Author Topic: My '59 Enfield /Indian 750cc Chief High Compression Build  (Read 161874 times)

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
Re: My '59 Enfield /Indian 750cc Chief High Compression Build
« Reply #210 on: February 03, 2014, 11:32:15 AM »
Sumner - I downloaded that spreadsheet when I first joined this forum and I can't get it to work. 

If it won't let you input (is that the problem?) then save it under a different name and open the new one you saved.  I have to do that on one computer but not the other for some reason.  I use Open Office.  Let me know if that doesn't fix the problem.  Also which one are you trying to use?  The Excel 4 speed motorcycle one?

Sumner

Offline Scottie J

• New To LSR But Not Going Fast
« Reply #211 on: February 03, 2014, 11:45:51 AM »
Yes, it won't let me input/change any data.  And yes the Excel 4 speed.  I will try saving it under a different name when I get home tonight.  Thanks.

Scottie

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
« Reply #212 on: February 03, 2014, 12:09:30 PM »
Yes, it won't let me input/change any data.  And yes the Excel 4 speed.  I will try saving it under a different name when I get home tonight.  Thanks.

Scottie

I was able to download that one onto a computer that didn't already have it last night and it worked after saving it.  If that still doesn't work let me know and send me an e-mail address and I'll try attaching it to an e-mail for you,

Sumner

Offline Scottie J

« Reply #213 on: February 03, 2014, 01:33:27 PM »

Scottie

I was able to download that one onto a computer that didn't already have it last night and it worked after saving it.  If that still doesn't work let me know and send me an e-mail address and I'll try attaching it to an e-mail for you,

Sumner

Ok thanks!

Offline Scottie J

« Reply #214 on: February 03, 2014, 09:55:40 PM »
Sumner - No luck with that spreadsheet.  PM sent.    :-)

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
« Reply #215 on: February 04, 2014, 01:22:03 AM »
Sumner - No luck with that spreadsheet.  PM sent.    :-)

Sent one in an e-mail to you.  Can anyone else load that one.  I can but maybe it is for another reason,

Sum

Offline Koncretekid

« Reply #216 on: February 04, 2014, 07:10:05 AM »
Sum,
I downloaded it and it works fine for me. I'm on a Mac, and I have M.S.Excel for Mac, 2008, version 12.1.5.
And it agrees with the one I wrote for myself (not knowing at that time that you had already designed one).
Tom
We get too soon oldt, and too late schmart!
Life's uncertain - eat dessert first!

Offline Scottie J

« Reply #217 on: February 04, 2014, 07:27:07 AM »
I have a feeling it has something to do with my browser and anti-virus security settings.    :-(

Offline Koncretekid

« Reply #218 on: February 04, 2014, 08:08:14 AM »
Scottie,
Good to see that you are an early riser!  Too bad about those Broncos  :cry:.
Tom
We get too soon oldt, and too late schmart!
Life's uncertain - eat dessert first!

Offline Scottie J

« Reply #219 on: February 04, 2014, 11:16:27 AM »
Yeah I'm usually out of bed by 5a.   :-)   And the Broncos blew it pretty bad on Sunday.  It was painful to watch.    :roll:

Sumner also emailed me a working version of the spreadsheet this morning.  Thanks again!  I'll try to play around with that tonight.  Trying to get the suspension mocked up today while still looking like I'm working on cars.    8-)

Scottie

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
« Reply #220 on: February 04, 2014, 12:08:07 PM »
Sum,
I downloaded it and it works fine for me. I'm on a Mac, and I have M.S.Excel for Mac, 2008, version 12.1.5.
And it agrees with the one I wrote for myself (not knowing at that time that you had already designed one).
Tom

Thanks that is good to know.  Only problem is that I thought I designed it to specifically not work on those Apple things  :evil:, being an ex-computer store owner that only sold those IBM compatible boxes  :-).

