Author Topic: Tires for 200 and 300 MPH  (Read 9948 times)

K38

Tires for 200 and 300 MPH
« on: July 14, 2006, 02:07:01 PM »
Where do you get tires for the salt that are safe for 200 and 300 MPH?  The last I heard they were hard to come by.  Is Goodyear back to making them, or can you use the front tires from other forms of racing.  Sorry for such a basic question.

Dwight

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2006, 02:38:42 PM »
Go to the Goodyear web site, they have LSR tires rated to 300 mph.
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline Chad

• New folks
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2006, 07:01:43 PM »
I just bought a set of four from Carrol Shelby the western Goodyear race tire distributor they are out of the 23 inch but had 25 26  and 28 inch in stock

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2006, 10:55:58 PM »
Chad, just a heads up, there is a right and wrong way to mount the tires.  Although the tires have no arrows, the serial numbers (not the D numbers) need to face the drivers side on the front, and face the passenger side on the rear.  I confirmed this with both Carrol Shelby Tire, and Competition Tire (the national Goodyear rep) who both said the same thing.  I think the number will start with a 5, and should be near the bead, although I have one set with the numbers up in a box simillar to the D number.................................
Bob Drury

LittleLiner

Re: Tires for 200 and 300 MPH
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2006, 05:55:44 PM »
I am interested in the part of the original posted question about front tires.  

Quote from: K38
. . . or can you use the front tires from other forms of racing.  (?) . . . Dwight

Can anyone address the issue of using front tires, like Goodyear Frontrunners, on cars that run lower speeds and don't need a 300mph tire?  Current front runners are available for 15 and 17 inch wheels and there used to be tires for 5 inch wheels.  Is it advisable to use any or all of these on LSR cars?  Is it safe to use them as drive tires as well as 'steering' tires?

Considering the relatively low demand for LSR tires, it is understandable that the Goodyear size selection is somewhat limited and the prices are around $400 a pop.  

For cars running speeds from the high hundreds but under 300mph, what are the options?   I have not been able to locate V or W rated tires that have the narrow profile suitable for LSR.  And even those speed ratings are cut off at 200mph.

The small displacement gas coupe class I am building for is able to run H series street tires.  But (hopefully) I plan to eventually move up in speed classes so finding a suitable tire for higher speeds is something I am interested in.

Any thoughts and/or facts about Frontrunners on LSR cars?

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
Tires
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2006, 06:23:01 PM »
Rich Fox and JD Tone run tires other the Goodyear and MT's. With everyone at the lakes you might need to wait until monday for details. JD has gone over 200 on his. :D
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2006, 10:43:57 PM »
L.L., The difference between the standard front runner and the LSR front runner is in the number of sidewall plys:  two versus six.  The standard two ply are not meant to take any side loads, such as a spin.  Saying that, if you are running a roadster with a small block, you would probably be okay.  Add a blown iron hemi to the roadster, and you better step up.
Bob Drury

egroce11

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2006, 12:21:55 AM »
Quote from: Bob Drury
Chad, just a heads up, there is a right and wrong way to mount the tires.  Although the tires have no arrows, the serial numbers (not the D numbers) need to face the drivers side on the front, and face the passenger side on the rear.  I confirmed this with both Carrol Shelby Tire, and Competition Tire (the national Goodyear rep) who both said the same thing.  I think the number will start with a 5, and should be near the bead, although I have one set with the numbers up in a box simillar to the D number.................................

Would the mounting as mentioned above be the same for a front wheel drive car or just the the other way around?
thanks  Ernie

Offline Malcolm UK

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2006, 10:08:20 AM »
Whatever tyres individuals choose it pays to learn a little from others.

Look at the tyres used at 520 to 530 kph on the Castrol Edge jet LSR car and the Primetime 'split second' jet LSR car.  Then make an informed decision.
Malcolm UK, Derby, England.

Offline turborick

• Go as fast as we can with as little as we can
    • http://www.bonnevillestreamliner.com
Need LSR Tires
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2006, 12:09:19 PM »
If anyone knows of someone with a pair of 23x5 goodyear LSR tires
for sale please let me know. Goodyear is out of them :(

Thanks Rick
rick@turborick.com
661-944-4368
Rick Yacoucci

The new Nebulous Theorem 3.5 #788
http://www.bonnevillestreamliner.com

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
DON'T GET IT WRONG
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2006, 12:47:05 PM »
The direction for use of a HI Speed bias tire is determined by the overlap of the tread material as it is wrapped around the casing before curing in the mold.
When used on a drive wheel, the free end should be to the front as it contacts the ground so the power doesn't try to open the joint.
On a free wheel the power is applied from the ground to get it spinning and the resistance provided by the braking if any is the same, so the tire would be mounted to run the other way.
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
Re: Need LSR Tires
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2006, 01:03:59 PM »
Quote from: turborick

Thanks Rick
rick@turborick.com
661-944-4368

I just called Oak City for you, but it sounds like you had called right before me.  Will the 24 inch not fit??  You plan on going faster anyway :D .

c ya, Sum

egroce11

Re: Need LSR Tires
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2006, 01:20:34 PM »
Quote from: turborick

Thanks Rick
rick@turborick.com
661-944-4368

I just e-mailed you aboutsometires and left one number, here is my cell
801 598-4982   I have some23 inchers.
Ernie

Offline turborick

• Go as fast as we can with as little as we can
    • http://www.bonnevillestreamliner.com
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2006, 02:10:23 PM »
Thanks guys the tires I need are the real Land speed tires not the front runners the numbers are D2028 or D2283

Thanks Rick
Rick Yacoucci

The new Nebulous Theorem 3.5 #788
http://www.bonnevillestreamliner.com