Author Topic: My '59 Enfield /Indian 750cc Chief High Compression Build  (Read 161870 times)

Offline Scottie J

• New To LSR But Not Going Fast
Re: My '59 Enfield /Indian 750cc Chief High Compression Build
« Reply #255 on: February 16, 2014, 10:20:21 AM »
Do you guys think I could make just a single one of these shocks work for me?  Obviously I don't want to overload the shock, but I also only plan on a bike/rider weight of 550-575#.  If you don't think one will be enough, I do have an idea to mount both shocks centrally like a mono shock, but it will be tight I think.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/13-330mm-Rear-Air-Shock-Absorber-Yamaha-Zuma-125-BWS-125-Moped-Black-silver-/180770535718?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2a16c37926&vxp=mtr

Scottie J

Offline Briz

• Custom cycle developments
« Reply #256 on: February 16, 2014, 10:24:57 AM »
I think you'd be better off adding mounts to the swingarm to take conventional twin-shocks. That monoshock, without its linkage assy will make for a huge amount of suspension travel. You're not going motocrossing, 2-3" of travel is plenty.

Offline Scottie J

« Reply #257 on: February 16, 2014, 01:13:07 PM »
Well if that's the case, I'm a little bummed that so many people gave so many contradictory answers.  Now I have 2 big ugly gussets welded to the frame and now I'm being told I shouldn't have done it and I should have went about it differently?  I feel like I just destroyed a piece of history.    :-(

Scottie J

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #258 on: February 16, 2014, 01:33:34 PM »
Well if that's the case, I'm a little bummed that so many people gave so many contradictory answers. ...Scottie J 

Hey it is the Internet and opinions come and go and maybe all have something to offer one way or the other  :-).  Read them and then come up with "your" plan and go with it and consider that 5 years from now it might of evolved 180 degrees. 

I've got hundreds or hours of work into my lakester that I'm getting ready to cut out with the plasma cutter in an hour or so and will be making a huge change in direction.  These things happen  :cry:.  If you go down the road to making something work on the salt figure you are going to be modifying it so that it will never serve another purpose and it won't most likely ever return to its original condition. 

If you decide it is best to move the shocks (and I agree that aero is first and everything else takes a back seat to it) then cut out the new mounts and grind the welds down and you won't ever know you put them in there.

Good luck,

Sum

Offline Scottie J

« Reply #259 on: February 16, 2014, 03:07:56 PM »

Hey it is the Internet and opinions come and go and maybe all have something to offer one way or the other  :-).  Read them and then come up with "your" plan and go with it and consider that 5 years from now it might of evolved 180 degrees. 

I've got hundreds or hours of work into my lakester that I'm getting ready to cut out with the plasma cutter in an hour or so and will be making a huge change in direction.  These things happen  :cry:.  If you go down the road to making something work on the salt figure you are going to be modifying it so that it will never serve another purpose and it won't most likely ever return to its original condition. 

If you decide it is best to move the shocks (and I agree that aero is first and everything else takes a back seat to it) then cut out the new mounts and grind the welds down and you won't ever know you put them in there.

Good luck,

Sum

This was the exact conclusion that I've come to.  It's not what I wanted to do but I think I'm stuck.  No big deal, you live and learn, just not looking forward to cutting those gussets off, it too long enough just trying to cut them initially.    :-o   But I'm beginning to wonder, how important IS rear suspension on the salt?  I know I've seen pics of Salt bikes that were rigid chassis.  How rough is the actual surface of The Salt?   Should I consider making some custom adjustable rigid struts?  Or should I find a way to mount those adjustable shocks I posted in in Reply 255?  I don't want to come across as clueless, I've built handfuls of classic hot rods, but when it comes to this Salt Aero stuff, well I am clueless.  Seems like every time I read something new on aeros it's almost contradictory to what I read the last.

