Author Topic: Seat padding  (Read 12402 times)

Offline azgearhed

• 1979 Z-28 AA/CBGC & AA/CGC & AA/CBGALT
Seat padding
« on: October 20, 2013, 12:47:59 PM »
I have a Kirky full seat in a gas coupe. It is fully upholstered with a 270 degree separate helmet restraint component. I want to remove the upholstery from the bottom portion of the seat to make lap belts easier to use. I am going to leave the covering of the upper seat (helmet) in place. The rule book in 3.D.1 says that a seat shall have "...a maximum of 1" padding". Is it ok to run the lower portion seat in bare aluminum? The seat has torso/rib cage padding that is separate from the cover and is glued on to the seat wings that provides rib cage padding.
BC Racing 1979 Z-28
AA/CBGC Record 251.802 Speed Week 2012
AA/CBGALT Record 255.382 Speed Week 2013
AA/CBGC Record 226.104 El Mirage Sept 2015
AA/CBFALT Record 227.954 El Mirage June 2016
AA/CBGC Record 267.878 Speed Week 2018
AA/CBGALT Record 236.458 El Mirage Nov 2016
It's a lot of work to have fun...

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
Re: Seat padding
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2013, 01:14:00 PM »
Yes, no padding required at all if you choose.
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2013, 03:21:52 PM »
The one thing I might point out - and this I learned from experience - is that if your exhaust is running under your seat and is tucked in close to the bottom of the car, you might want to put some insulation between the seat and the floorboard.

My tucus got a tad warm by the three . . .
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2013, 07:10:44 PM »
I agree with the insulation under the seat.

But in Chris's case I have it on good authority that the warm tucus was from jumping up and down in the seat screaming; "Faster, dammit, faster!"
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Offline azgearhed

• 1979 Z-28 AA/CBGC & AA/CGC & AA/CBGALT
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2013, 09:13:07 PM »
No exhaust under the car, but if you stand too close to the front tires in the lanes, your ankles may get warm
BC Racing 1979 Z-28
AA/CBGC Record 251.802 Speed Week 2012
AA/CBGALT Record 255.382 Speed Week 2013
AA/CBGC Record 226.104 El Mirage Sept 2015
AA/CBFALT Record 227.954 El Mirage June 2016
AA/CBGC Record 267.878 Speed Week 2018
AA/CBGALT Record 236.458 El Mirage Nov 2016
It's a lot of work to have fun...

Offline jacksoni

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2013, 08:37:55 AM »
Though not directly related to your question, the helmet padding is different.  (rule book says "a padded headrest shall be installed to prevent whiplash....." In contrast, roll cage in the vicinity of the of the drivers helmet shall be SFI rated. Rules 3.B.2 and 3.C. The rule book does NOT say the headrest shall be SFI rated, only that it must be padded. The inspectors say (see the opening paragraph of rule 1.A) that "our interpretation is.....The head rest padding must be SFI rated." I do not know if the side padding in a Kirkey or other full containment seat is SFI rated but if it is considered part of the cage somehow it will need to be. The back part of that support which represents the "headrest" will need to be SFI according to this interpretation of the rule. And I asked Steve Davies about it when I was told to change my padding to SFI rated stuff and the answer was "Our interpretation is....." One of those things where rule book clarification would be nice. I guess I should have requested such. My bad.
Jack Iliff
 G/BGS-250.235 1987
 G/GC- 193.550 2021
  G/FAlt- 193.934 2021 (196.033 best)
 G/GMS-182.144 2019

Offline Buickguy3

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2013, 10:35:40 PM »
   This reminds me of some of the rules on the water here in Montana. If you float on the Yellowstone River with an old car innertube. If you float while sitting in the tube it becomes a "conveyance" and you must have a life jacket and it has to have a registration tag. If you float in the water and hold on to it then it is a "floatation device" and you are OK. Who makes this stuff up?

Doug  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
I keep going faster and faster and I don't know why. All I have to do is live and die.
                   [America]

Offline tauruck

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2013, 04:10:29 AM »
My take is that if you start reciting the rule back at the tech inspector making sure you included all the amendments and dot the Is and cross the Ts you'll rattle him. Think about it, the guy is not a racer so he's there because he loves the sport and he's an "official". Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that you should abuse the guy but think about this. He has to project his power and you only get to run via his Say So.  If you crash big enough 1" padding is not going to make a difference in anyone's language. It's timing, whether it's your time or not!.
  On the tucus subject. It's not the tucus you should be worried about. It's huge heatsink IMO. The thing you should be really worried about is that part of the anatomy that decides on whether you get prostrate cancer or not. Frightening,  but I don't know how else to put it. Roasted Chestnuts??? No harm intended or implied. The scrutineers are volunteers and have your safety at heart. :-D I'm wearing a flak jacket and Kevlar helmet so bring it.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2013, 11:12:42 AM »
Only 1 major flaw in your thinking.... maybe 2... the officials are racers... either past or active... I doubt you will ever rattle one of them quoting the book

Padding... during the crash will crush with impacts and therefore loosen your seatbelts... your belts will stretch a lot in a crash... trust me on that one... the hard sfi padding is supposed to crush and absorb some of the blow, but it does not spring right back.  I would not sit on padding other than the thickness of the firesuit.  If you are feeling the heat of something under the floor, consider a better suit.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2013, 11:14:37 AM by Stainless1 »
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2013, 11:57:37 AM »
Stainless......    :cheers:
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline Elmo Rodge

« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2013, 08:25:25 PM »
My seat padding consists of my -20 suit.  :wink: Wayno

Offline Kiwi Paul

« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2013, 09:50:14 PM »
Me Too, Stainless..... :cheers:

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2013, 10:15:09 PM »
likewise :-D
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2013, 10:41:09 PM »
A few years ago at SW a lakester went thru inspection and was on a run later in the day, got crossed up and flipped. During re-inspection of the vehicle we found a piece of 4" foam rubber in the car. The crew admitted adding it after Insp. The driver got loose in the car due to the padding. He had several broken bones because he was loose. It  was also not fire proof but could have added to the problem if a fire had occured.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline greyduck

• New folks
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2013, 02:35:49 PM »
We were just discussing the padding the other night on a full containment seat..  we're thinkin that just a few chucks of leather stitched together would act as both a good softish pad and not burn ur booty..
Josh
HRGC Racing.com
Picasaweb.google.com/bullitt01536