Author Topic: Driver Cockpit Safety  (Read 3441 times)

Offline TheSteelMan23

• New folks
Driver Cockpit Safety
« on: January 29, 2014, 02:00:33 PM »
Hello All. I have been thinking it might be a good idea for there to be a topic in the Safety section that is directly related to the immediate cockpit layout around the driver. For instance things such as seat design and preferences (such as padding or not), seat belt preference and design, off the shelf seats vs custom made, head/neck, arm/leg restraints, windshield and canopy, driver compartment ventilation, etc.  Also maybe some input as to fire suppression and chute release layouts. I feel much of this information is relevant to streamliners and door slammers alike. Pretty much anything that can come in direct contact with the driver.

I have been wondering about this since SW 2013 and the two incidents that happened there. The people that have had, and have seen major incidents on the salt can hopefully share information that is so crucial to people such as myself that do not have the experience of others. Hopefully we can get some good pictures that can go along with some do's and don'ts.

Thanks,
I have two speeds... Fast, and "What the hell was that!"

Offline dw230

Re: Driver Cockpit Safety
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2014, 02:15:48 PM »
First off - mount the seat belts as required and use them as designed by the manufacturer.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2014, 03:13:46 PM »
Keeping them as short as possible to limit stretch.  Look at all the rules, remembering those are the minimums.... build it stronger and better, no one plans to crash, but it happens.
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline tauruck

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2014, 09:43:06 PM »
Are anti submarine belts mandatory for LSR?.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2014, 10:29:58 PM »
5 Point required on all cars, 7 point if you are reclined... of course arm, head and neck restraint systems on both and vehicles with doors need door nets... legs must be restrained from leaving the vehicle as well.
Anyone contemplating LSR should have rule books, read them over and over...

Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Ted Hlokoff

• New folks
  • sc GTS and TT GTS
    • Viper Nation
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2014, 03:28:51 PM »
I would recommend removing flammable pieces from the cockpit - the pieces that are unnecessary suck as the roof liner, carpets.  In Production classes door panels and dashboards are required to be retained, although they can have facsimilies made from nonflammable materials.
I sucessfully street raced for 25 years (Gov stole drag strip).  I built Show and Race cars for 10 years professionally.  Have been doing well racing Half, Mile and Open Road Rally last few years.  I have many Mopars in my yard, 2 Vipers, 3 Stealth TTs, 440 Duster, 340 Demon, and a dozen project cars.