So needless to say I'm a little confused.  This doesn't affect my motivation to build this bike at all, but I do agree with what you said Sumner.  I just need to take every thing that I've read and come to my own conclusion. Live, learn and build one season at a time.    :-D

Scottie J

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #260 on: February 16, 2014, 03:15:02 PM »
SJ   remember---you have no seat time - YET- on salt---as Sum said  It got to be ---YOURS --- you are the one who has to make it work.  Leave it in there, run it draw your own conclusion ---do what it takes to get on the SALT   then modify---may save one or two years as you are going to change it any way.  UNless you are running PP then you have fewer options!!
« Last Edit: February 17, 2014, 11:40:03 AM by SPARKY »
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Briz

• Custom cycle developments
« Reply #261 on: February 16, 2014, 04:14:59 PM »
You aint wrong! its a learning-curve all right Scottie!
First time we went, we had twin-shock suspension. It didn't seem to make a whole lot of difference. This time, we made the frame rigid.
Doesn't hurt to have it, but making it rigid, its one less thing to worry about.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2014, 04:16:54 PM by Briz »

Offline Koncretekid

« Reply #262 on: February 16, 2014, 05:03:42 PM »
I googled the following: "motorcycle rear drive dynamics" and got 46,000,000 results in .56 seconds.  Take your pick.
We get too soon oldt, and too late schmart!
Life's uncertain - eat dessert first!

Offline Scottie J

« Reply #263 on: February 16, 2014, 06:24:56 PM »
I googled the following: "motorcycle rear drive dynamics" and got 46,000,000 results in .56 seconds.  Take your pick.

My point exactly.    :-)

Offline panic

• My tech papers
« Reply #264 on: February 17, 2014, 12:47:47 AM »
A mono has another advantage: you can prefab alternate linkage ratios (another set of holes) to play with the travel distance, lbs/inch rate and static height much more easily.

Offline Nortonist 592

• http://www.artfv.com/design/fashion/
« Reply #265 on: February 17, 2014, 02:27:37 AM »
My thoughts on suspension is not to think too hard about it.  The salt is usually smooth and I don't think you'll be making 'Busa H.P. so I wouldn't get hung up on suspension.  My sidecar up until last year was rigid all round and never had a problem even when El Mirage was crap.  Lock it up solid and worry about making power.
Get off the stove Grandad.  You're too old to be riding the range.

Offline Koncretekid

We get too soon oldt, and too late schmart!
Life's uncertain - eat dessert first!

Offline thefrenchowl

« Reply #268 on: February 17, 2014, 08:49:12 AM »
Last 2 times I was at Bonneville, the bike was rigid end...

Smooth ride, but we felt maybe we weren't attaining the speed we should cause of the rigid end and tyre unhooking too often...

So for this year's Speed Week, I've re-fitted the shocks... We'll see...

Draw somewhere what your bike should look like and its contents and go from there.

Deviations are allowed, but in the main, try to steer straight to your design...

Remember. it's your bike and your balls on top of it once running, so just make sure you're happy with it, not what other guys think about it...

Patrick
Flat Head Forever

...What exactly are we trying to do here?...

Offline Old Scrambler

• Going Fast - Slowly
« Reply #269 on: February 17, 2014, 08:59:59 PM »
I LOVE the multi-million chances you have for change :-D

A few pages ago I suggested twin shocks...............but its your choice.  I reason (based on basic readings in suspension engineering) that the duty of shocks and springs is to keep the tire in contact with the surface at all times. BUT.........I have restricted my shock travel to about 2-inches and have them set quite stiff so I have minimal sag when I add my weight.

WE (Dave Murre and myself) made a plan and built accordingly with no direct experience at Bonneville. We were successful with a record on our first trip in 2011. We skipped 2012 (no $$$) and returned for another successful run in 2013. We are building another bike for 2014 and hope to be successful with both bikes.

Plan your work...........and work your plan.  Somebody said that in a text book.
2011 AMA Record - 250cc M-PG TRIUMPH Tiger Cub - 82.5 mph
2013 AMA Record - 250cc MPS-PG TRIUMPH Tiger Cub - 88.7 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc M-CG HONDA CB750 sohc - 136.6 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc MPS-CG HONDA CB750 sohc - 143.005 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc M-CF HONDA CB750 sohc - 139.85 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc MPS-CF HONDA CB750 sohc - 144.2025 mph

Chassis Builder / Tuner: Dave Murre