Author Topic: Cubic inch question  (Read 25708 times)

dwarner

Cubic inch question
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2006, 11:45:01 PM »
Not much of the fluid measuring going on at the car side. I drink most all fluids that enter the impound area.

DW

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
Re: FORGOT ?
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2006, 11:56:05 PM »
Quote from: JackD
JD
You forgot fluid displacement. :wink:

Getting the inspector out of the way is the displacement fluid I was talking about. :wink:
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline jimmy six

Cubic inch question
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2006, 09:59:07 AM »
Fluid is measured in CC's in a different area of inspection.

Real racing engines are measured in Cubic Inches....(that will get 'em) :twisted:
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
cubic inch
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2006, 10:16:21 AM »
JD
Now Dan will have to do the math conversion with all of these MC engines in cars.  2 beers = cc's or is that Cu/In's, maybe he can get a biker to help him.  :twisted:
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
AH THE BIKES
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2006, 10:26:19 AM »
The bikes allow more liquid to be consumed per class limit because they are friendlier.
 The larger the class, he more that it represents because they are more important.
Is that friendly or what ?
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."

aswracing

Re: Cubic inch question
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2006, 10:33:53 AM »
Quote from: Randy Williams

bore X bore X stroke X #of cylinders X .7854 = CID

4.060 X 4.060 X 3.48 X 8 X .7854 = 360.42274

That formula actually makes it come out ever so slightly bigger than it really is.

Cylindrical displacement is actually pi x r^2 x h, or in piston engine terms it's pi x (bore / 2)^2 x stroke. The above formula uses bore^2 instead of r^2, which then creates a divisor of 4, and the .7854 constant comes from pi / 4. But that's a rounded figure, the real answer is .78539816, and they rounded up, so the result comes out little bigger than the motor really is. But not much ...

3.1415926539 x 2.030^2 x 3.48 x 8 = 360.4219ci

That's probably inside the resolution of the measuring tools. A .001 error in the bore size measurement makes a bigger difference, and I don't think there's any torque plates in place when the measurement is made in impound so there could easily be that much error. So this slight inaccuracy probably doesn't matter.

If I remember right (no rule book in front of me), the formula the bike guys use for ci to cc has a constant that's even farther off, and it actually could come into play. They should be using 2.54^3, that's an exact conversion factor with no error. What does it say in the bike rules?

Offline jimmy six

Cubic inch question
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2006, 11:09:18 AM »
When a M/C engine is coverted run in a real race car, a miracle occurs and it leaves the lala land of CC's and now demands that it be measued in the real world of CI's.

I do not know how this happens but these engines actually speak to Dan and I. They also speek special languages..They speak to Dan in the language called "anybrand" and to me they only speak in "mgd"..These are special tongues only Dan and I can interpret, so sorry you all can't share in them...............J.D.  :D
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
SPECIAL RULES FOR SPECIALS
« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2006, 11:35:37 AM »
If you want to go really fast, a bike motor is in your future.
If you are actually on a bike, half fast is good enough as we have seen. :wink:

dwarner

Cubic inch question
« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2006, 12:15:28 PM »
I have found over the years that when dumping fluid into a cylinder to measure the cc Budweiser is put to best use.

All others go to the paper pushers.

DW

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
THE OBJECT IS
« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2006, 12:20:48 PM »
Keep the Tech guy oiled enough and the rest will take care of it's self.
A street bike just went 265.4 and is doing the turnaround .
More of that oil will soon be needed. :wink:

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
cubic inch
« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2006, 12:53:44 PM »
Never ever take anything to drink from Joe Amo, it's contaminated with urine, his way of thining oil to be friction less.  :twisted:
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
FAST SHAPES
« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2006, 01:22:24 PM »
The shape of the bike is fairly stock and side winds are a limiting factor.
He estimates 270 in the other direction and stopping is another adventure.
STAY TUNED (I know he does)

Who was that masked man ?

Offline jimmy six

Cubic inch question
« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2006, 01:44:53 PM »
If the M/C is not owned or ridden by JN, how is he going to put a faster speed on his sign off here on the site? J.D. where is this happening? Is the time ofr a full mile?  Good Luck and, if I can say it, God Bless Him

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
All I can tell you now
« Reply #28 on: July 11, 2006, 01:55:06 PM »
is the location is very near the center of the seat pucker and goes by really fast.
As for the "Fraction Control", it is him.