Author Topic: G0-Kart class/ records ??  (Read 12416 times)

blastertech70

G0-Kart class/ records ??
« on: June 27, 2006, 08:24:18 PM »
I am a bit confused, a prominent engine builder in the karting word
www.clementsracingengines.com makes claims/advertises a go-kart land speed record of 144.832 mph in 1992 at Bonniville salt flats.

After further investigation I seem to get the understanding that there is "no" accomadations for Go-kart classes and records in the USFRA. I am told and understand that classe rules fall under SCTA-BNI and there is simply no provissions for go-karts.

However " I see that USFRA allow kart racing during "world of speed"and have a speed index of 140 mph max and any speeds that exceed 140 will not receive a time slip and be disqualified.

My question : Is there a current standing go-kart record that is standing from 1992 or is it possable that he eluded the max speed during wold of speed and assumed himself a land speed record of 144.832 ??

Thank everyone

Offline Nortonist 592

• http://www.artfv.com/design/fashion/
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2006, 09:12:12 PM »
Curious post.  I don't think there are kart classes in LSR.  I do know that in England fifteen years ago the 250 shifter karts were topping 170.  Not to mention Capn' Jack McClure with jet kart. What was it?  210?
Get off the stove Grandad.  You're too old to be riding the range.

blastertech70

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2006, 10:27:24 PM »
Nortonist -  My son and I raced sprint clutch/shifter karts for many years through WKA/IKF sanctioned events. Our shifter karts ( 80 & 125cc) karts were capable of 70/80 in sprint trim & 100-125 in laydown trim on the big tracks. The 250cc & unlimiteds are far more cable of the big numbers you mention. The "jet karts" you mention were famous at "broadways bobs" a race track in southern Wisconsin.

Seeing this " land speed record" claim on that particular site got my curiosity up to see what was involved to be involved. Like I stated I have came to a dead end in actually finding a kart class to compete. So naturally I question his claim to a "Land speed record" If it just another "advertising gimmic" from a builder I understand but I was looking for some facts and proof...thanks

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
ASK AND YOU SHALL RECIEVE
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2006, 04:49:21 AM »
Why don't you just ask the person making the claim ?
 They should be happy to answer and then you can tell us.
A GoKart is no more dangerous than a bike except the tires would be a major limiting factor.
There is no official class structure for them in SCTA and I suspect the tire issue would be the major hurdle.
They don't need any more classes or entries so it would be a tough deal and best you should forget it.
USFRA has generated interest in their smaller meets
 with all sorts of non-typical entries and would be the best place to start.
 I think you will find the mark you mentioned was done with them.
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

blastertech70

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2006, 07:47:19 AM »
Jack - Please.... save the sarcasm ( laughing) and give me some credit for trying the simple solution first. The question was asked but no reply was given, I don't personally know the person/builder making the claim. I was just interested in competing against the record if there was such one in existance. I mean no ill feeling I simply what to be a compeitor.

I dont think the tires would be as limiting as you may think. As stated our unlimited shifter kart run 3 digit speeds and for a very long duration what might be the challenge is a treaded tire. Never had a cause to ask any of the kart tire manufacture what the ratings are but I am sure our own sanction body rules have covered the safety issue.

As far as USFRA being full up in classes and forgetting it. It seems if there is a standing record a competitor should be able to compete against it. After all isnt that the base of why we do this ?

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
Well I did thinkI said it that way but
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2006, 11:01:23 AM »
I think their is no reason you should not be all allowed to run.
 I thought I suggested the SCTA was not suited because their program is more than full up.
 USFRA is a better choice for the reasons stated and is the likely source of the number.
 The tires that would do the best would be a hard compound slick with no tread.
 My shop manageR builds and races karts and a member of our club ran one years ago at El Mirage and set a record as a Lalester. That would not be allowed under today's rules.
Sarcastic is a measure of your sensitivity and this is a unforgiving sport.
 I gave you the best information I have and the nose tweak was meant to make you do some thinking also.
Good luck with your effort and I hope you can beat the number on the Salt then I can work to beat you.
THAT IS RACING
Jack

OBTW: I just read it again and kinda said it the way I wanted it and you might have turned it around.
Hey , if you want me to, I will ask the guy with the claim.
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
go cart
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2006, 11:23:35 AM »
That's why we call him NASTY JACK and other words we can't print
Good luck anyway. :twisted:
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
JUST FOR THE RECORD
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2006, 11:33:13 AM »
I have managed to set a few records over the years just to keep Glen awake.
 He really hates it and has developed a real "Old Timers" attitude. Me too.
We both earned our naps and enjoy them.
As a matter of fact, some others around us enjoy it when we nap also. :wink:

LittleLiner

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2006, 11:42:39 AM »
While it can't run in the 140mph range there is a 'kart' that runs at Maxton with a modified Briggs flathead engine that has hit speeds over 107.  There are classes at Maxton for flathead powered modified Karts.  If you want to run a kart with a faster engine you should coordinate that in advance with whatever association you approach be it SCTA, USFRA, ECTA or whatever.  If someone were to run a place like Maxton with a 250cc Rotax super kart they might be spending some air time running a lightweight vehicle without a suspension on the concrete runway.

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
WEALTH
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2006, 11:52:39 AM »
You see, a wealth of good information sometimes
mixed with a bit of a nose tweak based on reality. :wink:

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
go cart
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2006, 12:01:45 PM »
I thought Go Carts were for people that can't balance two wheels and still want bugs in their teeth. Time for my nap. :lol:
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
Re: go cart
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2006, 12:08:23 PM »
Quote from: Glen
I thought Go Carts were for people that can't balance two wheels and still want bugs in their teeth. Time for my nap. :lol:

That same thing applies to Roadsters but we don't talk bad about the "HOLY ONES" do we ? :wink:

Flaircraft

« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2006, 12:55:25 PM »
My cousin used to race a lay-down 250cc shifter kart that could get up to 160 on the straightaway at most road courses.   He actually has had two tires blow due to stress over the course of several years, but the races are 45 minutes long and he is constantly pulling 2+ G's around corners during that time too.  Also the air temp when he blew the tires was over 100 degrees and he was on blacktop which makes things even worse.  I would think that a hard-compound slick would work fine for an LSR kart.

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
FAILURE RATE
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2006, 01:02:55 PM »
A big part of the failure for tires at Bonneville is the heat (power) is concentrated in 1 small spot on what is otherwise a cold tire.
The Salt sucks the heat away so fast after the power is removed that it masks the reason for a failure that you might not have at the same speeds with the whole tire heated and working together.

blastertech70

« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2006, 01:25:25 PM »
JackD & Glen - Im on the floor laughing/enjoying the humor, guys. If I decide to come over for a "fun ride" I would proudly have a drink & grill you some "brats" on the salt between nap times.

Verdict is in:   I just received an e-mail from the Wilkersons of USFRA and explained to me that they run karts for "time only" and keep a ceiling of 139.999 for safety/liability reasons. They do not  keep record or tally speeds and have not for many  years.

Littleliner: Thats smokin along for a flathead. My son has ran a unlimited at "road America" 4 mile track in wisconsin at them speeds, air time is deff a factor.

Thanks everyone for their time/contribution