimums.

it seems i remember family members of board members getting in the club on minimums in engine class a that was established at a speed lower than the c record.

i'm sure that had nothing to do with the fact that the board knew a team within that board was going to go after that record.

but, his name isn't spelled g-i-l-l-e-t-t-e!

i'm so disgusted with the 200 mph club i no longer own any caps, decals, plaques, or any other club merchandise.

the 2-club isn't the club it used to be after the debacle of the early 1990's.

somebody with some BALLS needs to correct this!

oh, i forgot, i'm talking about the 200 mph club board of directors.  

no balls there!
gregory w. gillette
aka: monty wolf (not monte wolfe)

"fear is never boring!"

read all about it: http://montywolf.blogspot.com/

Offline jimmy six

Honda...if you care
« Reply #56 on: July 27, 2006, 06:19:17 PM »
Drof: Geesh, tell how you really feel! ! ! I don't know who you are, but you must have a Red Hat.
Do you show up at the 2 Club meeting on the salt? Have you campaigned for a 2 club office? They always need new board member.
Have you written letters to the board with your opinion? Kathy is always looking for articles for the 2 club newsletter.
It's real nice to have a place to B----h and stay anonymous
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline DrofRockology

• my blog
Honda...if you care
« Reply #57 on: July 27, 2006, 06:38:50 PM »
Quote from: jimmy six
Drof: Geesh, tell how you really feel! ! ! I don't know who you are, but you must have a Red Hat.
<snip>
It's real nice to have a place to B----h and stay anonymous

well, it seems we're all anonymous, doesn't it?

all i see is a screen name for your account.

i guess spelling my last name in the previous post wasn't a good enough clue.

read it again!

thanks to the two club's board of directors, there is only one gillette in the club when there should be two!

i was a member of the 2-club before most of the present members.  you know, back when it really acknowledge a driver's accomplishments.

and no, i don't own any more red hats!  although, i'm thinking about buying one and marking a big red slash across it in the international symbol for "NO".

do i sound pissed?

you bet your ass i'm pissed!
gregory w. gillette
aka: monty wolf (not monte wolfe)

"fear is never boring!"

read all about it: http://montywolf.blogspot.com/

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
Fooled me
« Reply #58 on: July 27, 2006, 06:52:38 PM »
Boy, I sure don't get this Dr. After looking at all the current records in "C" they look pretty good to me. The only "open" C records are in the new Rear Engine Modified Roadster class. BFRMR @ 275, FRMR @ 265, BGRMR @ 250, & GRMR @ 240. The other open records in "C" are ps @ 240, BFMS @ 260, BGMS @ 240, Classic PS @ 220. Looks like the 2 Club Board did a fair job (even if I don't think we should have added rear engine modifieds, we have enough classes!!).
So what does todays board have to do with Greg getting in back in '78?
What am I missing?  :roll:

You may not know me but at least I sign my name.
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline fastesthonda_jim

• Ready to Rock 2003
Honda...if you care
« Reply #59 on: July 27, 2006, 07:18:57 PM »
Well unless you mined your own Bauxite and/or iron ore, (with your bare hands BTW) then forged your own metal from kilns made of bricks you cast with adobe you dug, you in some way or another "bought" your record.  It's just at which level you "need" to feel righteous.

My rant was about my perception of the motives.  Of course my motives are "holier" but that's another subject.  It seems theirs, Honda and Toyota and for the last few years Chevrolet, are simply for the publicity rather than for the personal satisfaction.  In that regard, I feel a bit used.

Do I mind the big semi's and the teams with matching uniforms?  Not really.  Burkland shows up like that and no one (I think) minds.  Carl Heap, (rest his soul) the same thing.

But teams like Toyota, or the Buckeye Bums.... While I don't wish them harm, I certainly don't pray for their success.

Rant off...

Jim
2006 SCTA High Points Champeen
2006 Dirty "2" Wrench Of The Year
Bonneville "2" Club 2003
El Mirage Dirty "2"'s 2006
Bonneville Records: G/GS, F/GS (Boy)  G/FS (Girl)
El Mirage Records: F/BFS, F/FS, F/GS, I/FS, I/GS, K/BGS
FIA Records A, II, 8
Unlimited License
300mph line qualified (305.129 best mile speed)
The older half of San Diego's Fastest Couple
2016 Man of Distinction Award
DLRA 2019 Top Speed of The Meet (309.438 Mile - 323.3 GPS)