Author Topic: Elvington: 265.4 on a Busa today  (Read 23475 times)

Offline Bob Jr.

Re: evington
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2006, 03:04:34 PM »
Quote from: bbb
Quote from: Glen
Now let's see him do it on the salt, the real test and venue  :o

how, why and who deemed Bonneville the only venue worthy of being called the true test? how did this become "fact?"

The great salt god has humbled many an expert.  Running there is like no other place in the US. 8)  8)  8)
Bob Sights Jr.

"Speed is no object price is the problem"

Gear Grinder

624 G/BSTR 171.173 El Mirage

627 H/BFMR Bville 176.787, H/BGMR Bville 181.089 G/BFMR El Mirage 180.10, G/BGMR El Mirage 187.534

"Worlds fastest to the cooler of beer"

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
evington
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2006, 03:46:54 PM »
Bob
Well said, how many drag racers were going to show how it was done.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Malcolm UK

Nature of the course
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2006, 03:52:51 PM »
I hope that we will all be told how the course was laid out for this stunning motorcycle run.  The airfield has a 1.9 mile runway end to end with no safe overshoot to the west and rough grass before a rural road to the east.

Even the Brits want to know as under the right conditions and backed up this looks to be a contender for the UK wheeldriven motorcycle speed.

Apart from less grip, (possible) surface roughness, corrosive properties, higher altitude, and one way runs .......... what does a normal Bonneville event offer to someone already at this high speed other than the name?
Malcolm UK, Derby, England.

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
Elvington: 265.4 on a Busa today
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2006, 04:04:16 PM »
Apart from less grip, (possible) surface roughness, corrosive properties, higher altitude, and one way runs .......... what does a normal Bonneville event offer to someone already at this high speed other than the name?

Malcolm - the offer of Bonneville - a big (speed) family party for one week with a big fun "effect" - if someone says to me at Bonneville - welcome home - my answer can be only - yup, right, I'm back home.

Fantastic to meet so much friends, all with the same goal, going fast -     a record is than the "cream spot on the top"...... :D  :wink:
Pork Pie

Photoartist & Historian & 200 MPH Club Member (I/GL 202.8 mph in the orig. Bockscar #1000)

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
Re: Nature of the course
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2006, 04:06:42 PM »
Quote from: Malcolm UK

I think you've got it!
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
Re: Nature of the course
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2006, 05:08:42 PM »
Quote from: Malcolm UK

1.  Knowing you averaged the speed over at least one mile (not through a trap).

2.  Knowing you have a vehicle that will average that speed over that distance (takes a whole other motor/strategy to make something live that long vs. through a short trap).

3. Knowing you averaged the speed over 2 runs.  And some years lately the runs have even been in the opposite direction if they are able to safely do that (sorry, but not in the same day unless you want to rent the salt)

4. Knowing you get to run wide open much longer :D .

5. knowing all the other things you mentioned.

But Malcolm you already knew all of that.

This is not to take anything away from the 265 mph run over there.  That is a phenomenal achievement and I'm very impressed :!:  :!:  :!: , just under a different environment.

c ya,  Sum

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
Re: evington and the Flat Earth Society
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2006, 06:35:57 PM »
Quote from: Glen
Bob
Well said, how many drag racers were going to show how it was done.

I retired from Drag racing myself in 1975 at the age of 29.
I entered Bonneville when I was 30.
Should I be asking anybody ?
I guess I don't get it. :wink:
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline joea

« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2006, 10:59:21 PM »
awesome runs.........

the Bonn folks arent nayayers............

but I do have to mention.......maintaining
a speed for 132 ft..........is different than
maintaining the speed for 5280 ft........

that bbb is the difference..............

how long was the speed trap at Elvington....?

interesting that they picked up 20 mph+ across the
board...........

tailwind...?

where are the results......would like to see the difference
in the two way runs..........

Joe :)

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
TOGETHER AGAIN
« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2006, 11:13:02 PM »
The meaningless comparisons will soon quiet when all the "Roostering" is done.
 But it is really never done because their is no comparison unless you declare yourself
 to be on top or everybody runs under the same rules.
That can be fixed.  :wink:
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."

stayt`ie

« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2006, 03:40:02 AM »
you might as well let these airfield jockies have there day in the sun, because the time will come when there speed will be limited by the length of the track :roll: ,,,  not a problem on the salt  :)

Offline bbb

• Aerodynamically Challenged
  • JorNic Motorsports
    • JorNic Motorsports, Charlottesville, Va.
« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2006, 10:20:31 AM »
now you mention it, it may be the 257 bike. it was posted as if it were the 265 bike on sh.org by one of the UK guys. sorry for the confusion.
and abck to my question, if the goal of pure outright speed is the pursuit, then why would you want to fight marginal traction, weather, long lines and grumpy volunteers?

both hands on the rod and the reel is taught.... :D

Offline sickracer

« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2006, 10:23:06 AM »
Quote from: bbb
and abck to my question, if the goal of pure outright speed is the pursuit, then why would you want to fight marginal traction, weather, long lines and grumpy volunteers?

I hope you are staying in  VA and not coming to the salt to be one of the complainers instead of helpers!!!!

both hands on the rod and the reel is taught.... :D

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
REASTOUNDING
« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2006, 10:42:55 AM »
"Events, like performances deserve a careful look so as to learn from those mistakes.
To not admit those mistakes is to be doomed to be satisfied to repeat them.
Some will never be satisfied except to repeat mistakes and others hope to improve the methods.
Making a real contribution is not just adding to the weight."

Offline Larry Forstall

« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2006, 12:08:41 PM »
265.4 is an amazing speed. Traps in the video appear very short. Why is GPS always higher? Crosswind on Sat. tailwind on Sun. Nobody went as fast into the wind on the return. Two-way was 247, not the fastest record. I think Stayt'ie has it right, Bonneville distance will win eventually.

Offline mtkawboy

« Reply #29 on: July 13, 2006, 12:29:23 PM »
An amazing speed to be sure but being a Bonneville fan it means little to me personally. Out of curiousity under the best of hard salt, wind and weather , what do the salt experts feel is possable if everything is working perfectly on the run? This in no way is a put down of what was acomplished in England, it just isnt the same venue. Just a handicapped fan, not a racer so blast away if you feel the need to.