If anyone is having any problems with any of the spreadsheets I've posted I'd like the feedback,

Sum

Offline Scottie J

« Reply #221 on: February 09, 2014, 01:47:30 PM »
I got the chassis loosely put together just to see where I am at and need a little advice.  To mount the shock directly under the frame it will have to mount at the angle it is at in the first picture.  Here's my thought,  if you look at the second pic you can see where the top tube ends and goes into the seat mount area.  I already planned on extending the seat area about 6" or 8" back, so my thought is to bring the shock back and make it more vertical and build a mounting bracket that will extend upward just behind where the top tube ends.  This will put a big hump right in the middle of the original seat area.  I could then just build frame work up around it and raise the seat height a bit.  Suggestions?    :?

Scottie

Offline Old Scrambler

• Going Fast - Slowly
« Reply #222 on: February 09, 2014, 04:59:22 PM »
I am adapting a nearly identical Kawi swingarm to a HONDA CB750 frame.  I will use twin shocks to save room within the frame for an airbox.
2011 AMA Record - 250cc M-PG TRIUMPH Tiger Cub - 82.5 mph
2013 AMA Record - 250cc MPS-PG TRIUMPH Tiger Cub - 88.7 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc M-CG HONDA CB750 sohc - 136.6 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc MPS-CG HONDA CB750 sohc - 143.005 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc M-CF HONDA CB750 sohc - 139.85 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc MPS-CF HONDA CB750 sohc - 144.2025 mph

Chassis Builder / Tuner: Dave Murre

Offline JimL

« Reply #223 on: February 09, 2014, 05:21:29 PM »
You are building too high.  Start with the swing arm level or a little less, and you will finalize your rear suspension as the weight comes on.  Look through this build below, particularly page 4 where you will see how to change the leverage ratio to reduce wheel travel.  It will be your final upper shock location that is the solution, but you cannot decide it at this time.

Set your front forks down to the build height you want for the frame/engine.  As you add weight, you will start sliding the tubes back down through the triple tree to accept the load.  I run my front ends with external stops, allowing the bike (with rider weight) to sit at the line touching the stops.  At speed, under power, you will be off the stops due to aerodynamic vertical center of pressure.  The bike will not settle onto the stops, on decel, until you are well below 100 mph.  I can easily feel when my speed is low enough to sit up and turn out (and sitting up pulls it back off the stops).  It only feels bumpy as I get close to the return road.

If you dont do this, you cannot bring streamlining close enough to the front fender for best effect.

CBR chassis build with shock location pic:
http://www.landracing.com/forum/index.php/topic,10559.0.html

This thread has a pic of how the front fairing is set up, to show why the carefully planned travel limit is worthwhile:
http://www.landracing.com/forum/index.php/topic,9761.0.html

I have had good luck building without tires on the rims, bolting the wheels to my build table through the valve stem holes.  Another helpful trick is to cut about a 6" section out of an old tire, to use as a "spacing check" during your build.  You can tape it to a rim wherever you find yourself working out component positions.  When its time to figure out your front fender mounting, you can put small wood blocks onto it, to be sure you dont violate the fender to tire requirements.

Building them is more fun than riding them!
JimL

« Last Edit: February 09, 2014, 05:23:19 PM by JimL »

Offline Scottie J

« Reply #224 on: February 09, 2014, 07:16:28 PM »
Thanks for that insight JimL.  Unfortunately I am very limited to changes of the front end.  As in, I'm pretty well screwed in changing anything.  LOL   :-D  Truth is that the fork tube actually threads into the top triple tree.  So there is now possible way to lower the fork by fitting the tubes past the top triple tree.  I was actually thinking about what you mentioned about the swing arm being negative.  I know typically this is not the ideal way to gain rake, but I was thinking if I can mount the shock just right, I can lower the bike slightly and get a little rake out of the front end at the same time.  I don't want to go too extreme though as I don't want to motor sitting at a goofy angle.

Scottie