Author Topic: Honda...if you care  (Read 27210 times)

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
Honda...if you care
« on: July 18, 2006, 09:32:51 PM »
It seems our boys at BARF1 managed a 2 way pass of 354.975 kph (220.571 mph) today (7-18-06). They said it's a little tougher to crack 400 kph but it's still their goal.
see if this link works. http://www.tsn.ca/auto_racing/news_story.asp?ID=171601&hubName=auto_racing  :oops:
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline Bob Beatty

Honda on the salt
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2006, 09:54:39 PM »
Gosh, it looked so easy on paper!
Bob Beatty

There is no such thing as too much horsepower
 338.954 MPH
 B/BFL

landracing

Honda...if you care
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2006, 10:02:53 PM »
Yep, on paper it should go....

but the article meant nothing to me really, except the one part where he stated it was slippery... That worries me with three weeks to go basically for Speedweek...

Jon

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
honda if you care
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2006, 10:08:25 PM »
They also spun at 234 mph on those big wide tires
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
MONEY TALKS
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2006, 10:23:30 PM »
Can anyone explain how Mike Cook blessed that slow speed with membership in the Bonneville 200 Club ?
With the SCTA existing records all faster, how slow can the minimum be and how low have the standards become ?

RETRASH!!!!
It sounds like they are backing up.

It is a movie stunt made up to look legitimate.
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

landracing

Honda...if you care
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2006, 12:36:41 AM »
Jack,

This post is now edited to the following.

Yes HOW can MIKE COOK allow entrance into the 200 mph club as stated???

"It was also particularly gratifying to be welcomed into Bonneville?s 200mph club by Mike Cook."

Article here.
http://www.hondaracingf1.com/en/index.php?section=8&item=1627&type=1

There are a couple problems with that, I asked to allow BUB meet motorcycle speeds be allowed acceptance into the 200 club, and response was currently they are only allowing SCTA, BNI and USFRA meets... They had to surveye the inspection process and BUB meet process before they would allow records to be allowed for 200 club...

So again how the heck can they allow this dude into the club... We will need an official from the 200 club to give us the scoop on this.

Also lists Cook as current president of SCTA...

Jon

Jon

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
That is what it said.
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2006, 12:40:45 AM »
I will gather up the article again.
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."

landracing

Honda...if you care
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2006, 12:42:21 AM »
Jack,

Never mind, see my post above yours...

Jon

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
Can you hear
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2006, 12:46:50 AM »
Me screaming ?
The World's oldest Profession has some competition from a group I was hoping was maturing.
That is how a media circus can get out of hand in the hands of irresponsible people and the sport will suffer for it.
Is it time to get the Landspeed Committee together again to respond as they did with the Budweiser stunt ?

landracing

Honda...if you care
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2006, 12:57:13 AM »
Assuming they are still running the 2.4L motor. they would run in class F/FL which minimum is 223 mph and F/GL is 229. Two way average is short of them numbers anyways, they averaged 220.xxx....

Jon

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
3L ?
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2006, 12:58:51 AM »
I thought I read 3L.

landracing

Honda...if you care
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2006, 01:05:26 AM »
IT would still be in the same class either 2.4 or 3.00 liter depeding on which way the 3.0 went...

3.0 and under F class
Mininum speeds to get into 2 club
223 Fuel, 229 gas

3.0 and larger E class
mininum speeds to get into 2 club
253 Fuel, 236 gas

Jon

Offline Malcolm UK

Questions raised
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2006, 07:49:36 AM »
Number of comments and questions do arise.

SCTA and FIA sanction for this event is good news for those of us who wish to see a consensus not a division.

Did the SCTA sanction a Formula 1 class whilst our backs were turned?  If so what did they set the minimum at - 220 mph?  What are the rules - what engine can you run, 1 year old, 10 year old - let me out there with a 1.5 litre turbo, but dry the salt first please.  

By the way did they fudge the body width to become a 'lakester'?  Nice mood photos do not make it clear if they narrowed to inside the wheel faces.

BARF1 should have stayed on tarmac for real figures so far worth bragging about (see October '05).

The vehicle would have to run as 'fuel' as the chemical concotion in the tank would surely not have been served by your normal race 'gasoline' supplier.

And finally, why so little favourable comment on the NASCAR LSR - at least that was an American vehicle with an American driver and hey the speeds were about the same so far.
Malcolm UK, Derby, England.

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
WILL WONDERS EVER CEASE ?
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2006, 09:59:54 AM »
NASCAR is faster but they didn't buy into the program.
 Does that surprise you ?
 IRL runs racing lap speeds that are faster.
Real F1 that runs within their own rules run faster.

" Anything that can be bought will be sold to somebody.
Like the World's oldest Profession, all that remains to be negotiated is the price." :wink:

Wanna buy a shirt ?

Offline Pat Kinne / Salt201

• Global Moderator
200 MPH CLUB ENTRY
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2006, 10:47:11 AM »
The by-laws of the Bonneville 200 MPH Club as written call for membeship for an FIA Certified Record setting driver.  The BAR Honda met that requirement by setting an FIA A 2-8 record speed of 220.8 MPH.
As an on site representative of the club Mike Cook took the opportunity to welcome van der Merwe into the B'Ville 200 MPH Cllub as an honorary member.  Pat Kinne, Board of Directors