Author Topic: For my fellow lathe owners  (Read 15850 times)

Offline bob

• Sierraville, CA
Re: For my fellow lathe owners
« Reply #30 on: February 08, 2023, 09:53:21 AM »
not just machinery ,  working with my dad at our auto repair shop when I was a kid , trying to find a  vibration in an engine , think it was a late sixties el-camino . standing and leaning over the fender revving up the engine , when  -- whammo-- radiator fan blade broke off , non fan clutch , solid steel blade . it winged by my forehead , put barely a scratch on me , flew up , and stuck itself in the metal roof overhead . it stayed up there for years until a reroof , never leaked . we hung a sign from it  -- if your careless - you may be headless .  to this day I will not stand in the way of rotating things .

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
Re: For my fellow lathe owners
« Reply #31 on: March 21, 2023, 12:56:51 PM »
I have a very nice Moriseki 18 x 42 lathe and the chuck engagement lever is right next to the chuck, I always put the chuck in neutral before I insert the chuck key.

Back before I retired I worked is a number of companies that had very large machine tools and have seen a number of very ugly accidents which resulted in the loss of extremities, small and large. You cannot be to careful!! We are only given a finite number of body parts, they don't grow back so be careful!

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.